• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
379x does come in E width (I have a couple pairs). You just may need to special order it

And that's the rub, as I am still figuring out size, I do not want to special order until I know my size on that last.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a lovely looking boot. Funny how Ravello and brass was virtually unheard of (aside from the J.Crew Brassvello LWB) and now it seems like at least half, or more, of new Ravello makeups are being done with brass.

Happy Friday forum pals. It's a green suede day.

View attachment 1594458

I had a pair of these a long time ago and sold them. I regret it.

Duncan Indys today and some new Iron Heart ducks that I still need to get hemmed. In case you haven't heard, Alden Madison is doing a second run of the Duncan Indys so if you're interested in a pair drop them a line.

View attachment 1594531

I love suede Indys on wedge, such a great makeup.

These are great boots. If you can fit 8.5D on Modified, I just returned to TSM a pretty nice FD brown country calf PCT boot that didn't have any obvious external flaws (a little bit of something, perhaps the gemming, was peeking out at the the edge of the insole on the inside of the shoe though). I was trying it out for sizing.

lcdx22

Reaction score
That's a lovely looking boot. Funny how Ravello and brass was virtually unheard of (aside from the J.Crew Brassvello LWB) and now it seems like at least half, or more, of new Ravello makeups are being done with brass.

Yeah and I feel like it's been a brass fest this past year or so. More brass make ups than not. And only reason we don't see more is Alden won't allow it on #8, otherwise it would probably be almost everything.

Which is interesting that it took so long to get such embrace.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah and I feel like it's been a brass fest this past year or so. More brass make ups than not. And only reason we don't see more is Alden won't allow it on #8, otherwise it would probably be almost everything.

Which is interesting that it took so long to get such embrace.

I don’t know whether they previously didn’t “allow” brass on Ravello or something, but it’s definitely taken hold now. They did Amaretto with brass exclusively, and Mocha with brass on almost all makeups. Maybe that opened the floodgates a bit. They’d been doing Whiskey and brass (occasionally) for many years. Not sure about Cigar — I’ve seen a few more recently but can’t recall any/many before 2018 or so.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are great boots. If you can fit 8.5D on Modified, I just returned to TSM a pretty nice FD brown country calf PCT boot that didn't have any obvious external flaws (a little bit of something, perhaps the gemming, was peeking out at the the edge of the insole on the inside of the shoe though). I was trying it out for sizing.
These are Grant lasted.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday Alden brothers
31FC868F-15BE-423D-B66B-7B1AFC9E3927.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ah, I forgot about the fact that 379x doesn't have a full complement of sizes and widths. I guess Modified is what you're stuck with then.

I am not sure what your sticking point over color 8 is, but if you found your size in both makeups and you enjoy them, I would jump at them! If you're truly trying to stay casual, I would pick the LWB over the cap toe as you can dress up/down the LWB and wear it more easily. The cap toe lends itself to more formality (despite the fact that it's a blucher), so I would skip that if your heart is not set on color 8.

With regards to the suede pairs, I would pick the LWB to get yourself some new styles and select one of the cap toes in suede. If my memory serves me correctly, you picked up a plain toe in a green-ish suede from Moulded and that would give you 3 pairs to rotate through - LWB, plain toe suede, and cap toe suede.

If money is no object, you could buy both suede pairs, but I would tell you to venture into other Modified makeups like a boot (calf, suede, shell) or even a short wing blucher in suede (if that's made) rather than having 2 of the same makeup with such a small rotation.

Hope this helps and I didn't drag on.

This is all very helpful.

I am not a leprechaun with a pot full of gold ? but thankfully I am at a point my life where I no longer worry about spending money as I once did (I have always been a saver and investor rather than a spender).

It's not color 8, I am just too lazy and would not wear them enough to deal with shell bloom.

I am fixating on fit so I do not keep wasting money on shoes that do not fit well. It appears I am getting it figured out and headed in the correct direction because this has been my fit journey so far:
  • Brooks Brothers x Alden 10D on Copley loafers (too long and sold)
  • Brooks Brothers x Alden 10D on Snap cap toe bluchers (heel is much too wide, still have, might sell)
  • AE Wilbert 10D on 511 (good but far from great, I realized that if it did not have the padded area around the ankle they would probably be too big)
  • AE 9.5E on 65 (don't own any but can make this size work)
  • Carmina suede PTB 9UK/10US on Detroit, their widest last (once broken-in they are too long and realized I hate Dainite soles)
  • Meermin 9UK/10US on HOK (way too big and long. I think they are mismarked because they fit/felt like they are an 11US EEE
  • Alden 9503 and 9794 9.5D on Barrie (felt like the best fit so far, not sure if I should keep or sell)
  • Alden PTB and NST both suede special make-ups 9E on Modified at Moulded (even better fit than the 9.5D on Barrie)
  • Alden unlined CXL PTB stock shoe 9E on Barrie at AoM.
It seems my journey (pre- meeting with Ronnie from Moulded as suggested by @BAK) was already taking me to a shorter length and wider lasts for my forefoot. Ronnie suggested 9E on Modified was best based on his visual inspection of my feet (narrow heel, wide forefoot, and average arch and instep). This week AoM confirmed 9E on Barrie and not what they expected from my Brannock of 9.5D left and 10C right (which surprised me because I always though my left foot was bigger) but they also said that Brannock does not really account for the shape of my foot (aka narrow heel and flared/wide forefoot).

So, my journey continues as a 9E on Modified and Barrie. I know there is no such thing as a perfect fit especially when one factors stock sizing, leathers, models/styles, lasting, and manufacturing into the equation but I would like to at least have an ideal base size to work from.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay. You may have trouble finding a shop that stocks an E width 379x since it's a relatively uncommon last but you never know.

The only one I can think of is Brogue. Mack has a decent amount of 379X makeups and often orders small runs of E-widths along with a D-width run.

At the moment, he has 9E on 379X available in this makeup:

lcdx22

Reaction score
I don’t know whether they previously didn’t “allow” brass on Ravello or something, but it’s definitely taken hold now. They did Amaretto with brass exclusively, and Mocha with brass on almost all makeups. Maybe that opened the floodgates a bit. They’d been doing Whiskey and brass (occasionally) for many years. Not sure about Cigar — I’ve seen a few more recently but can’t recall any/many before 2018 or so.

Yeah and I am sure a need for some new makeups drove some of it as well. Even outside of shell it's been really popular lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads