• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Grant Stone Maduro and C&J Dark Brown are in fact different leathers? I have a pair of Ludwig Reiter in dark brown shell that also looks and fades like the Alden cigar I know.
Yeah anything called cigar or dark brown horween shell is dark cognac, unless from Alden. The maduro from GS is Dark Cognac with a finish applied to it similar to how they change natural shell to honey glazed.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would you guys keep these LHS seconds? As far as I can tell the “defect” is some uneven nap length on the suede. This is most prominent on the left vs right strap in the picture below:

6BC97BCD-8602-4F65-9319-44E0FB43E793.jpeg

242758AF-DFBE-477A-8113-F4AE94302FD6.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
would you guys keep these LHS seconds? As far as I can tell the “defect” is some uneven nap length on the suede. This is most prominent on the left vs right strap in the picture below:

View attachment 1593071
View attachment 1593072
Take a flame, lighter for instance, and run it past the strap. It will singe off and reduce the nap. Obviously don't hold the flame on it so as to scortch, just use it to singe. If it doesn't smooth out enough for you, then you could return or use a wire suede brush on the other strap to even them out.
I have done so myself on some suede, especially after I had to perform some maintenance on it (which included using a wire brush to scuff it up to hide a scratch, which caused excess nap in places that I then singed).

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first wool tie and the dimensions are spot on.

Full strap to keep it classy midweek.

PXL_20210414_133950372.jpg
PXL_20210414_133510830.jpg
PXL_20210414_133514685.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take a flame, lighter for instance, and run it past the strap. It will singe off and reduce the nap. Obviously don't hold the flame on it so as to scortch, just use it to singe. If it doesn't smooth out enough for you, then you could return or use a wire suede brush on the other strap to even them out.
I have done so myself on some suede, especially after I had to perform some maintenance on it (which included using a wire brush to scuff it up to hide a scratch, which caused excess nap in places that I then singed).
You beat me to it. If I were the OP, I'd keep them if they fit well and wear them as casual wear, if the singe with a flame didn't quite do the trick and make them more "formal".

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1593071
View attachment 1593072
I’d be more inclined to use a stiff bristle on the low nap shoe to see if that balances things out. I’ve also used a sweater shaver with varying degrees of success.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I’m not sure I’m brave enough to take a lighter to my shoes but I’ll try the sweater shaver perhaps. I’m keeping them either way.

frankmartin

Reaction score

View attachment 1593071
View attachment 1593072
Maybe it's just the photos, but the color doesn't seem to match between the shoes. The strap definitely looks off on the right one in the picture. I would send those back.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he was referring to fattybfat's account of the Alden retailer's "vague self serving statement" about having to spend enough to become a local VIP. I have to agree as someone who was "late" to the Alden game (~2016/2017) that the attitude of "sorry, you have to spend a ton with one retailer just to be allowed to even ask about rare shell" is kind of a turn off for the brand, despite my love of many of the shoes/boots.

Add that to the fact that although I probably own 20+ pairs of Alden, I have never spent a ton at any single retailer as there is such a wide variety of make ups available through many different avenues (again, a positive for Alden).

The Shoe Mart does a good job of allowing peasants like me to be eligible for rare shell. And sometimes you get lucky with a "right place right time" kind of thing. Otherwise, it's more of a "the rich get richer" scenario with Alden rare shell. And I can understand it to some degree (only so much to go around, so give long term/high volume buyers preference), but it's otherwise a silly exercise in exclusivity.

As someone else later to the game on Alden collecting (really didn't take off until 2018 or so), I've had a lot of luck the past couple of years on expanding my exotic stable. My $0.02 is that there aren't really as many high spend VIP only exotic retailers as people sometimes make it out to be (but there certainly are a couple). For shops without fully open lists, it's moreso cultivating a relationship with that retailer than anything else. Yes, one way to build on that relationship is obviously by buying a bunch of stuff from them but I can't even say how many pairs I've acquired just by regularly keeping in touch with retailers or just asking at the right time, and these are mostly shops where I haven't placed a ton of orders.

Even the larger retailers will only get an exotic allocation every few months (and smaller shops may go years in between) and if you don't put some effort into staying in touch with them from time to time, their run is likely going to be filled by the time they remember that random guy who bought one pair from them over a year ago and then never reached out since.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the photos, but the color doesn't seem to match between the shoes. The strap definitely looks off on the right one in the picture. I would send those back.
In general, I think it’s just the way the nap is laying on them. But yes the strap with the hairier nap is slightly darker for sure. I expect that could be resolved by pruning the nap

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hello all, Got my first Alden boots and posting some pictures. These are the Alden Plaza Last Indy boots Shell Color 8 made for Gentleman Footwear and I am very impressed by these boots.

View attachment 1593130 View attachment 1593131
View attachment 1593135 View attachment 1593136
View attachment 1593132 View attachment 1593133 View attachment 1593134

Awesome boots!

BUT!! Hold on a sec... I thought we were just discussing recently, probably a few dozen pages back that Alden would not do split reverse welts on plaza? Or have I failed reading comprehension (entirely possible)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads