• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mdubs Thanks for another great monthly topic of discussion.

When I think about the one that got away, it's oddly not a rare shell model.

Starting in 2011, Leffot ran a great wingtip boot in reverse tobacco chamois. It was their Greenwich Boot. It was detailed with all eyelets, 360 reverse welt, and commando soles. Those were the days when Leffot's Alden collabs sold out very quickly. They ran the boot a few times but I could get never get a slot. B+M and AoM ran similar versions, but to this day I've always coveted the Leffot version.

I recently contacted Steven at Leffot and asked if he would consider running it again, given that RTC is having a moment right now. He said he'd run the boot again. Let's hope that happens! If you're a fan, I'd definitely reach out to Steven at Leffot to see if he's going to run it soon !

View attachment 1567552
I have a similar experience as you do. Leffot did a run of the Greenwich boot in hunting green reverse chamois, they sold out and I found a pair in my size on eBay. I thought about it too long and they were sold.
1614917499063.png

TommyB

Reaction score
Cigar loafers on the Leydon last just arrived at my mother-in-law’s, who sent me this picture. Will not be able to try them on in a while since I won’t be back in the US until Christmas because of the pandemic. So patience really is a virtue, I guess.
I’m like a size 9.25D or so on the Brannock and went with size 9D. Will be interesting to see if they fit once I get the opportunity to try them on. :rolleyes:

1EECAF94-1FC0-4ABF-A638-6A46B6A2EDBB.jpeg

Last edited:

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigar loafers on the Leydon last just arrived at my mother-in-law’s, who sent me this picture. Will not be able to try them on until Christmas because of the pandemic. So patience really is a virtue, I guess.
I’m like a size 9.25D or so on the Brannock and went with size 9D. Will be interesting to see if they fit once I get the opportunity to try them on. :rolleyes:

View attachment 1567766
Were they the pair that was just listed on the bst? Lol if not, what a coincidence.

TommyB

Reaction score
Nice pair, enjoy them.
Thanks!

Considering I gambled a bit with the sizing I’d be very interested in hearing from others who bought this makeup how they fit compared to other lasts (or the Leydon suede chukkas).

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is the process? I’ve never even seen any whiskey/ravello/cigar shell make ups on anything other than these threads...

They don't post them online, which is what they used to do a number of years back (before I got into nice shoes and shell).

Gorgeous! Wear in good health!

Thank you! These are really something. You can almost see on the shaft (what I think used to be) hair follicles from the previous owner of this leather.

Despite what anyone may tell you, lighter shells are not perfect. There won't be big splotches or stains, but they each have their own character which is really, really cool.

Yup, similar here, other than just playing the waiting game. I'm sure there are those instances where you can call around and get lucky by a store having an unaccounted pair in your size stock, otherwise I guess just be patient and enjoy the shell Appreciation on this thread and IG pages.

@classicalthunde

Not the case for some others here who get calls seemingly all the time, but I have played the waiting game. A number of the ones I've gotten have just been on lists for some extended period of time. I have a few more coming from just that...

That said, I think once you get one or two pairs it becomes easier to get more; relationships are established, etc. Kind of like stock trading; once you have some more money to work with, you're able to place bets here and there and the money kind of snowballs.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigar loafers on the Leydon last just arrived at my mother-in-law’s, who sent me this picture. Will not be able to try them on in a while since I won’t be back in the US until Christmas because of the pandemic. So patience really is a virtue, I guess.

View attachment 1567766

Gorgeous! That's a really nice makeup.

Have another makeup in that exact last/style and Leydon is pretty true to size. Unlike some of Alden's other lasts where I have to tweak something (Barrie, Hampton, etc.) Leydon fits spot on.

I Brannock 11D and Leydon is 11D. It has a very good heel pocket and the forefoot and ball of the foot is pretty generous compared to its sister last, Aberdeen. Unless you have some one off features like super flat feet (can be cured with tongue pads) or really high arches (you might be in trouble there), I think your 9.25 will feet in these 9s just fine.

Please report back on fit, but I know we'll be waiting until Christmas(and this time it's not a joke about waiting until Christmas)!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you for this! I'll definitely be reaching out to Leffot! These remind me of the make-up by The Stronghold with their Hummus Suede Wingtip Boot.
View attachment 1567748

I pre-ordered a pair of Loden Suede Plain Toe Boots from Ealdwine and will need to go back in this thread and and see all the pics & comparison feedback people posted on which color will give the greatest contrast since I don't wanna buy multiple colors of boots (besides Snuff since that's flexible).
I'll just put these here so you don't have to go back too far
IMG_6391.JPG

TommyB

Reaction score
Gorgeous! That's a really nice makeup.

Have another makeup in that exact last/style and Leydon is pretty true to size. Unlike some of Alden's other lasts where I have to tweak something (Barrie, Hampton, etc.) Leydon fits spot on.

I Brannock 11D and Leydon is 11D. It has a very good heel pocket and the forefoot and ball of the foot is pretty generous compared to its sister last, Aberdeen. Unless you have some one off features like super flat feet (can be cured with tongue pads) or really high arches (you might be in trouble there), I think your 9.25 will feet in these 9s just fine.

Please report back on fit, but I know we'll be waiting until Christmas(and this time it's not a joke about waiting until Christmas)!
Thanks for this. No high arches, if anything the opposite. I’ll only wear thin no-show socks or even go sockless, so hopefully it’ll work. I’ll report back, eventually.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. Hunting green suede LWBs for some work from home today. I'm surprised that the color is no longer available and has actually fallen in to the "one that got away" category.

IMG_0065.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads