• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!

Thank you!! A new journey!

@savvysartorial

Congrats! Always the best surprise.

Take comfort in the fact that if you need money to pay for books for a semester of college, you can always sell off your entire Alden collection. ?

My dad used to say about having children:

“If you wait to have kids until you can afford them, you’ll never have them.” :lol:

Now, with one out of college and the other graduating from college in the spring, I joke with Mrs. Gold and say: “should we have another kid?”

Without looking up she said:

“Don’t you have some shoes to buy or something?”

Why yes, Honey. Yes, I do. ?
View attachment 1565672

Yes, certainly a surprise and one I am getting excited for. Hahah, yes exactly, I don't have a watch collection so I'll have to liquidate those shoes!

So true about the waiting to have kids; looks like the Mrs. is right on the money :) Looking forward to the challenge.

My wife spent her career as an Ultrasonographer and has no problem seeing what is in the scan, however, for me (and no offense meant by this at all), every ultrasound, including those of my own kids and grandkids, looks like when the Alien came out of the console to get Siguorny Weaver in the original Alien movie. I am so happy for you and wish a happy and really easy time until September. Kids trump footwear, any day!

Thank you so much! :D I completely agree and can see where you're coming from! In a few months, we'll have a little screaming alien of our own :rotflmao:

My dad said the same thing. I ended up with children somewhat later in life. They were both something of a surprise. In a good way, of course.

Speaking of the old man, he taught at a college Belushi went to. Not surprisingly, Belushi said he couldn’t remember anything about the school. However, the model for animal house was supposedly one of the frat houses on Main St. where he hung out.

Surprises aren't always a bad thing! Just hope that all are healthy in the end.

LOL that's amazing, sounds like pretty true to life about the movie!

You do know how this preorder came to be, no? :p

Congrats, though! It's an amazing experience...most of the time!

Still trying to figure that one out!! ;)

Thank you so much. It will certainly be a change.

Congrats and here’s an idea for your next footwear purchase

Thank you!

Those are crazy! If we wanted to test the durability of shell since non of us really put our shoes to the test, there's no better way to do it and strap on something to a child and let 'er rip!!

Wonder what the cost is of a pair of Vibergs(?) like that.

@savvysartorial Congratulations ! Best news ever !

Thank you!! Certainly a different kind of news than we're used to around here!

New baby is always cause for a new pair of Alden’s. Congratulations!

I like the way you think! Gotta tell the Mrs. I don't know if she'll see eye to eye :crackup:

I have really wanted a nice watch for a while... Maybe I'll think bigger than a pair of shoes! Go big or go home.

Super Stoked for you Savvy.. sweet preorder..

Thank you, Chippy! Certainly a big preorder!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eyeing up a new Alden purchase for the eventual return to the office in the fall - thoughts on color 8 shell v. black shell for a tassel loafer?

Current work line up is:
Alden brown calfskin LWB
Alden color 8 shell mocc toe bluchers
AE walnut strands
Grant Stone black calfskin PTBs
AE black cap toes (reserved for suit days)
AE brown quarter brogues (reserved for suit days)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eyeing up a new Alden purchase for the eventual return to the office in the fall - thoughts on color 8 shell v. black shell for a tassel loafer?

Current work line up is:
Alden brown calfskin LWB
AE walnut strands
Which one would pair best with majority of your wardrobe? My vote would be color 8, as it dresses up or down easier, IMHO, than black.

katch

Reaction score

Current work line up is:
Alden brown calfskin LWB
AE walnut strands

My opinion is 8 can go with anything. I would go with them.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lazy late Tuesday

PXL_20210302_143934901.jpg
PXL_20210302_143504945.jpg
PXL_20210302_143511779.jpg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which one would pair best with majority of your wardrobe? My vote would be color 8, as it dresses up or down easier, IMHO, than black.

Very good point - I think either could fit in well, with color 8 having a slight edge. Office dress code is tie and I generally wear a sport coat or sweater whenever I need to put on a tie. Trousers are primarily British khaki and olive chinos, a range of grey flannels, navy and drab cords, navy and grey fresco

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good point - I think either could fit in well, with color 8 having a slight edge. Office dress code is tie and I generally wear a sport coat or sweater whenever I need to put on a tie. Trousers are primarily British khaki and olive chinos, a range of grey flannels, navy and drab cords, navy and grey fresco
Yep, Color 8 goes with all. Personally, I don't like the look of black with British khaki

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If that is your normal garb ( and I was suit and tie 5 days a week) color 8 would go best.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No wingtips today. Whiskey on a Wednesday.

IMG_0057.jpg

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Color 8, plus you can wear them casually with more pants (shorts too) than black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads