• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

broiler

Reaction score
I must have lost my mind this afternoon because I lined up all my dress/casual shoes and asked my lovely wife for her advice. I will spare you the full back and forth but here are some of the highlights (her words):
  • You have too many brown shoes
  • I don't like those McDonald's ones (pointing to the LWB)
  • Why are those so orange (pointing to the AE Wilbert)
  • Those loafers aren't bad but why didn't you get Weejuns (pointing towards Rancounrt Pinch Penny)
View attachment 1591435 View attachment 1591436 View attachment 1591437 View attachment 1591438

After the initial unprompted comments I asked what she thinks is the next shoe I should buy. After knowing each other for 30 years and married for 20, she is not one to mince words and responded with: Are you ever going back to work? I mostly avoided the question and said that no matter what I will be in a much more casual dress of chinos (and maybe jeans) for work and similar on the weekend. She then took this as another opportunity to remind me how much she hates the "McDonald's shoes" (aka the LWB). I pressed her for an answer and received this response: Well, you should have got a Dirty Buck and a Brown Suede Chukka but since you already have that brown lace up (aka brown suede PTB) I think you need a Tan Suede Chukka.

I remembered someone (maybe @BAK) posted here or on IG that AoM just announced a new Desert Chukka Boot Tan Suede Barrie Crepe that seemed interesting to me. I showed it to my wife and her response was: You showed me it the last time we were at the store [AoM] and I already told you I liked it. I responded with: That one is on a different last, it has a leather sole, and you did not want to be in the store long enough [Covid] for me to try it on. Her final response: They are both Tan Suede Chukkas and only you and those other crazy people on that forum you read would notice the difference because normal people would not.

I will be at AoM this week double checking my size and placing an order. Anyone have advice on how to size for a Barrie lasted unlined Chukka (relative to lined Barrie lasted shoes) in case I can't make it to the store?

View attachment 1591441 View attachment 1591442 View attachment 1591443 View attachment 1591444

I think your "McDonald's shoes" look great but that categorization is frankly hilarious. My wife would probably say the same. I've been considering a pair of those to round out my collection of plain toe bluchers, oxfords and chukkas.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think your "McDonald's shoes" look great but that categorization is frankly hilarious. My wife would probably say the same. I've been considering a pair of those to round out my collection of plain toe bluchers, oxfords and chukkas.

They are a 9.5D if that is your size and you want a pair. They are brand new and only tried on indoors on carpet (not even walked in) so I am on the fence about selling them. The Modified last is an even better fit for me than Barrie so I have been considering just getting a few Modified lasted shoes from Moulded in NYC.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Loden have just landed!
IMG_7492.JPG
IMG_7494.JPG

frankmartin

Reaction score
I must have lost my mind this afternoon because I lined up all my dress/casual shoes and asked my lovely wife for her advice. I will spare you the full back and forth but here are some of the highlights (her words):
  • You have too many brown shoes
  • I don't like those McDonald's ones (pointing to the LWB)

Maybe you need some trousers to go with your LWBs?

print_all_over_me_3_trouser_trouser-mcdonalds-pants-moumou.jpg

Or maybe not.

broiler

Reaction score
They are a 9.5D if that is your size and you want a pair. They are brand new and only tried on indoors on carpet (not even walked in) so I am on the fence about selling them. The Modified last is an even better fit for me than Barrie so I have been considering just getting a few Modified lasted shoes from Moulded in NYC.

I'm 8D Barrie which is very comfortable, but I wonder if Modified would be better for me as well since I understand the heel is narrower. But either way, I'll likely hold off on another pair until I confirm what my return to office policy looks like this summer. If it ends up being permanent WFH I might just go full Ronald McDonald suit with shoes and all.

1618277256652.png

On closer inspection though, those look more like pitt boots with commando sole in shell color #2.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ravello LWBs for a work Tuesday.

IMG_0222.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads