• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OK Alden experts, was poking around TSM seconds site and found some lasts I have not heard of. I was wondering where each might fit on the last spectrum on page 1 of this thread. They are Orleans, Kendall, TruForm and Classic. Or are these made for specialty markets?

Orleans is brand new for the 702 and 704 models.
TruForm and Classic are from the old Cape Cop collection.
Never heard of Kendall.

Maybe @BAK can shed some light on these.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually get to leave the house today to meet with a customer for lunch. Adam's perfect AF53A gets the nod.

DSC00683.jpg
DSC00687.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what? Those dark edges really work. I might have to do the same.
View attachment 1567072

Great minds my-man. Yours look great but for me, the darker edges took them to the first team in my rotation. I know you're pretty good with this stuff but I will caution you about darkening storm edges. I have darkened quite a few flat welts with minimal issues but the top the the storm welt presented me with a unexpected challenge. There are a couple of spots where I can see the dye bleed onto the shell.

slows2k

Reaction score
OK Alden experts, was poking around TSM seconds site

A lot of stuff comes up on the Alden seconds site that makes me wonder where the heck it came from/who it was made for in the first place. Theres some damned obscure stuff there!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great minds my-man. Yours look great but for me, the darker edges took them to the first team in my rotation. I know you're pretty good with this stuff but I will caution you about darkening storm edges. I have darkened quite a few flat welts with minimal issues but the top the the storm welt presented me with a unexpected challenge. There are a couple of spots where I can see the dye bleed onto the shell.
Thanks for the head's up! I've always thought the redder tones of the antique somewhat clashed with the green tones of the cigar. Going more mahogany would certainly cure that!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the one that got away

Used to not be difficult to find navy/blue suede LWBs, even Alden SF stocked them, but 2 years ago I finally decided to take the plunge since they had gotten rarer. Supply and Advise and B&M carried them, but only B&M had my size in stock, which they had on their site for a long time. I waited a couple days to pull the trigger, thinking nothing of it, and called them at about 1300. They had sold the last pair in my size literally hours before, that morning. I put my name on the waiting list and started trolling, but now no one carries it and they have not had a restock in 2 years. Still no blue suede LWB production in sight!

Perfect makeup: Navy suede Barrie LWB, split reverse welt with antique edges, blind eyelets, double leather sole. Someday...
I put my name on the waiting list for that shoe with B+M in March 2019. Hoping to see a preorder for that one soon.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocking the new watch too, very nice!

? thanks!

Ooooooooo pulsation dial!!

Good eye! Truth be told I’d have preferred the Tachymeter scale but it’s a limited edition and I liked the black more than the blue version that had the tach.

I’ve found myself measuring my heart rate for fun.

darkclassic

Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

March 2021: The One That Got Away

Gentlemen, I wanted to kick off March 2021’s monthly topic. This is now our third monthly topic, and I expect that this one will bring out some fairly interesting stories. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

The theme is "The One That Got Away", what I mean by that phrase is which Alden did you either not pick up when you had the opportunity to (had to pass on), sold and now regret it, or something disastrous happened to them? I imagine most will be in the first of these categories, but tossed the third one in there in case someone's puppy chewed up their Color #4 Boot or UPS/FedEx lost their Brassvello LWB. They don't have to be a super exotic, it could be a good old classic as well.

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts (and I am sure discussions) this month!

-Mike

The firsts pair that comes to mind that were missed out by me are Mack's Fresco boot, though curiously they never did run a pair in my size. I've inquired a couple times about another run but no dice so far.
Brogue Fresco.jpg

A more recent pair that I snoozed on a bit too long was Adam's AoC-99. While I do wish I hadn't waited on these cool natty CXL saddles, I am looking forward to Madison's Lux pre order version that's in the works right now.
AoC-99.jpg

Today, however, I busted out an Alden that I DIDN'T sleep on - the mini tanker from Madison. Good stuff!
minitankers 030421.jpg

tudor ranger 030421.jpg

Cheers fellow shoe junkies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics