• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are really nice! Been thinking about them but not 100% sure about Aberdeen last

I have tassels in the old green suede. The vamp is really low. It's possible to walk right out of them if you don't get the sizing right. I went down a half size and up a width. Well secured.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tassels in the old green suede. The vamp is really low. It's possible to walk right out of them if you don't get the sizing right. I went down a half size and up a width. Well secured.
Exactly my hesitancy. Don't do well with low vamps. Thanks for the info!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly my hesitancy. Don't do well with low vamps. Thanks for the info!
I have managed to find my Aberdeen last size, and funny but it happens to be the same as my Aberdeen boot size, perhaps my favorite Alden last, fits kind of like a glove on my feet. I did have to go down from Brannock to prevent heel slip/walking out of the loafers, but once I found it.....it's just like made for me. The upcoming (whenever Alden makes it) Ealdwine AuDog boot is based on the Aberdeen last, just cause it fits me so well :)

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st edition bourbon

PXL_20210225_143615901.jpg
PXL_20210225_145452610.jpg
PXL_20210225_145504225.jpg

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, these are just so good. AE is a tough one to figure these days but I still say the Strand is simply the best designed shoe, regardless of manufacturer and getting them on bourbon is about as good as it gets. Well played as always Savvy.

AE is tough to figure out, the foray into athletic shoe like things, production offshore, then back to US. I think I'll stick to Alden, I know what I'm getting, know where it's made, and no tennis shoes.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
401 Indys, black denim, black dive watch....monochrome is good!
20210226_103956.jpg
20210226_103929.jpg
20210226_103656.jpg

zargoz

Reaction score
Is there any retailer that is doing a make up similar to the, what appears discontinued, J Crew color #8 PCT boot? Based on some preliminary research, the Leffot Naval boot would work, but it doesn't seem that is on the horizon either. These are the boxes I'm looking to check in the boot:

Color 8 Shell
Double leather (commando would be acceptable)
Perforated cap top
Leaning towards 270 welt, but not a deal breaker for 360
Minimal stitch detailing on the side quarters (minimal is obviously subjective)
Last - least important
Several great suggestions offered, but all missing one key element of the J Crew version-- the dark welt and edge. Antique seems to be the only thing going for #8 PCTs these days. The TSM dark edge version was replaced with the antique a while back, if I recall, and I don't think they've restocked either version in the past couple of years anyway.

Recently another member mentioned that he was trying to get a shop to run a replacement for the J Crew version, don't know what came of it. I've been thinking about submitting it to the AoM crowdfunding process...

BAK

Reaction score
Several great suggestions offered, but all missing one key element of the J Crew version-- the dark welt and edge. Antique seems to be the only thing going for #8 PCTs these days. The TSM dark edge version was replaced with the antique a while back, if I recall, and I don't think they've restocked either version in the past couple of years anyway.

Recently another member mentioned that he was trying to get a shop to run a replacement for the J Crew version, don't know what came of it. I've been thinking about submitting it to the AoM crowdfunding process...
@Milksteakboiledhard & @zargoz, The JCrew version isn't discontinued, just sold out at the moment. They'll be back in stock next fall (August).

zargoz

Reaction score
@Milksteakboiledhard & @zargoz, The JCrew version isn't discontinued, just sold out at the moment. They'll be back in stock next fall (August).
Interesting, thanks for the info. I thought I had read someplace that J Crew was discontinuing their relationship with Alden. Although preferring an E width these days I may be out of luck anyway... but I'll watch their website in August.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does anyone (assuming @BAK may) know of a special make up in the same style as the stock "51670F Snuff Suede Medallion Cap Toe Bal" but on the Barrie last? It must be suede, Barrie last, and brogue but not wing since I already have the 9794.

Leffot makes this City Blucher on Barrie (2nd pic) and B+M makes this Snuff Suede Unlined Straight Tip Blucher on Plaza (3rd pic) but they are not really what I want. I basically want a 51670F on Barrie.

1614346654997.png
1614346930277.png
1614346956640.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads