• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would ask all of you, fellow Alden enthusiasts, to join me in a moment of silence as part of my day of mourning because I will probably never wear a 2 eyelet Chukka. I know this will only give @audog more reason to push his love for the 6 eyelet demi-boot but I am simply not a fan of it.

Yesterday I visited AoM to try on Barrie lasted suede chukkas only to realize that my narrow heel will not work with them. The 9.5D was too long. The 9E was a better overall fit but by heel was moving way too much up and down as well as side to side. They tried a tongue pad on the 9E which mostly solved the up and down but the lateral movement was unnerving. I also tried a Barrie lasted unlined suede PTB to confirm our thoughts and the 9.5D is probably too long and not wide enough whereas the 9E was a better overall fit and no heel slip due to more eyelets and more lacing.

I will post later asking about the differences in 9.5D and 9E but for now I mourn...no Chukkas for me.
(Snuff lined on Goodyear and Tan lined on Crepe)
1618505505786.png
1618505539659.png
IMG_2604.jpg

Last edited:

lcdx22

Reaction score
I would ask all of you, fellow Alden enthusiasts, to join me in a moment of silence as part of my day of mourning because I will probably never wear a 2 eyelet Chukka. I know this will only give @audog more reason to push his love for the 6 eyelet demi-boot but I am simply not a fan of it.

Yesterday I visited AoM to try on Barrie lasted suede chukkas only to realize that my narrow heel will not work with them. The 9.5D was too long. The 9E was a better overall fit but by heel was moving way too much up and down as well as side to side. They tried a tongue pad on the 9E which mostly solved the up and down but the lateral movement was unnerving. I also tried a Barrie lasted unlined suede PTB to confirm our thoughts and the 9.5D is probably too long and not wide enough whereas the 9E was a better overall fit and no heel slip due to more eyelets and more lacing.

I will post later asking about the differences in 9.5D and 9E but for now I mourn...no Chukkas for me.
View attachment 1593778 View attachment 1593779

Why not try the Leydon last Chukka? Or is unlined out of the equation?

lcdx22

Reaction score
As someone else later to the game on Alden collecting (really didn't take off until 2018 or so), I've had a lot of luck the past couple of years on expanding my exotic stable. My $0.02 is that there aren't really as many high spend VIP only exotic retailers as people sometimes make it out to be (but there certainly are a couple). For shops without fully open lists, it's moreso cultivating a relationship with that retailer than anything else. Yes, one way to build on that relationship is obviously by buying a bunch of stuff from them but I can't even say how many pairs I've acquired just by regularly keeping in touch with retailers or just asking at the right time, and these are mostly shops where I haven't placed a ton of orders.

Even the larger retailers will only get an exotic allocation every few months (and smaller shops may go years in between) and if you don't put some effort into staying in touch with them from time to time, their run is likely going to be filled by the time they remember that random guy who bought one pair from them over a year ago and then never reached out since.

What he said. I purchased my first pair of Alden last May. And have been able to get my hands on rare shell since. As mentioned for sure buying from a retailer helps but it's not the only way. Stay engaged, reach out and ask.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why not try the Leydon last Chukka? Or is unlined out of the equation?

Leydon = too narrow.

I have been told by the experts (Moulded and AoM) that I can fit Modified, Barrie, and maybe Van (in that order) but anything else will not work for me due to my wide forefoot (aka flared) and very narrow heel.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1593778 View attachment 1593779 View attachment 1593812
I have nothing against "normal" chukkas, just prefer the 6 eye Demi-boot.

DG123

Reaction score
Hello All,
On a Brannock I measure AA heel and ball width of B, size length of 12. For decades, in most brands 13B has been the size I purchase and wear, though the fit is usually not ideal.
I am grateful to Alden for producing the size 12.5 B model 405 Indy boot. It is probably a combination of the Trubalance last, that it is a boot vs low , the Neocork sole , the Thomas heel, and the work boot leather that provide me the best fitting and most comfortable walking footwear I've ever worn. Below is a photo of my 8 year old 405's next to my brand new pair of same.
Also, if any other Indy boot B width customers here at Styleforum could recommend for me a low cut casual Alden shoe model which is offered in the B width, one well suited for wearing around the house, I would appreciate it.
IMG_9093.JPG

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
On a Brannock I measure AA heel and ball width of B, size length of 12. For decades, in most brands 13B has been the size I purchase and wear, though the fit is usually not ideal.
I am grateful to Alden for producing the size 12.5 B model 405 Indy boot. It is probably a combination of the Trubalance last, that it is a boot vs low , the Neocork sole , the Thomas heel, and the work boot leather that provide me the best fitting and most comfortable walking footwear I've ever worn. Below is a photo of my 8 year old 405's next to my brand new pair of same.
Also, if any other Indy boot B width customers here at Styleforum could recommend for me a low cut casual Alden shoe model which is offered in the B width, one well suited for wearing around the house, I would appreciate it. View attachment 1593828
Another 13B here who goes 12.5B on trubal and Barrie. I’ve found that Alden will make those sizes for you in anything if you get your name in on a preorder. Nobody stocks our size routinely. Not enough of us to make doing so worthwhile.

DG123

Reaction score
Leydon = too narrow.

I have been told by the experts (Moulded and AoM) that I can fit Modified, Barrie, and maybe Van (in that order) but anything else will not work for me due to my wide forefoot (aka flared) and very narrow heel.

What is your size in a Truebalance or Modified last shoe/boot?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of my favorite shoes! They're absolute classics.

I think only a handful of us have this makeup, but it's so perfect and clean looking.

Hello All,
Also, if any other Indy boot B width customers here at Styleforum could recommend for me a low cut casual Alden shoe model which is offered in the B width, one well suited for wearing around the house, I would appreciate it. View attachment 1593828

Nice looking boots and happy you found something to fit!

You should check out Modified last.... You will likely wear the same size, 12.5B. Very tight and comfortable heel cup and a nice area for the toes to splay.

Call Moulded Shoe in NYC. Ronnie will be happy to help out.

Sheepdog

Reaction score
Where can I find a schedule for upcoming Alden trunk shows? (assuming any are planned in light of health concerns, etc.)

Thanks!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Looking to sell my 10.5D midnight suede Ottawa boot. Worn only a handful of times and the soles are basically brand new.

I haven't worn these as much as they deserve for a gorgeous boot, so I hope to find them a new home. Will ship with bags and the flannel bonus cloth plus three sets of laces (blue, Guarded Goods in the boots, and leather).

Please PM for further discussion.

PXL_20210120_013422251.jpg

PXL_20210120_013427983.jpg

PXL_20210120_013438477.jpg

PXL_20210120_013509675.jpg

PXL_20210120_013531106.jpg

PXL_20210120_013552339.jpg

Clearing out some Navy suede... Any 10.5D Barrie will enjoy these.

Selling Grant Stone NST boots.

Alden x J Crew - Navy Suede Wingtip boot - 10.5D - Barrie Last

Gents, letting go of my Navy Suede wingtip boots. A rare makeup that was offered by J. Crew in the 2013. Double leather sole and they've been treated with a healthy dose of waterproofer. Original box and brand new flat laces (in photo) are included.

Haven't worn them around too much, so let's get them to a good home!

Please PM to discuss.

View attachment 1593873 View attachment 1593874 View attachment 1593875 View attachment 1593876 View attachment 1593877 View attachment 1593878 View attachment 1593879

Posting here for visibility as well; full post in Alden B/S/T.

Selling my Navy suede WTB, 10.5D.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
Nice looking boots and happy you found something to fit!

You should check out Modified last.... You will likely wear the same size, 12.5B. Very tight and comfortable heel cup and a nice area for the toes to splay.

Call Moulded Shoe in NYC. Ronnie will be happy to help out.

Moulded Shoe typically does not carry any Modified last size 12.5B footwear, so I don't believe I could try on a pair of Modified 12.5B. In the past I've tried to order a pair from them but the shop rep (s) have told me they prefer to sell only to those who have tried on a pair and, or, have been fit at their shop. I am in California , but maybe one day I will visit NYC and get a fitting.
In the meantime I respect the Moulded Shoe store policy, which seems to be a high level of professionalism and integrity.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moulded Shoe typically does not carry any Modified last size 12.5B footwear, so I don't believe I could try on a pair of Modified 12.5B. In the past I've tried to order a pair from them but the shop rep (s) have told me they prefer to sell only to those who have tried on a pair and, or, have been fit at their shop. I am in California , but maybe one day I will visit NYC and get a fitting.
In the meantime I respect the Moulded Shoe store policy, which seems to be a high level of professionalism and integrity.

They can certainly run a 12.5B, but then you'd stuck with that makeup.

Found one (probably not your style) in 12.5. There may be more.

Interesting, well best of luck with finding your makeup. Alden allows some stores to carry a couple of Modified makeups, but the legacy ones like Moulded are where Modified has its home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads