• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DG123

Reaction score
Depends on the retailer. Some bigger retailers get multiple allocations of whiskey and/or ravello per year, in amounts varying from 12 pair all the way up to 24 pair per allocation. Other smaller retailers might only get one allocation per year or even one every other year.

Each retailer handles the pre-sale/reservation process differently. Some operate on first-come first-served word of mouth when the order comes in, others take pre-orders (either by reaching out to their VIP/best customers first or by working off of request lists). On occasion, there will be pairs left over in inventory, but these days, the trend is to pre-fill the order (and this way they can also accommodate size requests). The larger retailers with established systems for rare shell tend not to have pairs left over, although the factory stores (Alden SF and Alden DC) do often have pairs available that are not spoken for when the order arrives.

Thanks for providing such helpful information. My Alden size is B width, which means the opportunity for me to buy a pair of shell shoes or shoots will likely have to come through the pre-order process.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Some people have a thing about twisted laces. I have a thing about twisted granny knots. I'm shocked that not everyone on this forum does a square knot or some other symmetrical knot.

The best site for lacing patterns and knots (at least that I am aware of...).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best site for lacing patterns and knots (at least that I am aware of...).

It is the main reference place for lacing shoes/boots.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people have a thing about twisted laces. I have a thing about twisted granny knots. I'm shocked that not everyone on this forum does a square knot or some other symmetrical knot.
don't use Granny knots any more as they never lay at a right angle to the shoe/boot. Although I don't care about twisted laces, I do want the knot to sit at right angles, Berlutti knot does this for me.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't use Granny knots any more as they never lay at a right angle to the shoe/boot. Although I don't care about twisted laces, I do want the knot to sit at right angles, Berlutti knot does this for me.

I never really see my knot getting twisted. Like, I see some people who have their knots all messed up, especially wearing sneakers, but I have never once had that problem just with the normal bunny ears knot.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I never really see my knot getting twisted. Like, I see some people who have their knots all messed up, especially wearing sneakers, but I have never once had that problem just with the normal bunny ears knot.

Yes, because your knot is probably balanced. The main issue with granny knots is functional even more than aesthetic. I say that as someone who unknowingly used a granny knot until I was called out on it right here at SF some years back and re-taught myself to do a balanced knot.

I'd blame my parents but I see now that it can be a bit of brain exercise teaching children how to properly tie laces from the opposite perspective. ?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday’s choice of footwear: snuff Indy.
I think the 4011HC looks best with braided laces or thin round cord laces.
57ACC839-9ECC-47D6-A4A6-42E8AA7D8E1C.jpeg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which ones do you recommend?
A pair of Vibergs I purchased came with an extra pair of thin cord laces and I'll use those occasionally, but guarded good's laces are overall well-received.

I'm personally waiting for the brown and burgundy to be restocked and a few other laces to place an order.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks tassel Tuesday

PXL_20210504_133829706.jpg
PXL_20210504_205714491.jpg
PXL_20210504_205725411.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which ones do you recommend?
The matching Alden Snuff round laces can be purchased from The Shoe Mart. 54" snuff round laces.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very excited to post my newest addition to the wardrobe... No spoiler for the goodies!

I've been after one of these for a long time, but it was never in the cards. When the opportunity presented itself, and with a few milestones approaching, including the birth of my first child I decided now was the time.

I keep eyeing my wrist during the day and I've momentarily stopped shoe gazing. Datejust on Super Jubilee, and this one has really knocked it out of the park; it's even better than photos suggest. I've certainly done some serious damage to the shoe budget for the foreseeable future!!

Without further ado...

PXL_20210503_213148217.jpg
PXL_20210503_213154164.jpg
PXL_20210504_012009470.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads