• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's weird, but the 6 eyelet chukka always seemed a bit off balance to me. Even my Plaza last NST pair. As much as I like them, I don't find myself reaching for them too often.
View attachment 1543617
And to my eye (and foot) the 6 eyelet is just a better look, of course a 6 eyelet chukka is a Demi-boot, and I like boots.......BTW those look beautiful.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And to my eye (and foot) the 6 eyelet is just a better look, of course a 6 eyelet chukka is a Demi-boot, and I like boots.......BTW those look beautiful.
Thank you, my friend! Chukkas are an odd bird. 2 eyelet, 3 eyelet, on up to 6. It's all really a matter of preference. Hell, Carmina offers a 5 eyelet chukka. Something for everyone!
chukka_boots_cordovan_carmina_905_sadl.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do want them but they make no sense right now in the early stages of my shoe/boot "journey".
The thing is opportunity cost, they may not be there when the do make sense, so one has to weigh the cost of getting them now, on sale, or waiting and may not be able to. It's a real dilemma.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, my friend! Chukkas are an odd bird. 2 eyelet, 3 eyelet, on up to 6. It's all really a matter of preference. Hell, Carmina offers a 5 eyelet chukka. Something for everyone! View attachment 1543623
Those look nice, only two things would prevent me from purchase.....1 Dainite and 2 Pull tabs. Other than that they look great

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Does anyone else here find polishing shoes a nice relaxing way to escape the crap going on in the world right now? View attachment 1543613

I’ll put it this way. If Kirby Allison doesn’t get a weekly order from me for shoe shining products, he calls me to see if I’m alright.

I’ve built up so many layers of wax while bulling my captoes that pretty soon I’m gonna need higher ceilings.

Shoe maintenance is certainly a zen exercise.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you, my friend! Chukkas are an odd bird. 2 eyelet, 3 eyelet, on up to 6. It's all really a matter of preference. Hell, Carmina offers a 5 eyelet chukka. Something for everyone! View attachment 1543623
I'd buy the NST chukkas from you if you were my size, or if I were yours.

ahonobaka

Reaction score
I do want them but they make no sense right now in the early stages of my shoe/boot "journey".

Not to encourage too much consumerism, but get them on sale while you can. They'll only be more expensive later (if not full price) and you'll ask why you didn't buy them earlier. Sometimes the journey lays right before our eyes, we just have to take that unexpected step ?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ll put it this way. If Kirby Allison doesn’t get a weekly order from me for shoe shining products, he calls me to see if I’m alright.

I’ve built up so many layers of wax while bulling my captoes that pretty soon I’m gonna need higher ceilings.

Shoe maintenance is certainly a zen exercise.
Zen excercise is a perfect descriptor. I was going to use Cathartic, but didn't want anyone to get the impression it was bowel emptying thing :)

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look nice, only two things would prevent me from purchase.....1 Dainite and 2 Pull tabs. Other than that they look great
As I pulled the photo from the Carmina site, I was thinking the same thing. I could see a MTO pair on double leather sans the pull tab, in my future. Lol!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For sure. I have yet to dive into the Carmina rabbit hole, but could be tempted :)
This is the year I change it up. I want to try Carmina, C&J, and still working on a pair of Enzo Bonafe. If I get dialled in on Bonafe, that will probably be my go-to shoemaker.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks gents. I guess I’ll give these soles another chance as resoling may just make the fit worse. I know those cobbler names and will reach out when I am ready.
For what it is worth, I have one pair of Alden boots on that sole, and it is not only lightweight, but very comfortable for walking. If I were to go to say, the Smithsonian, and wanted to walk around all day, for 3 or 4 days, they would be the boot I would wear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads