• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rookie question, my shell shoes have a shell cordovan stamp in the sole. Does this mean my sole is also shell cordovan?

No, your sole is not shell.
And yes, it is stupid that Alden (and others) do that.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Following up on this fit question regarding socks, does anyone change their fit depending on if they are wearing no-socks, thinner dress socks, or thicker "boot" socks?

I wear 9.5D Barrie lasted shoes with thinner/standard dress socks but I wear thicker wool socks with boots so should I size up to 10D for a Barrie lasted boot (which is my brannock and what I get for TTS lasted shoes)?

This never got any traction the other day so I thought I would try again...any thoughts?

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to roll with these today for hail and rain on my medical appointment this a.m. Alden Suede is comforting and the waterloc soles were the shizzle..
image.jpg
image.jpg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rookie question, my shell shoes have a shell cordovan stamp in the sole. Does this mean my sole is also shell cordovan?
No, they’re leather soles.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I, for one, appreciate some of the makers who printed shell cordovan on the soles. It helps identify some of the vintage shoes I see. It is difficult to imagine anyone using shell on the soles these days, but it did happen in the past. I posted this old ad before, about 40 pages back, but it does show shell was used on some soles.

1611702080599.png

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never tried a neocork sole. How does it compare to commando for comfort? Is it waterproof? Does it seem to wear well?
I found this article today:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How would one style a Black Shell Chukka? Suit? Sportscoat and wool trousers? Chinos? Jeans?

What works with these (and what does not)?

View attachment 1532909

Following up to my earlier post, when would one purchase a Black Shell Chukka boot?
(assuming most of your wardrobe is casual for work and personal)

And you already have the following:
  • Black calfskin oxford
  • Dark Brown calfskin brogue
  • Dark Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede LWB
  • Cognac NST with rubber sole
What would you purchase before you purchased the boots shown below?

(Would it matter if the black shell chukka was 35% off retail? I am trying to not be the guy who buys something because it is on sale when I know there are other more sensible shoes or boots I should get first).

1611702585483.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads