• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy V-tip Thursday everyone
IMG_7105.JPG

lcdx22

Reaction score
For all of you with a 13D, how have none of you purchased these yet?

They are another 25% off which means you can purchase a new and original Brooks Brothers x Alden tassel calfskin loafer for only $209.25. I am tempted to purchase them and then put them on eBay for twice the price.

I'm a 13D. No offense to anyone, I think they look cool. But for me personally, I cannot get over the fact that I associate tassels with 65+. And I am far from there.

I've had a chance to get a pair in cigar 3 times in the last year and have really considered it but at the end ended up passing.

Maybe one day. But you're right that is quite a deal.

a rare day at the office means the first outting for my new AOC-119 color 8 u-tip bluchers!

View attachment 1567043

Those are excellent. Mine are still waiting for their maiden voyage. The twisted laces are giving me anxiety :)

slows2k

Reaction score
Re: the one that got away

Used to not be difficult to find navy/blue suede LWBs, even Alden SF stocked them, but 2 years ago I finally decided to take the plunge since they had gotten rarer. Supply and Advise and B&M carried them, but only B&M had my size in stock, which they had on their site for a long time. I waited a couple days to pull the trigger, thinking nothing of it, and called them at about 1300. They had sold the last pair in my size literally hours before, that morning. I put my name on the waiting list and started trolling, but now no one carries it and they have not had a restock in 2 years. Still no blue suede LWB production in sight!

Perfect makeup: Navy suede Barrie LWB, split reverse welt with antique edges, blind eyelets, double leather sole. Someday...

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm a 13D. No offense to anyone, I think they look cool. But for me personally, I cannot get over the fact that I associate tassels with 65+. And I am far from there.

I've had a chance to get a pair in cigar 3 times in the last year and have really considered it but at the end ended up passing.

Maybe one day. But you're right that is quite a deal.

Get them now and stick in the back of the closet.

I don't think they are for 65+ but I do think they are not as casual as many people wear them. Also, @Ancestral Star shared this a few pages back...The guy in the pic has some grey but probably not yet 65+.

1614867356925.png

lcdx22

Reaction score
Get them now and stick in the back of the closet.

I don't think they are for 65+ but I do think they are not as casual as many people wear them. Also, @Ancestral Star shared this a few pages back...The guy in the pic has some grey but probably not yet 65+.

View attachment 1567046

Haha good idea. I saw that picture and they look really good there. I don't know, maybe I'm not confident enough to be so fashion forward, where I think these really shine in a casual setting. Otherwise it's with dress pants at which point it's old man lol.

But I've been working on convincing myself. Probably down the road I'll definitely get a pair.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: the one that got away

Used to not be difficult to find navy/blue suede LWBs, even Alden SF stocked them, but 2 years ago I finally decided to take the plunge since they had gotten rarer. Supply and Advise and B&M carried them, but only B&M had my size in stock, which they had on their site for a long time. I waited a couple days to pull the trigger, thinking nothing of it, and called them at about 1300. They had sold the last pair in my size literally hours before, that morning. I put my name on the waiting list and started trolling, but now no one carries it and they have not had a restock in 2 years. Still no blue suede LWB production in sight!

Perfect makeup: Navy suede Barrie LWB, split reverse welt with antique edges, blind eyelets, double leather sole. Someday...
Not wings, but Brogue has these: https://www.brogueshop.com/collections/shoes/products/alden-x-brogue-elvis-blue-suede-shoes-1
Ealdwine has these https://www.ealdwineraleigh.com/alden/29331f-plain-toe-dover-navy-suede-1
And Finally - Brick and Mortar have these: https://www.brickmortarseattle.com/lace-shoes/navy-suede-long-wing-shoe

slows2k

Reaction score

I live not too far from Brogue and have seen the Elvis shoes IRL. I actually really like them but they're not the LWBs I coveted. The B&M ones are still the same batch I missed out on back two years ago. My size is 8D and still sold out :-/. I used to have a pair of the dovers years back but they never really grew on me. I really appreciate the help looking, though. Periodically I'll start searching for a pair of Aldens and find a new retailer, or one I had forgotten about. Crowdsourcing who stocks what is often really helpful :). I'll just keep waiting until someone stocks them, or Yenni gets a restock.

I'm in the position now where I want to buy a pair of boots to celebrate an achievement, but seemingly EVERYTHING is on commando now, which is not for me. I must have missed where everyone decided they hate leather and neocork soles.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live not too far from Brogue and have seen the Elvis shoes IRL. I actually really like them but they're not the LWBs I coveted. The B&M ones are still the same batch I missed out on back two years ago. My size is 8D and still sold out :-/. I used to have a pair of the dovers years back but they never really grew on me. I really appreciate the help looking, though. Periodically I'll start searching for a pair of Aldens and find a new retailer, or one I had forgotten about. Crowdsourcing who stocks what is often really helpful :). I'll just keep waiting until someone stocks them, or Yenni gets a restock.

I'm in the position now where I want to buy a pair of boots to celebrate an achievement, but seemingly EVERYTHING is on commando now, which is not for me. I must have missed where everyone decided they hate leather and neocork soles.
Not everything is on Commando, it depends on the boot. There are a LOT on commando however. I'm a big fan of leather and neocork as well, but commando isn't a deal breaker if I really like the boot :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Supply and Advise has the LWB you are after, but not in 8D, they do have a 9. I've not much else to do this morning as babysitting a 4 month old who is currently asleep next to me on the sofa (in a baby seat, for those who might wonder if I just threw the kid on the couch)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK Alden experts, was poking around TSM seconds site and found some lasts I have not heard of. I was wondering where each might fit on the last spectrum on page 1 of this thread. They are Orleans, Kendall, TruForm and Classic. Or are these made for specialty markets?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Another boot cleaning as these (like many) have not got much action lately and the bloom was starting to overwhelm. These are strange as I am generally not a big fan of storm-welt Plaza or non-commando antique on shell. These both had both and I grabbed them anyway. It was a few years ago from Adam at AoC and it was when cigar was tough to get. After darkening the edges, over time, they have become one of my favorites. Here's a shot after a brief cleaning......
20210304_CigarAoC.jpg

It's also strange that I was not a fan of cigar when I first got into Aldens. Now, one of my favs. Here's a family shot.......

20210304_Cigar.jpg

I'm not much of a camera person so I want to say that these look much better in person than the pic's indicate.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys,

Another boot cleaning as these (like many) have not got much action lately and the bloom was starting to overwhelm. These are strange as I am generally not a big fan of storm-welt Plaza or non-commando antique on shell. These both had both and I grabbed them anyway. It was a few years ago from Adam at AoC and it was when cigar was tough to get. After darkening the edges, over time, they have become one of my favorites. Here's a shot after a brief cleaning...... View attachment 1567066

It's also strange that I was not a fan of cigar when I first got into Aldens. Now, one of my favs. Here's a family shot.......

View attachment 1567068

I'm not much of a camera person so I want to say that these look much better in person than the pic's indicate.
You know what? Those dark edges really work. I might have to do the same.
3077BBD6-7050-4E81-8E5C-52F0A15C2040.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Another boot cleaning as these (like many) have not got much action lately and the bloom was starting to overwhelm. These are strange as I am generally not a big fan of storm-welt Plaza or non-commando antique on shell. These both had both and I grabbed them anyway. It was a few years ago from Adam at AoC and it was when cigar was tough to get. After darkening the edges, over time, they have become one of my favorites. Here's a shot after a brief cleaning...... View attachment 1567066

View attachment 1567068

You know what? Those dark edges really work. I might have to do the same.
View attachment 1567072
Damn these are good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads