• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the year I change it up. I want to try Carmina, C&J, and still working on a pair of Enzo Bonafe. If I get dialled in on Bonafe, that will probably be my go-to shoemaker.
All have beautiful boots. My fear is sizing, as there is NO WHERE near me to try them, and I honestly don't want to mess with back and forth shipping to find my size, did that with Alden and it took 4 yrs...:)

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following up to my earlier post, when would one purchase a Black Shell Chukka boot?
(assuming most of your wardrobe is casual for work and personal)

And you already have the following:
  • Black calfskin oxford
  • Dark Brown calfskin brogue
  • Dark Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede LWB
  • Cognac NST with rubber sole
What would you purchase before you purchased the boots shown below?

(Would it matter if the black shell chukka was 35% off retail? I am trying to not be the guy who buys something because it is on sale when I know there are other more sensible shoes or boots I should get first).

View attachment 1543437

I had a pair of black AE shell chukkas for a while and really liked them. Eventually I donated them because they were seconds and had a flaw that I just couldn't get past -- it was a little tooling divot on the instep. Buy they were very, very versatile shoes. Great with everything from jeans to slacks. I even wore them with a suit once with no difficulty. To be honest I do have a slight preference for Color 8 in chukkas -- I have a pair of Alden chukkas in #8 on order right now -- but black is a great color and works extremely well in a chukka.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a pair of black AE shell chukkas for a while and really liked them. Eventually I donated them because they were seconds and had a flaw that I just couldn't get past -- it was a little tooling divot on the instep. Buy they were very, very versatile shoes. Great with everything from jeans to slacks. I even wore them with a suit once with no difficulty. To be honest I do have a slight preference for Color 8 in chukkas -- I have a pair of Alden chukkas in #8 on order right now -- but black is a great color and works extremely well in a chukka.
The color 8 chukka, in the number of eyelets I would like (broken record here) is something just not made by Alden. I love color 8, but no winner for me. Please post photos of your #8 once you get them.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All have beautiful boots. My fear is sizing, as there is NO WHERE near me to try them, and I honestly don't want to mess with back and forth shipping to find my size, did that with Alden and it took 4 yrs...:)
Exactly. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger. I'm a pretty standard 10D, so I can get away with the UK equivalent most of the time. When its something I can't try on locally, I attempt to find something pre owned that's reasonably priced and flip it. Sometimes I make beer money, but I usually break even. Lol!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color 8 chukka, in the number of eyelets I would like (broken record here) is something just not made by Alden. I love color 8, but no winner for me. Please post photos of your #8 once you get them.
Alden doesn't offer a 6 eyelet plain toe chukka in Colour 8?

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fine folks at Alden of Madison are using the photos of my Leffot Indys on their 405C pre-order page! Lbvs! Should I get a check??? God bless the Interweb!!!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. Even contacted B. Klein and they just don't do one. I could have them made by a retailer, but would have to buy 12 pair, and I don't think I want to do that.
B&M offered a Plaza version, and I am almost positive I have seen a Barrie version here on the forum.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a plain toe, color 8, 6 eye, Hampton and it just isn't made. Oh well, lots of other stuff floats my boat....
Oh Hampton... That changes everything. Yeah, nothing!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the year I change it up. I want to try Carmina, C&J, and still working on a pair of Enzo Bonafe. If I get dialled in on Bonafe, that will probably be my go-to shoemaker.

I really like Crockett & Jones for shoes. I think their lasts are great for wearing with suits. Same with Alfred Sargent, although I don't like Sargent's leather as much as C&J. And, while I love my one pair of Edward Greens, they are too much money for the very marginal difference in quality between C&J or AS up to EG. G&G look great, but the lasts seem far too extreme for me.

But, for boots, nothing beats Alden. The finishing isn't at the level of the middle-high end British makers, but I'm not buying boots for finishing. I'm buying them for their appearance of and actual ruggedness. The U-tips from C&J just don't compete with Indys. Dainite just doesn't work compared to commando. And, Alden has the most and best options (albeit long wait lists) for shell.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like Crockett & Jones for shoes. I think their lasts are great for wearing with suits. Same with Alfred Sargent, although I don't like Sargent's leather as much as C&J. And, while I love my one pair of Edward Greens, they are too much money for the very marginal difference in quality between C&J or AS up to EG. G&G look great, but the lasts seem far too extreme for me.

But, for boots, nothing beats Alden. The finishing isn't at the level of the middle-high end British makers, but I'm not buying boots for finishing. I'm buying them for their appearance of and actual ruggedness. The U-tips from C&J just don't compete with Indys. Dainite just doesn't work compared to commando. And, Alden has the most and best options (albeit long wait lists) for shell.
I agree on the nothing beats Alden, I have a few other brands, and find myself reaching for Alden boots 99% of the time. Just a great product, lots of options out there, great dealer network, and once fit dialed in.....sublime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads