• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I agree. It does stretch, but very minimal from my experience.

Shell is not stretchy. In the same size/model, I have found shell versions to be slightly looser [not tighter] than other leathers. This experience is also the general, conventional wisdom among most other forumites from my reading and is reportedly because it is difficult to as tightly pull the shell over the last relative to other leathers. The difference is usually not enough to change sizes unless you are a borderline size to begin with.

The experience described up-thread is more likely slight pair to pair variation, or perhaps inexperience with the stiffness of new shell uppers vs. suede/calf.

As for stretching shell -- as @JSO1 indicated shell can be stretched. I've done it with a pair of C&J loafers purposely using large shoe trees. Is it advisable? Probably not. But it can be done with care and my pair are probably a 1/4 size larger now with a little more room at the instep and ball.

As an aside, there are some calf leathers that I have found to be not really at all prone to stretching. For example, I have an old pair of Rider Dundalks in the reverso leather that was very popular years ago. Not prone to stretching in my experience. Just a pair that is top of mind at the moment. I am sure they could be forced to stretch but I don't see them as significantly more prone to stretch than cordovan.

Last edited:

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saddle day for me too -- I wore these (Ealdwine saddles) all over town yesterday and got a million compliments from people from all walks of life.
63D89818-07CC-4B9C-BD58-5F91697E3809_1_105_c.jpeg

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grail among grails arrived, Color 4 plain toe boots. Not only do I love the makeup but I believe these are the reddest pair of Color 4 that I've received to date.

CC65402D-7B9A-4129-9159-0752DD20D69A.jpeg
9B15C119-3329-4E22-8D30-DB1FC7E359DB.jpeg

But there's a very strange flaw with them that I've never seen with any other pair so let's play a game and see who can spot it first. Needless to say they may be on their way to Bedos very soon to get them up to snuff.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My grail among grails arrived, Color 4 plain toe boots. Not only do I love the makeup but I believe these are the reddest pair of Color 4 that I've received to date.

View attachment 1597093 View attachment 1597094

But there's a very strange flaw with them that I've never seen with any other pair so let's play a game and see who can spot it first. Needless to say they may be on their way to Bedos very soon to get them up to snuff.

Here is my answer. Spoilered so not to ruin the fun for others
It may be my screen colors, but it looks like the right boot has brown pipeing and the left has black. All that aside, dang those are pretty.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
We have a winner :)

That's an odd flaw. My recollection from passively following similar concerns on the viberg thread is that there wasn't a great fix. Hopefully you have better success because it's a gorgeous pair.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an odd flaw. My recollection from passively following similar concerns on the viberg thread is that there wasn't a great fix. Hopefully you have better success because it's a gorgeous pair.
Agreed, don't think anyone had luck over with the shell Vibergs that had the wrong color piping

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Agreed, don't think anyone had luck over with the shell Vibergs that had the wrong color piping

This is out of my realm of knowledge but I think the piping on some shoes is not always leather. I saw this discussed recently by a cobbler (actually, I think it may have been Steve Doudaklian) regarding a piping repair on a vintage shoe. This may explain why the dye didn't work. Let me see if I can find the comment...

nevermind, I was misremembering exactly what I had read... this was the comment

1619010075011.png

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good thing is, no one should really ever see that part of the boot.

Obviously you shouldn’t have to worry about this on a brand new pair. But in light of no good easy fix, I’d let it be.

(edited for iphone autocorrect errors)

Last edited:

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Steve at Bedos seems to think it should be a pretty easy dye job and I'm not sure why that wouldn't work. People dye entire uppers darker shades all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads