• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fit Question: For those who may own both Barrie and Leydon lasted shoes, what different sizes do you take? I am a 9.5D in Barrie and think I would take a 10E in Leydon. Anyone with real world experience care to share?

Sole Question: Is the "Double Waterlock Leather Sole" used on shoes such as the 9501, 9503, and 9794 infused with oil to make it more water resistant and thus last longer? More importantly, is it possible to install a rubber sole protector (aka Toppy) on this type of sole? I have always used rubber sole protectors on my leather soled shoes due to the urban Northeast environments where I have lived but am not sure they are compatible with this type of "oiled" leather sole.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fit Question: For those who may own both Barrie and Leydon lasted shoes, what different sizes do you take? I am a 9.5D in Barrie and think I would take a 10E in Leydon. Anyone with real world experience care to share?

Sole Question: Is the "Double Waterlock Leather Sole" used on shoes such as the 9501, 9503, and 9794 infused with oil to make it more water resistant and thus last longer? More importantly, is it possible to install a rubber sole protector (aka Toppy) on this type of sole? I have always used rubber sole protectors on my leather soled shoes due to the urban Northeast environments where I have lived but am not sure they are compatible with this type of "oiled" leather sole.
I only have that sole on boots, but have worn it in some pretty lousy midwest winter conditions, and never had an issue. Can't dress toppy's as never have used them, so don't know if they would adhere to the Waterlock sole.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well boys, looks like I have a preorder coming that I did not expect, nor ask for! This one's a bit out of the ordinary from your standard makeups we usually see 'round these parts...

According to the experts, it'll be appearing sometime in late September unless things don't go as planned with the factory! ;)

This is the very first for Mrs. Savvy & I; I always joked it would go like this (unexpected, out of the blue), and it seems I was right!

Still in shock, and I'm honestly super nervous, but excited for the future. We haven't told our families yet as we're planning to tell them in person in the coming weeks, so I had to spill my beans to somebody.

Cheers, and I'll drink Mrs. Savvy's along with mine! :cheers:

View attachment 1565665

Hot damn! My kind of preorder. Congrats Savvy. Post of the day!

Yes, I had done before I knew the differences in soles. I always wear my shoes a few times before having the topy installed and I followed that routine. No problem yet and that was like 4-5 years ago.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my favorite things. Color 8, brass and 379x.
B9BF0878-6532-4417-B914-7204CBD65DC7.jpeg

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m a 6D Barrie which fits a touch looser than I’d like (6D Van is perfect) and purchased a 6.5 E Leydon. The 6.5E Leydon also fits a touch loose and I wish I had gone with a 6.5D, but if 9.5D Barrie fits you well I think a 10E Leydon makes sense.

Leydon runs very narrow in the toes, which is why people go up a width. The toes on my 6.5E are good but the heel is a little loose for my liking.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I’m a 6D Barrie which fits a touch looser than I’d like (6D Van is perfect) and purchased a 6.5 E Leydon. The 6.5E Leydon also fits a touch loose and I wish I had gone with a 6.5D, but if 9.5D Barrie fits you well I think a 10E Leydon makes sense.

This is very helpful. I should add, based on your comments, that a 9.5D in Barrie and 9.5D Van work very well for me as I need a wider last for my forefoot. This is also why I was worried about getting a D in Leydon and thought I would need a 10E.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is very helpful. I should add, based on your comments, that a 9.5D in Barrie and 9.5D Van work very well for me as I need a wider last for my forefoot. This is also why I was worried about getting a D in Leydon and thought I would need a 10E.

If your forefoot is very wide then I’d definitely lean toward the 10E. As I added above the toes in the Leydon are quite narrow.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads