• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Is that makeup from the Stitchdown podcast or is it a coincidence?

The original Stitchup boot (black shell 2x2 straight tip) was a collab between Ben @ Stitchdown Podcast and Madison. Version 2 is being made now with Arabica lux calf. This is a special run of that same boot. So long story short yes Stitchdown Podcast, not coincidence.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Might as well take care of boots, not much else to do this evening
IMG_7082.JPG

EndlessMike

Reaction score
Hmmmm I can't think of anything that I didn't snap up and regret. I feel like the last couple interesting makeups I actually got.

I guess I'm mildly annoyed I never got a natural CXL Indy, but my 405s are good, so I'm not too upset about that.

Profligate47

Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

March 2021: The One That Got Away

Gentlemen, I wanted to kick off March 2021’s monthly topic. This is now our third monthly topic, and I expect that this one will bring out some fairly interesting stories. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

The theme is "The One That Got Away", what I mean by that phrase is which Alden did you either not pick up when you had the opportunity to (had to pass on), sold and now regret it, or something disastrous happened to them? I imagine most will be in the first of these categories, but tossed the third one in there in case someone's puppy chewed up their Color #4 Boot or UPS/FedEx lost their Brassvello LWB. They don't have to be a super exotic, it could be a good old classic as well.

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts (and I am sure discussions) this month!

-Mike
A few years ago, Yenni's 6 eye Plaza plain toe chukka in color 8. Now retired, cannot justify if it becomes available. Also, plain 'ole 684. Love it but just won't wear it enough... Still hoping for seconds...

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

Gentlemen, I wanted to kick off March 2021’s monthly topic. This is now our third monthly topic, and I expect that this one will bring out some fairly interesting stories. Take all the time that you need to think of your personal response, as you got all month to work on a post that suits you and captures your thoughts, so no need to rush to post a response today!

The theme is "The One That Got Away", what I mean by that phrase is which Alden did you either not pick up when you had the opportunity to (had to pass on), sold and now regret it, or something disastrous happened to them? I imagine most will be in the first of these categories, but tossed the third one in there in case someone's puppy chewed up their Color #4 Boot or UPS/FedEx lost their Brassvello LWB. They don't have to be a super exotic, it could be a good old classic as well.

Please reply to this post to make your responses easier to see. Thank you so much and I very much look forward to seeing everyone’s thoughts (and I am sure discussions) this month!

-Mike

Easy one. Whiskey Indy boot that Kathy ran at DC way back when shell wasn't super rare. I believe she had collected a list from SF for preorder and I was able to get on the list. But the boots were made to different specs so I passed on them when my pair was available. Looking back now, the specs on those boots would be my preference now and priced under $700 if I remember correctly.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will just leave this here, even though a bit repetitive !!
20210302_130458.jpg
20210302_130559.jpg

20210302_131446.jpg
20210302_131524.jpg

Johnniegold

Reaction score
View attachment 1565060

-Mike

799BE144-45DA-4DBD-B638-D822E9295D34.jpeg

It was 2010 when I first laid eyes on them. The beautiful whiskey chukka.
9D7C8AFF-4D70-4E15-A954-68B99A36B38B.jpeg

But I was young(er) and naive. I thought... not right now. I can always get them later. And then... just like that. They were gone.

I searched,
I called,
I emailed.

... but to no avail. It was not to be.

And to this day they have eluded me.

They have become...

MY WHITE WHALE!!!

B4908C94-2F3C-4AF4-93DE-D294097966F1.jpeg

Same time next week, Doctor?

:lol:

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have pretty much given up on AE, since the tennis shoe stuff, but those look really nice.

I go back and forth. They were my first love for GYW shoes (besides the vintage stuff from pops). For that, I'm eternally grateful.

Some of the Alden lasts are just more aesthetically pleasing and there are more patterns to choose from.

When AE hits it right, they kill it. This bourbon pair and my brown shell Jefferson's are some of AE's best and I am happy I spent the money on them. With Alden's prices reaching the stratosphere, I'll probably have to pull back the reins on buying stuff unless I get that corner office on the top floor!

Man, these are just so good. AE is a tough one to figure these days but I still say the Strand is simply the best designed shoe, regardless of manufacturer and getting them on bourbon is about as good as it gets. Well played as always Savvy.

As above, I agree! Bourbon in this pattern really brings it all together. I know you're a big Strand guy and wish you could have it in color 8 :)

This is a fine shoe that always surprises me when I pull it out of the closet.

Thanks for the post!! :cheers:

I love everything about this pairing except the shirt. The green is not a great tonal match for the blue and yellow tie as well as the stripes are about the same scale/size as the stripes in the suiting fabric. Go for a bolder/wider stripe or a pencil thin one but make it a different scale than the suit stripe. And I share this as I am at my computer on Zoom in sweatpants and sweatshirt since I have not yet been back to the office. :)

Looking back at the photo, the camera didn't pick it up right. It's a navy blue and SILVER stripe, but certainly looks yellow. Drat, lighting! :brick:

I was a tad concerned about the striping in shirt vs. suit, but I felt the suit was faded enough to wear comfortably. If that photo had been taken at arm's length, you honestly wouldn't be able to see the suit stripe. I never know if at distance it looks ok, but up close it's busy what is actually proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics