• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoetree

Reaction score
I have always worn "dress" shoes with leather soles and had rubber sole protectors (aka toppers) put on them. The 9794 LWB and 9503 PTB both have the oiled leather soles but I am not sure if rubber sole protectors can be added so I may just wear them and when the soles need to be replaced go for non-oiled leather soles and have rubber sole protectors added. I like glued-on rubber sole protectors more than the Commando sole because it is easier and less expensive to replace (3 glued-on sole protectors for about each 1 full resole) than the Commando which is stitched-on and requires a full resole when the rubber portion wears out.

My first ever pair of Dailnite-like full rubber soles came on a pair of Carmina PTBs I purchased last summer and the experience has taught me that I hate hard full rubber soles with the passion of 1000 suns. Softer/blown rubber soles such as the Othello sole on my AE Wilbert is actually quite nice and comfortable. So, going forward I will continue to use full leather soles and rubber sole protectors for my "urban" shoes (or blown rubber soles such as the Alden branded Goodyear or Vibram ones they offer on some shoes and boots).
I agree with your preference for sole protectors. If you walk around a lot on pavement it’s hard to find a better combination of comfort and durability than a double leather / sole protector combo. The neocork sole is also one of my favorites. Comfortable and nearly bulletproof. I don’t put sole protectors on oiled soles. I was told that because of the oil, the glue is not as effective. Metal toe plates are a good option though. I’ve put them on a few pairs. Enjoy your shoes in the city. The good news is that when they finally wear out, you don’t have to walk far for a repair or a replacement.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree with your preference for sole protectors. If you walk around a lot on pavement it’s hard to find a better combination of comfort and durability than a double leather / sole protector combo. The neocork sole is also one of my favorites. Comfortable and nearly bulletproof. I don’t put sole protectors on oiled soles. I was told that because of the oil, the glue is not as effective. Metal toe plates are a good option though. I’ve put them on a few pairs. Enjoy your shoes in the city. The good news is that when they finally wear out, you don’t have to walk far for a repair or a replacement.

I don't do toe taps because they can ruin wood floors and get caught on some types of carpet but most importantly because I do not wear out my toes any faster than the rest of the sole (and don't like the clicking sound I hear when others have taps installed).

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Gentlemen, as you have seen, please find the recently run Color #4 Medallion Cap Toe Bluchers. Such an amazing rendition of this fine and unique blucher...

Alden Color #4 MCT Bluchers - 2.jpg

Alden Color #4 MCT Bluchers - 9.jpg

Alden Color #4 MCT Bluchers - 22.jpg

Alden Color #4 MCT Bluchers - 46.jpg

With my recent #4's...

Alden Color #4 MCT Bluchers - 28.jpg

And with their Ravello twins.

Alden Color #4 MCT Bluchers - 54.jpg

More pictures can be found here... Actual text to come soon!

-Mike

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, as you have seen, please find the recently run Color #4 Medallion Cap Toe Bluchers. Such an amazing rendition of this fine and unique blucher...

View attachment 1589035

View attachment 1589036

View attachment 1589037

View attachment 1589039

With my recent #4's...

View attachment 1589038

View attachment 1589040

-Mike

Great pics Mike, mine are do to be delivered tomorrow... can't wait!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1589035

View attachment 1589036

View attachment 1589037

View attachment 1589039

With my recent #4's...

View attachment 1589038

View attachment 1589040

-Mike
WOW

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been working outdoors all day in the other "A" company boots, which I must admit are going to be sold or donated. My feet are not liking them (Dainite sole). Switched
IMG_7459.JPG
to a more "proper" boot for the late afternoon and trip to get a Shingles vaccination, which my wife tells me I need (?).

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I thought it was an AE thing but now I am starting to realize that I do not do well ordering shoes online, especially factory seconds, so this might be my final time (at least for the foreseeable future).

Would it make sense that if I am a good candidate for the Modified last, that I would be a 9E on Modified (confirmed in-person by Ronnie of Moulded Shoe via trying on several Modified lasted shoes) and 9.5D on Barrie (not confirmed by Ronnie but rather via shoes I currently own and were the best fit of any shoe from any brand before I learned about the Modified last)?

Should I try a 9E on Barrie and see if it fits even better than the 9.5D I currently assume works for me?

IMG_2587_rotated.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1589035

View attachment 1589036

View attachment 1589037

View attachment 1589039

With my recent #4's...

View attachment 1589038

View attachment 1589040

-Mike
Gasp!
Those are outstanding guys Congrats!

lcdx22

Reaction score

Those are to die 4.

View attachment 1589035

View attachment 1589036

View attachment 1589037

View attachment 1589039

With my recent #4's...

View attachment 1589038

View attachment 1589040

-Mike

Great pictures as always. Super excited for my pair to arrive tomorrow!

nbernie

Reaction score
whiskey bal to get my first shot. Turns out I was scheduled yesterday. Walked to a bunch of pharmacies. No extras. Took the subway back to Brooklyn. As I pull into the station, call from one of the pharmacies I visited - one shot left if I can get back in 20. Hop on the train other way. Conductor comes on, there’s a track fire, no service. Run upstairs, get in a cab, make it with 1 minute until the shot expires, get vaccinated. Felt like a Seinfeld episode; can attest Aldens are not made for a full tilt sprint; these shoes now have quite a good memory associated with them.
F694D75D-1AC0-406E-83A6-6BE53098D248.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads