• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey. I am new to Alden, and looking to buy my first pair of penny loafers. What is the difference between the LHS from the non-LHS penny loafers (for instance 9697F)? Is it merely construction/level handwork, or also aesthetic differences?
All penny loafers are equally made in construction and finishing. Only aesthetic differences.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anybody able to help with a real world experience compare and contrast?

9501 Natty CXL Lined PTB versus 29364F Brown CXL Unlined Dover/Derby
- I mentioned both in CXL but if someone has them both in suede that feedback would be great as well.
- Ignore color because TSM makes a brown version of the 9501 (left) similar to the stock 29364F color (right).
  • How will the lined fit compared to the unlined fit in the same size?
  • Will the lined/more-structured shoe be more (or less) comfortable than the unlined/less-structured shoe on very long walks (i.e. more than a few miles on city concrete and pavement)?
  • I understand the unlined shoe comes with a less thick and more flexible sole which does not really matter to me because soles get chewed up on city concrete sidewalks and replaced regularly. So, would it be foolish to resole the unlined dover with a thicker sole in the future if it took away from the fit/comfort characteristics of the shoe?
  • Is unlined truly more breathable and/or less hot so better for warmer weather?
  • Overall, why choose the lined PTB or the unlined Dover/Derby (ignoring color and leather type)?
    (looking for personal opinions based on real world experience)
  • Any other items that might make one choice better (or worse) than the other?

View attachment 1604025 View attachment 1604026
At the end of the day that’s all we’re mostly buying, brown footwear. Ravello, cigar, snuff etc.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day that’s all we’re really buying, brown footwear. Ravello, cigar, snuff etc.
Brown is a beautiful color with many shades and there is nothing wrong with owning many pairs of brown footwear.

JETTASY

Reaction score
RAVELLO in 2014 LHS and 2020 PTB.

9256CCE6-17B8-4345-8830-9662B044D0A7.jpeg
D3A0B03A-7E2E-4B1A-B6FD-D2F06AAA0633.jpeg

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
you can’t get these anymore, but Ealdwine Raleigh is doing a very similar pre-order right now.

Cheers. I'm partial to dark welts with color 8, so fingers crossed that Leffot does another run of their version based on the votes of their recent poll.

Ginuwine

Reaction score
No I really don’t but a cursory search led me to a few other similar brand name products like; de-solv-it, un-du and goof-off. Also found a plethora of natural and flammable alternatives (also personally untried) from dawn dishwashing detergent and baking soda to kerosine, olive oil and mayonnaise. Out of all of these, I’d be the most surprised if mayonnaise turns out to be the winner.

You've convinced me, mayonnaise it is. I'll let you know the results!

On a more serious note, I have been able to locate some googone for 5x the price, but its worth the shot lol

Thanks!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you like the Alden brand and walk miles on city sidewalks the Alden #405 with Neocork sole is best for that.

While I appreciate the response, Neocork is actually terrible for walking miles and miles because it has little to no give and as such can become very uncomfortable not giving the wearer much cushion. With that said, every person's needs are different so what works great for one person may be a terrible option for another.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While I appreciate the response, Neocork is actually terrible for walking miles and miles because it has little to no give and as such can become very uncomfortable not giving the wearer much cushion. With that said, every person's needs are different so what works great for one person may be a terrible option for another.
And I find neocork a nice sole for a boot. If I were walking miles and miles,,might prefer a leather sole.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've convinced me, mayonnaise it is. I'll let you know the results!

On a more serious note, I have been able to locate some googone for 5x the price, but its worth the shot lol

Thanks!
Smells like the mother of a million oranges. And so will every elevator you step into if you don’t go easy with it. You’re not looking for saturation or anything. Slow and steady, let the suede brush do the heavy lifting. Blot dry, a dot of neutral conditioner, blot dry, suede brush, it’ll work. If you use mayo, all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads