• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gucci if you're going there, IMHO
I grabbed a pair of Gucci, these were super affordable. I figured they would be good for the summer. I wasn’t sure if they were true to size or not.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Hey. I am new to Alden, and looking to buy my first pair of penny loafers. What is the difference between the LHS from the non-LHS penny loafers (for instance 9697F)? Is it merely construction/level handwork, or also aesthetic differences?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95F66149-FB1B-409F-A9A7-30830EFFE97F.jpeg

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Hey. I am new to Alden, and looking to buy my first pair of penny loafers. What is the difference between the LHS from the non-LHS penny loafers (for instance 9697F)? Is it merely construction/level handwork, or also aesthetic differences?

9697F is a version of the LHS, in unlined suede and with a flex welt. It’s a good choice if it fits and you like suede.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is anybody able to help with a real world experience compare and contrast?

9501 Natty CXL Lined PTB versus 29364F Brown CXL Unlined Dover/Derby
- I mentioned both in CXL but if someone has them both in suede that feedback would be great as well.
- Ignore color because TSM makes a brown version of the 9501 (left) similar to the stock 29364F color (right).
  • How will the lined fit compared to the unlined fit in the same size?
  • Will the lined/more-structured shoe be more (or less) comfortable than the unlined/less-structured shoe on very long walks (i.e. more than a few miles on city concrete and pavement)?
  • I understand the unlined shoe comes with a less thick and more flexible sole which does not really matter to me because soles get chewed up on city concrete sidewalks and replaced regularly. So, would it be foolish to resole the unlined dover with a thicker sole in the future if it took away from the fit/comfort characteristics of the shoe?
  • Is unlined truly more breathable and/or less hot so better for warmer weather?
  • Overall, why choose the lined PTB or the unlined Dover/Derby (ignoring color and leather type)?
    (looking for personal opinions based on real world experience)
  • Any other items that might make one choice better (or worse) than the other?

1620076246049.png
1620076279271.png

DG123

Reaction score
Is anybody able to help with a real world experience compare and contrast?

• Will the lined/more-structured shoe be more (or less) comfortable than the unlined/less-structured shoe on very long walks (i.e. more than a few miles on city concrete and pavement)

View attachment 1604025 View attachment 1604026
If you like the Alden brand and walk miles on city sidewalks the Alden #405 with Neocork sole is best for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads