• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tipsy Tuesday.
Whiskey.
76C89469-9D12-4CC9-A8E8-5A6C88FC9446.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals.

IMG_9924.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey pick me up on a damp Tuesday

PXL_20210126_143933083.jpg
PXL_20210126_160656648.jpg
PXL_20210126_160711135.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
View attachment 1542610
Dammit! I swear my next purchase will be a pair of Alden’s. I think I’m just about finished with my retro sneaker addiction.

But just to keep things honest, I did touch up these Alden Mahogany Shell STB. ?

View attachment 1542612

Johnnie, your sneakers and Mahogany Shells are both looking exquisite. You got a great shine on those Straight Tip Bluchers.

Savvy, your Black Perf Tip Balmorals are looking just superb on you! You are wearing them very well in your ensemble.

Whiskey for me today because, well, a trip to Sam's Club demands nothing less.......

View attachment 1542661

Either that or I'm simply desperate to get some ROI on my shoe investment......

Shawn, those are looking superb and I am certain that you were the nicest dressed gentleman at the Sam's Club! I am looking forward to your patina!!!

AuDog, those Black Algonquin Boots are looking truly superb on you! Glad that the Commando is there to increase your weather safety situation!!!

ShoeTree, your King LHSes are looking great!!! Those Loafers are a great and classic model and you are wearing them well!!!

OK, pinch me now.

View attachment 1542763

I have not had penny loafers in nearly 20 years when my last pair of Italian made Coach loafers tore at the strap roll after not enough years of use (they never fit right anyway - how many people have said that about loafers?). Following a bit of a boot journey I thought it was time to prepare to hang out at the Gazebo Bar at The Yacht Club this summer (very early wishful thinking as I look at the snow outside) since this past summer was a bit of a bust. Following a very pleasant wearing experience with an Alden Plain Toe Boot acquisition a while ago I've become very interested with the quality and fit of Alden. However, I needed a more weather appropriate shoe than a boot.

I quickly became attracted to the LHS Color 8 Antique Edge which has made its way around various Alden authorized vendors over the course of some years. But WHOA NELLY! ... talk about sizing stories of the Van last... the Red Wing Iron Ranger got nothing on this shoe. I spent weeks reading forum threads dating back to 2006 about how it is more likely than not the Van last likely will not fit even after trying the 3rd different size, and the unlined LHS is the only real summer outdoor loafer to consider... the lined version will never get "slipper-like". And the shell version? Forget-about-it... months to break in the lined version.

Well my Alden x Brogue LHS Color 8 Antique Edge with Waterloc soles arrived today, travelling 3/4 of the country and arriving on time by mail... when was the last time you heard that happen? I had already mentally prepared to have to return these bad boys... I'm a 10.25 D Brannock, my Plain Toe 4515H fits absolutely perfectly at a 9.5D and Mack at Brogue is telling me I need a 9D if I am going to wear thin socks or go barefoot. 1.25 shorter than Brannock my toes have to hit the end, right? Van is way narrower than my Barrie last boot so my little toes are going to be scruntched, right? And the infamous LHS "tight strap" is going to cripple the top of my foot, right?

I open the box. They are beautiful, flawless and casual looking exactly as I was expecting. I did buy some invisible socks for the trying-on ceremony, assuming I would need to be returning these 9Ds. With shoe horn in hand, I gently slip my foot into this shoe that rests on a carpeted floor, fully expecting this Iron Maiden to gruesomely begin crushing my foot at multiple angles. Lo and behold, my foot goes in like a glove. Just the slightest pressure at the width, a gentle pressing on the top of my foot by the strap, my big toes go right up to the moc seam, but cannot feel the end of the shoe... and as I walk, no heel slip. My right heel is firmly planted (but no pressure), my left heel, slightly less so, but still does not slip. In all honesty, this Van last feels like it was custom constructed for my foot. The only weird sensation is the heel box(?) feels low against my Achilles... of course I've been wearing boots daily for 3 months. Maybe with break-in my heel will sit a little lower, or feel like its sitting a little lower?

In summary, this was a grand slam for me, not just a home run. Interesting I see on the Madison Alden site they have these with a regular leather sole and antique edges for a bit more (+5.4%) than the the Waterloc sole with antique edges I got from Brogue. Now it really can't warm up fast enough for me.

View attachment 1542764

Tseg, great story and narrative!!! I am super glad to hear in the end that your feet were made for the LHS as they are the lovely killers for many. I hope that you enjoy them for many years to come in good health!

Finally get to wear these today. Been snowing/sleeting/raining most of the day, but all done with going outside so... get to wear them, and yes, I know the floor needs cleaning......dogs track in more than shoes or boots. View attachment 1542890

AuDog, looking great in your CT Boots last night!!!

Been raining/sleeting/snowing all day...have to go out early to babysit 4 month old granddaughter tomorrow, so Lug sole it is View attachment 1542919

Those Chamois are looking great AuDog!

B&M "Debonair" Wingtip Boot to pick up dinner. Looking forward to California lifting the stay at home ban so I can actually eat somewhere besides the living room couch.
View attachment 1542922

Hisheirness23, your Snuff WT Boots are looking great on you and you are welling them tremendously well!

Was in first Hongkong lockdown area for two days, finally I could drink some whiskey

View attachment 1542977

Galileo, your Whiskey PT Boots are looking truly superb on you and you are wearing them well!!!

Galileo, those WHiskey Loafers are looking superb as well and I am looking forward to their patina continuing to grow!!!

TC, those Whiskey PTBs are looking great and I hope that you enjoy them today!

As a continuation of loafer talk on the AE thread, here are 3 burgundy shell LHS's of varying ages.
2 are unlined
View attachment 1543106 View attachment 1543107 View attachment 1543108

FT, you have a truly impressive #8 LHS family!!!

Not as much snow/ice as the weather people forecast, so 405's View attachment 1543149

AuDog, hard to beat the classic. Your 405's are looking truly great on you today!

Happy Tuesday forum pals.

View attachment 1543153

SMFdoc, your WT Boots are looking truly great. Such a great and classic WT Boot model.

Don, your Tan Suede LHS is looking great and the BB model is truly special as it is lined. I hope that you enjoy them today!

-Mike

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Savvy, you are looking great today in your Whiskey Shell Loafers. Those are a great model (I love the foxing on the heel) and I hope that you enjoy them in good health!!!

-Mike

Such a unique model; Leydon last is really a neat one. The foxing on the heel really spices up the loafer and completes the look :)

Tseg

Reaction score
Rookie question, my shell shoes have a shell cordovan stamp in the sole. Does this mean my sole is also shell cordovan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads