• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m either very, very smart, or have just created a monster...

The wife just took the plunge on her first pair of Aldens—a classic low vamp loafer for everyday kicking around. Next thing you know, she’ll be pre-ordering exotic shell make ups and shipping them to the office to avoid detection...
View attachment 1541961

Not touching the question but I know one thing, this is just super cool.

Good grief Mayor, mahogany LHS? Wow!

Dogs and shell, doesn't get much better than that P47.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Not touching the question but I know one thing, this is just super cool.

Good grief Mayor, mahogany LHS? Wow!

Dogs and shell, doesn't get much better than that P47.

Mahogany was the predecessor to Ravello with Alden essentially moving over to Ravello around the 2005 timeframe.

-Mike

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL Indys on neocork today. My first pair of Aldens and still one of my favorites. Unmatched comfort. I used some of the Saphir Greasy conditioner on them about a year ago. Haven't even brushed them since that time and they still look like they were just conditioned. Saphir Greasy is really great stuff.
1C1A78EC-28D7-43D8-A62C-85019A1DF1D1_1_105_c.jpeg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Prof, your Color #8 LHSes are looking superb and have definitely formed a beautiful patina on them. Love the pup drop! Very cute! I hope that you were enjoying your LHS today!

Hey, @James1051 - my Earth Chamois Indy brother (great minds, etc.):

View attachment 1542131

Woof, a great choice on the Earth Chamois Indy Boots! You are wearing them well and they look superb on you! This particular variant is a really nice balance! Hope that you enjoyed them today Woof!

CXL Indys on neocork today. My first pair of Aldens and still one of my favorites. Unmatched comfort. I used some of the Saphir Greasy conditioner on them about a year ago. Haven't even brushed them since that time and they still look like they were just conditioned. Saphir Greasy is really great stuff. View attachment 1542384

Joe, you are looking great in your truly icon Alden Indy Boot.Interesting note on the Saphir Greasy. I have personally never used it, but will at least check it out based upon your feedback! Thanks!

-Mike

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Prof, your Color #8 LHSes are looking superb and have definitely formed a beautiful patina on them. Love the pup drop! Very cute! I hope that you were enjoying your LHS today!

Woof, a great choice on the Earth Chamois Indy Boots! You are wearing them well and they look superb on you! This particular variant is a really nice balance! Hope that you enjoyed them today Woof!

Joe, you are looking great in your truly icon Alden Indy Boot.Interesting note on the Saphir Greasy. I have personally never used it, but will at least check it out based upon your feedback! Thanks!

-Mike
Saphir Greasy is excellent on CXL, made for it in fact.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-Mike
Thanks, Mike!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CXL Indys on neocork today. My first pair of Aldens and still one of my favorites. Unmatched comfort. I used some of the Saphir Greasy conditioner on them about a year ago. Haven't even brushed them since that time and they still look like they were just conditioned. Saphir Greasy is really great stuff. View attachment 1542384
I've never tried a neocork sole. How does it compare to commando for comfort? Is it waterproof? Does it seem to wear well?

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I've never tried a neocork sole. How does it compare to commando for comfort? Is it waterproof? Does it seem to wear well?

I prefer it to commando.

It’s long wearing (though the heels it’s paired with are not) and waterproof. Neocork is fine on rainy NYC days. I wear commando when there’s snow or ice, but otherwise, neocork works well

I prefer the feel of the flat neocork soles to the feel of the knobby commando. Plus, there are no crevices for things to collect in. With all the new pandemic puppies around, and the chances of stepping in something squishy rising accordingly, that’s an increasingly important benefit to neocork.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer it to commando.

It’s long wearing (though the heels it’s paired with are not) and waterproof. Neocork is fine on rainy NYC days. I wear commando when there’s snow or ice, but otherwise, neocork works well

I prefer the feel of the flat neocork soles to the feel of the knobby commando. Plus, there are no crevices for things to collect in. With all the new pandemic puppies around, and the chances of stepping in something squishy rising accordingly, that’s an increasingly important benefit to neocork.
Agreed. It’s definitely closer under foot feel to leather than commando. And, it won’t separate from the leather sole/welt like commando can.

Commisar

Reaction score
Very nice, I use Venetian shoe cream once or twice a year on all my chromexecel boots and brush them on occasion and they're good to go.

Commisar

Reaction score
Has anyone here with a pair of Indy ever had the heel pad get loose? While conditioning my 405 Indys, I saw that the left boot heel pad was SUPER loose and it actually wiggled out of place as I had the boots upside down to wipe off the soles..... Does Alden offer replacements? Or should I just try and glue them down?

Attachments

• 20210124_174427.jpg
    20210124_174427.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210124_173653.jpg
    20210124_173653.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads