• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only about 4 people have "got it" on the license plate in about twenty years, and ALL have been in the Chemistry department at University of Illinois...most think it refers to something from Australia, or have no clue at all. It makes me happy when random strangers get it right.

shoetree

Reaction score
6AC745AD-4CDC-4F87-BBB1-0E5C5DA729DB.jpeg

king ? indy

Profligate47

Reaction score
Only about 4 people have "got it" on the license plate in about twenty years, and ALL have been in the Chemistry department at University of Illinois...most think it refers to something from Australia, or have no clue at all. It makes me happy when random strangers get it right.
So obvious but nevertheless cool.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Day 2 - Initial Treatment Plan - Saphir Invulner Waterproof spray
(Day 1 was Saphir Renovateur conditioning spray)

I am so glad it is nice out and I can keep all the apartment windows open because while I sprayed them outside, I still feel like I am choking on this stuff it smells so bad (but not nearly as bad as other waterproof sprays). The suede colors will lighten up as the waterproof spray dries.

IMG_2583.jpg

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Au.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a wingtip Wednesday. (Of course, most days are wingtips for me.)

IMG_0206.jpg

aaronj15

Reaction score
I have had a difficult relationship with shoes living in an urban area. I want to have nice ones but because I am not part of the truly gilded class, I walk everywhere and nice shoes get ruined over time no matter how much you take care of them. I learned from my grandparents and parents that one should purchase quality items, take care of them, use them, and mend as needed but still I have a weird relationship with nice shoes.

I have posted about it before so I will keep this brief but I purchased 4 pair of Brooks Brothers x Alden shoes several years ago and never wore them because they were "too nice". Fast forward to today and I realized that the size and shape of my feet have changed over time so they no longer fit and sadly were never worn. I sold the 2 loafers months ago at a significant loss and I should probably sell the calfskin cap toe bluchers as well.

In January, I purchased the 9794 LWB and 9503 PTB (seen below). I have posted a few "try-on" pics of the 9794 but have not actually worn them outside or even in the apartment. The first excuse I told myself was there was too much salt/snow on the ground even though urban areas have much more crap on the streets that would ruin shoes just the same. I told myself the same excuse in February. March rolled around and I thought since I am still WFH I should "save them" for when things get better after the pandemic and I go outside more often and to more interesting places. Now it is April and I worry history was starting to repeat itself by purchasing nice shoes but never actually wearing them.

I am not sure why I have this weird connection with shoes since it is not like I cannot afford them or even afford to replace them if they are truly ruined beyond repair. Most importantly, I am not willing to spend money on a shrink to figure out why (and yes, I acknowledge it is a very New York thing to even consider seeing a shrink about my relationship with nice shoes :rolleyes:).

So, I decided to break the streak and get them ready to actually wear outside. I give you the Alden 9794 LWB and 9503 PTB with a coat of Saphir Renovateur Suede and Nubuck conditioning spray. They will dry for 24 hours and then receive a coat of Saphir Super Invulner waterproofing spray. They will then dry for another 24 hours after that. I am hopeful they will be ready for their initial outings this coming Saturday and Sunday.

I am excited because these are supposed to be the base for my new more casual wardrobe.

View attachment 1588194
I can definitely relate to you as I also live in an urban area and do/did a lot of walking to and from work and just around the city in general. What kind of soles are on the 9794 LWB? I have a pair of whiskey PTB with a leather sole that I have yet to wear. There is just too much "crap" and debris due to construction that just get embedded in the leather soles and tear them up. I told myself I would start wearing them to the office once we go back, and replace the soles to commando once I wear through the leather ones. From one urbanite to another - Hoping you find peace with your situation and enjoy your shoes!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can definitely relate to you as I also live in an urban area and do/did a lot of walking to and from work and just around the city in general. What kind of soles are on the 9794 LWB? I have a pair of whiskey PTB with a leather sole that I have yet to wear. There is just too much "crap" and debris due to construction that just get embedded in the leather soles and tear them up. I told myself I would start wearing them to the office once we go back, and replace the soles to commando once I wear through the leather ones. From one urbanite to another - Hoping you find peace with your situation and enjoy your shoes!

I have always worn "dress" shoes with leather soles and had rubber sole protectors (aka toppers) put on them. The 9794 LWB and 9503 PTB both have the oiled leather soles but I am not sure if rubber sole protectors can be added so I may just wear them and when the soles need to be replaced go for non-oiled leather soles and have rubber sole protectors added. I like glued-on rubber sole protectors more than the Commando sole because it is easier and less expensive to replace (3 glued-on sole protectors for about each 1 full resole) than the Commando which is stitched-on and requires a full resole when the rubber portion wears out.

My first ever pair of Dailnite-like full rubber soles came on a pair of Carmina PTBs I purchased last summer and the experience has taught me that I hate hard full rubber soles with the passion of 1000 suns. Softer/blown rubber soles such as the Othello sole on my AE Wilbert is actually quite nice and comfortable. So, going forward I will continue to use full leather soles and rubber sole protectors for my "urban" shoes (or blown rubber soles such as the Alden branded Goodyear or Vibram ones they offer on some shoes and boots).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads