• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone here with a pair of Indy ever had the heel pad get loose? While conditioning my 405 Indys, I saw that the left boot heel pad was SUPER loose and it actually wiggled out of place as I had the boots upside down to wipe off the soles..... Does Alden offer replacements? Or should I just try and glue them down?

I have always just used rubber cement for loose areas of the inner liner. Not sure if that is the “proper” way to do it, but it certainly works well, is cheap and readily available.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. It is best to get shoes worn now with snow due later in the week.

IMG_9923.jpg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Saz, those Snuff Indy’s are looking truly superb. A fantastic model with the Commando sole and a nice playful twist with the Brass Hardware!

Has anyone here with a pair of Indy ever had the heel pad get loose? While conditioning my 405 Indys, I saw that the left boot heel pad was SUPER loose and it actually wiggled out of place as I had the boots upside down to wipe off the soles..... Does Alden offer replacements? Or should I just try and glue them down?

I personally would glue them down myself. Alden intentionally puts only a little glue on them to make them fairly easy to replace. Kathy when she was at DC would replace them for folks, I think just using a little bit of glue from a hot glue gun. I personally wouldn’t send them back to Alden as you would likely lose the JCrew logo on the pad.

Happy Monday forum pals. It is best to get shoes worn now with snow due later in the week.

View attachment 1542568

Doc, those King PTBs are looking truly superb and you are wearing them very well!

Time to make the donuts.
View attachment 1542578

Dang Matt, those Mochas are looking off the hook on you today!!!

TC, always a good day for a Matt styled boot and those are no exception!!!

-Mike

mr chorizo

Reaction score
To all the tobacco reverse chamois owners out there, what would be a good leather conditioner for this material?

I have a pair of wingtip boots that got a little crusty one winter with salt, and while they still have a nice beat up suede look, they definitely don't have that oily vibe they once did.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1542610
Dammit! I swear my next purchase will be a pair of Alden’s. I think I’m just about finished with my retro sneaker addiction.

But just to keep things honest, I did touch up these Alden Mahogany Shell STB. ?

View attachment 1542612
I'm wondering if that kind of patina is inherent in the Mahogany cordovan that Alden used to run and perhaps the reason they discontinued it? I've definitely seen it on the loafers posted here and on IG. For avid enthusiasts like us it's great, but not sure general public would appreciate it.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
@jischwar

I did see a video on YouTube by Vetivers Lab wherein he used a small sort of scraping tool to remove whatever buildup caused/causes those darkened areas during the deer-boning process on a pair of shell Cordovan shoes. He would scrape it off and then use a toothpick to remove it from the tool.

Even a sleeking bone can remove some of it (as you can see here) but I don’t think it can ever be entirely removed.
1FBA7BE1-D1B4-4124-893F-28839A662DF3.jpeg

And as for the general public... ??

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey for me today because, well, a trip to Sam's Club demands nothing less.......

20210125_JustPlayin4 (2).jpg

Either that or I'm simply desperate to get some ROI on my shoe investment......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads