• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heel slip is my nemeses as well (due to narrow heels) but the Aberdeen does not work for me. I need more room in the ball and toe box areas and wish there were more non-tassel loafers available on the Copley.
Copley seems very similar to Aberdeen in ball, but does seem to have a slightly larger toe box. Personally, I'm ok with a narrow toe box, if it means heel won't slip. I HATE heel slipping out of loafers.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The LWB have returned from their “spa” treatment at Alden. Shoes still fit great, like a new pair of old shoes.

The only difference is they sent different shoe bags (although I still have my original ones.)

I’m guessing Alden may be using these for restorations and the original shoe bags are still given with newly-purchases shoes (as with the AWW I recently purchased a few months back.). I thought it was heresy when they stopped using the brass ball on the draw strings on the older shoe bags. ?

Anyway the LWBs look and (more importantly) feel great.

Those look like Brooks Brothers bags
These are definitely not those. View attachment 1563340

Initially I thought BB as well but I think its just a cost cutting measure. I've gotten 3 pairs back recently and all came with the unbranded blue bags.

Fresh off the truck from Madison. Their recent run of their Ravello 2x2 "Double Double" CT Boot. A true masterpiece made on the Barrie last that brings a great balance of dress and casual together...

View attachment 1563452

View attachment 1563453

View attachment 1563454

Hanging out next to their Cap Toe cousins made out of Ravello Shell Cordovan.

View attachment 1563455

More pictures and narrative can be found here...

-Mike

Geez Mayor, these are just spectacular. They've almost got a little 'Viberg' vibe about them. Quite a bit of amazing ravello dropping lately but these may truly be the best of the bunch. Well done and congrats.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Copley seems very similar to Aberdeen in ball, but does seem to have a slightly larger toe box. Personally, I'm ok with a narrow toe box, if it means heel won't slip. I HATE heel slipping out of loafers.

Overall, Aberdeen does not work for me so it excludes several styles. Ultimately they are towards the more formal side of the scale which is not really an issue for my current and future more casual style. Barrie and Van work very very well so I can get almost any LHS but I do want at least one other style loafer. TSM has a snuff suede loafer on Copley but the last thing I need is more snuff suede shoes. They also have a basic black and brown calfskin on Copley.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overall, Aberdeen does not work for me so it excludes several styles. Ultimately they are towards the more formal side of the scale which is not really an issue for my current and future more casual style. Barrie and Van work very very well so I can get almost any LHS but I do want at least one other style loafer. TSM has a snuff suede loafer on Copley but the last thing I need is more snuff suede shoes. They also have a basic black and brown calfskin on Copley.
And I am partial to Aberdeen, just a nice sleek last and it fits me fine (which is a plus).

katch

Reaction score
Heel slip is my nemeses as well (due to narrow heels) but the Aberdeen does not work for me. I need more room in the ball and toe box areas and wish there were more non-tassel loafers available on the Copley.

I go one size narrower than my brannock. 10.5 C to 10.5 B. Fyi i’m a 10D in barrie (also have a 9.5D that fit fine.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I go one size narrower than my brannock. 10.5 C to 10.5 B. Fyi i’m a 10D in barrie (also have a 9.5D that fit fine.

Narrower would not work for me as I need more room in the ball and toe box area and why Aberdeen does not work for me. As for loafers, I generally size down 1/2 size but still need a roomier front that is available in Copley and even moreso in Van.

I am 10D Brannock, 9.5D in Barrie and Van, probably 9.5D in Copley (10D Copley is too much heel slip). While Brannock is helpful, it does not give the full information on people's individual feet.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black strap Friday

PXL_20210226_144419144.MP.jpg
PXL_20210226_143957789.jpg
PXL_20210226_144004504.jpg

cj610

Reaction score
Is there anything I need to do to weatherize reverse chamois leather before I break a pair in? How do you take care of it? They're going to be used for daily wear/rain. I just got a pair of Indy Reverse Chamois and don't want to start out on the wrong foot (so to speak). Thanks for any thoughts!

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is there anything I need to do to weatherize reverse chamois leather before I break a pair in? How do you take care of it? They're going to be used for daily wear/rain. I just got a pair of Indy Reverse Chamois and don't want to start out on the wrong foot (so to speak). Thanks for any thoughts!

Search is your friend...

Read back through the previous few pages (or search by my user name) because I already asked the question and received several answers which are summarized below:

1) Do nothing
2) Wear them
3) Brush them every once in a while

* If in a long time from now they ever feel dry, put some neatsfoot oil on them.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fresh off the truck from Madison. Their recent run of their Ravello 2x2 "Double Double" CT Boot. A true masterpiece made on the Barrie last that brings a great balance of dress and casual together...

View attachment 1563452

View attachment 1563453

View attachment 1563454

Hanging out next to their Cap Toe cousins made out of Ravello Shell Cordovan.

View attachment 1563455

More pictures and narrative can be found here...

-Mike

Amazing, these have to be one of my absolute favorite shell boots, great job!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Saturday forum pals. Cold and rainy outside, which makes it seem like Scotch grain day.

IMG_0049.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads