• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right back at ya with Cigar LHSes
E34CCD94-992A-4899-A5A4-5AFE5DB582F8.jpeg

rob g

Reaction score
My first pair of shoes in shell, purchased 2nd hand. I can see how people get addicted to this. Also, my first experience with Barrie last. They're 1/2 size down from Brannock and the length seems good, but toe box is definitely snug.

20210302_154156.jpg

BAK

Reaction score
Fit Question: For those who may own both Barrie and Leydon lasted shoes, what different sizes do you take? I am a 9.5D in Barrie and think I would take a 10E in Leydon. Anyone with real world experience care to share?
What shoe on Leydon are you considering? Because the "narrow in the toes" comment (which would be more accurately/technically described as "shallow in the toe box", not so much narrower) is really only specific to unlined chukkas, which is 95% of guys experience with Leydon. If you're considering a non-suede fully lined Leydon shoe you'd be better off starting true to size.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What shoe on Leydon are you considering? Because the "narrow in the toes" comment (which would be more accurately/technically described as "shallow in the toe box", not so much narrower) is really only specific to unlined chukkas, which is 95% of guys experience with Leydon. If you're considering a non-suede fully lined Leydon shoe you'd be better off starting true to size.
This has been my experience. Unlined chukka up a width, but tts. Suede loafer on Leydon tts

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Probably one of these but definitely not a Chukka:

Alden® X J.Crew split-toe moc bluchers

Alden 7118S Tar Brown Aniline (a few places still have stock)

This is about impatience and trying to find a "Mocc Toe Blucher" because the one from The Shoe Mart is out of stock and will probably not be back for at least 1 year (since every other size but mine is currently in-stock):
ALDEN MEN'S D5602 - MOCC TOE BLUCHER - BROWN CHROMEXCEL

1614725619235.png

Several places have the stock 702/704 on the Orleans or something similar on Van or Barrie but I am trying to avoid the "Mocc Toe Derby" with the leather that goes down to the welt as in this picture of the 704.
Inked704-C_LI.jpg

Basically, I like the Alden "Mocc Toe Blucher" similar to the one from TSM (shown above) and the "Mocc Toe Ranger" (shown below), but I am not a fan of the "Mocc Toe Derby" such as the stock 704 (immediately above).

1614726413156.png

Last edited:

BAK

Reaction score
Probably one of these but definitely not a Chukka:

Alden® X J.Crew split-toe moc bluchers

Alden 7118S Tar Brown Aniline (a few places still have stock)
Right, I recalled you were after something like these. I'd recommend true to size. If you go larger in length or width I'm fairly confident they'll be too big.

marklin

Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

March 2021: The One That Got Away

Gentlemen, I wanted to kick off March 2021’s monthly topic. This is now our third monthly topic, and I expect that this one will bring out some fairly interesting stories. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

The theme is "The One That Got Away", what I mean by that phrase is which Alden did you either not pick up when you had the opportunity to (had to pass on), sold and now regret it, or something disastrous happened to them? I imagine most will be in the first of these categories, but tossed the third one in there in case someone's puppy chewed up their Color #4 Boot or UPS/FedEx lost their Brassvello LWB. They don't have to be a super exotic, it could be a good old classic as well.

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts (and I am sure discussions) this month!

-Mike
I bought a new pair of Ravello boots off eBay & the seller offered me a pair of 'used' Color 4 WT boots. I had not owned 'used' footwear before, so didn't want to deal with the hygiene issues.

A half dozen 'used' Aldens later, I wish I could have that one back.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super Stoked for you Savvy.. sweet preorder..

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit Question: For those who may own both Barrie and Leydon lasted shoes, what different sizes do you take? I am a 9.5D in Barrie and think I would take a 10E in Leydon. Anyone with real world experience care to share?

Barries 10D and Leiden 10.5D here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads