• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easily my most worn pair.. Unlined BB LHS.
image.jpg

Jimmy R

Reaction score
Welcome, glad you came over from the "Dark Side". Actually, AE has some really good footwear, Alden is just better :)

Haha, no disrespect toward Allen Edmonds. Ashley in the AE 2021 thread has been and will continue to be amazing.

The problem is that all of the shoes I like from them are basically on the 65 Last, and it's just not the best fit for my feet. I'm really happy to have converted to Alden.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha, no disrespect toward Allen Edmonds. Ashley in the AE 2021 thread has been and will continue to be amazing.

The problem is that all of the shoes I like from them are basically on the 65 Last, and it's just not the best fit for my feet. I'm really happy to have converted to Alden.
AE was my start into GYW footwear, and I will always have a soft spot for them. Agree on AE Ashley and other SA's that have been on that thread. It is just that Alden fit my feet better and are, well......Alden.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Same problem here. The 65 does not work for me. The 511 sort of works but they only have 2 shoes on it; the Wilbert and Leeds. I own a Wilbert and do not like the current Leeds colors (black and cigar).

For me, the Alden Modified last was literally life changing with the Barrie a very close second. I can also make the Van work and need to try the 379X but that is not used very much and is only found in special make-ups.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First-time poster in the Alden thread here. A couple of months ago, I tried on some Color 8 Indy Boots at The Shoe Mart in CT. The fit ruined all of my Allen Edmonds for me and led me to defect to you guys. The Truebalance last is so perfect for me, with the Barrie Last coming in a really close second. I currently own Color 8 Indys, Chukkas, Plain Toe Boots, and Punch Cap Toe Boots. The Grant last on the Punch Cap Toes doesn't fit me as well as the Barrie, so I'm thinking about selling them in the marketplace, but I'm really happy with Alden's quality, appearance, and fit!

Welcome. Your trip path here is well known.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same problem here. The 65 does not work for me. The 511 sort of works but they only have 2 shoes on it; the Wilbert and Leeds. I own a Wilbert and do not like the current Leeds colors (black and cigar).

For me, the Alden Modified last was literally life changing with the Barrie a very close second. I can also make the Van work and need to try the 379X but that is not used very much and is only found in special make-ups.
It's funny, but the 65 last in AE is just about perfect for me but Alden lasts just fit better overall.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Any chance you may know the real world detailed [as above] difference between 379X and Modified?
Modified is longer, have a higher instep, and even narrower heel than 379x. Also, the toebox on modified is tilting inward while 379x is (relatively) straight. Just my 2 penny.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello Indys today...
20210507_151144.jpg

Do people here wear Trubalance Indys with formal trousers ?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello Indys today...
View attachment 1606022

Do people here wear Trubalance Indys with formal trousers ?

Heck yeah. Don't get hung up on SF foo-paa's. With Alden shell's, in the overwhelming majority of business settings, you will likely be the best dressed gent in the room, regardless of make or last.

BTW, those Indy"s are amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads