• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
A pair of new shell loafers arrived today from TSM. Nothing really exciting for you guys, not rare shell or a quirky makeup or anything, just 987s. I like black shell, what can i say?

1. Unfortunately, they seem to have been jammed into the somewhat-smaller-than-it-should-be box with too much force. As a result, one of the shoes arrived with deformations/rolls. I guess these will be going back.

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
It is “Legacy” cow hide from Horween.
I should know, and probably did at one time, but what the heck is "Work Boot leather" as used on 405's? It isn't CXL, so is it calf?
I read this on another blog: It is sourced from Horween and this particular leather tannage is called Legacy, a variant of Latigo calfskin.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Following up to my earlier post, when would one purchase a Black Shell Chukka boot?
(assuming most of your wardrobe is casual for work and personal)

And you already have the following:
  • Black calfskin oxford
  • Dark Brown calfskin brogue
  • Dark Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede LWB
  • Cognac NST with rubber sole
What would you purchase before you purchased the boots shown below?

(Would it matter of the black shell chukka was 35% off retail? I am trying to not be the guy who buys something because it is on sale when I know there are other more sensible shoes or boots I should get first).

View attachment 1543437

I only like the black shell chukkas. Best of the lot in my opinion. Go for the deal.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A pair of new shell loafers arrived today from TSM. Nothing really exciting for you guys, not rare shell or a quirky makeup or anything, just 987s. I like black shell, what can i say?

1. Unfortunately, they seem to have been jammed into the somewhat-smaller-than-it-should-be box with too much force. As a result, one of the shoes arrived with deformations/rolls. I guess these will be going back.

I get the sense that all Alden's are crammed into a box too small for them (and the Brooks Brothers by Alden are crammed into an even smaller box).

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following up to my earlier post, when would one purchase a Black Shell Chukka boot?

• Black calfskin oxford
  • Dark Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede LWB

(Would it matter if the black shell chukka was 35% off retail? I am trying to not be the guy who buys something because it is on sale when I know there are other more sensible shoes or boots I should get first).

View attachment 1543437
Seems like you really want these. If they are on sale, it makes them even more of a no brainer!

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
I had been looking for natty cxl indy ever since Alden stopped production and I was too late to buy one. Panic bought this pair when it popped on eBay. Not feeling the wedge sole so far and may have to spend more to switch them to a proper stitched commando or neocork. Also, I noticed that they fit snugger all over compared to my other TB pairs. The owner had it resoled to a Vibram 2021 and that could be the reason for the tighter fit. Any recommendations for a cobbler that can resole it without sacrificing the volume even further?
6CCB7EB0-5C3A-4FE1-8850-2AF281A37724.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had been looking for natty cxl indy ever since Alden stopped production and I was too late to buy one. Panic bought this pair when it popped on eBay. Not feeling the wedge sole so far and may have to spend more to switch them to a proper stitched commando or neocork. Also, I noticed that they fit snugger all over compared to my other TB pairs. The owner had it resoled to a Vibram 2021 and that could be the reason for the tighter fit. Any recommendations for a cobbler that can resole it without sacrificing the volume even further?
View attachment 1543520
Great looking boots and while I'm not normally a wedge sole guy, I think they work (visually) on the natty cxl quite well.

Cobblers? Aram at AH One is a talented guy, I'll bet he can help.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great sole for snow, or mud (although it is a pain to clean mud out of the lugs, or dog poop out of the lugs). Great leather for winter weather as well.
That's what they make hoses for... :p

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• Black calfskin oxford
  • Dark Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede LWB

(Would it matter if the black shell chukka was 35% off retail? I am trying to not be the guy who buys something because it is on sale when I know there are other more sensible shoes or boots I should get first).

View attachment 1543437
I purchased my pair on a whim, and couldn’t be happier. I you like the boot and the price is right, go for it. They go well with anything casual. I am a fan of the PTB, and I wanted to grab a pair in black shell cordovan. The chukkas filled the void.
28BB83A2-70DA-49E6-AEB5-0ACCD06B76FA.jpeg 8C13666F-4F73-4300-92C8-7245084AC141.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone else here find polishing shoes/boots a peaceful stress reliever?
That's what they make hoses for... :p
Yep, that's the method I used with the dog "stuff". Now for the rant, if one has a dog, or dogs, for GOD'S sake clean up after them if they poop in a yard other than your own. I stepped in it in my front yard (my dogs don't go out there) so I know it wasn't my dogs.....And get off my lawn!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1543520
I like them, even with that sole, but understand your desire to convert them to a more traditional Indy sole. In addition to Ah-one, there is Bedo's and Pekin shoe repair.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads