• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
These 15-20 year old Color 8 LWB are off to Alden for a complete resto job. I should see them in 6-8 weeks.
D238AC42-3C1C-426A-A1E3-E003B5EB6F47.jpeg
5CA89B30-750B-4B53-9DB1-3569ED0CC375.jpeg
358605F6-1A04-4334-86A4-AC8A1F797B14.jpeg
7945C21C-2915-4CCC-A62C-80C8C92717F1.jpeg
86A05653-48C3-4547-AA36-EFB0BA68CF0C.jpeg
76EF4CE8-190B-4513-8468-53992EB95EC7.jpeg
5A7D5AFD-86C1-45D7-8B5C-85DA8DF42DDD.jpeg
3D609021-DAE4-493C-A90A-B03A249074D0.jpeg
23F6990B-7EBD-4EC0-BB52-8D70E635FA54.jpeg

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
View attachment 1540971
Man, how am I going to get to the Alden’s if I keep buying sneakers? I need to raise my level of commitment to my Aldens (even if it means just wearing them around the house). It’s not enough to just rub them with a high-shine chamois every night. (although... they do look great ?).

Johnnie, you are loooking good in your sneakers. I personally find a way to wear my Alden’s every day still even if just for a short while. Makes me happy to enjoy our favorite footwear brand.

Nice enough here today to wear these .. View attachment 1541004

Chippy, your Whiskey Shell LHSes are looking very good on you today!!

All these ravello pics are making me feel peer pressured to own one and I don’t even care for shell or Alden’s rare colors.
Jokes aside, they really are nice. Personally, shell looks best when it’s new.
I tend to agree. Sometimes I feel like the only one who prefers the look of brand spanking new color 8.
No, you are not the only one.
So there are at least 3 of us! Color 8 does age gracefully for sure, but I wouldn't be all that disappointed if I sent in an old pair for a re-sole and they got dyed in the process.
Jumping on the Color 8 train, it's my favorite as well. Wouldn't say no to rares though of course...
You’re definitely not the only one. I was enamored with how my color 8 LHS looked when they first arrived. Now I’m excited to see what’s this fuss about how cordovan ages. I also love the look Alden’s waterloc soles when new.
My pair of well loved King Wings. Colour 8 like all flavours of shell cordovan, age beautifully. View attachment 1541279

Gents, Color 8 Shell Cordovan is called King for a reason. There is also a reason that Color 8 is synonymous with the color Cordovan. It is a remarkable and deep shade that is something truly special to behold. It is also the most versatile of all the shades. I will say that I personally love Color #8, but I would honestly say that a nice Ravello is still my personal favorite. On the new Shell front, I think a well cared for shoe looks remarkable throughout its entire life, gaining some character and depth with time. I personally spend a lot of time taking care of my shoes to try and have the character (although this is forming slower and slower as my collection has and the cleanliness at the same time.

An early day to do some work around the place.

View attachment 1541400

Doc, your Brassed Out Indy Boots are looking truly superb on you today! I hope that you wear them in good health!

AuDog, your Color #8 Algonquin Boots are looking superb on you. That pair has a really nice and vibrant shade to them and you are wearing them well!

James, your AoC PCT Boots are looking on point. A nice combo of hardware, material and style. I hope that you enjoy them today!

Johnnie, your King Gunboats are looking great and looking forward to seeing them with some lovely new clean soles on them!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Haven’t hemmed these yet, hope the big cuff guy doesn’t come after me.
View attachment 1541530

Serbarristan, your Color #8 Indy Boots are looking superb on you today. A great pair and a fine looking denim if you were to ask me! But I am even more impressed by your amazingly well maintained lawn personally.

-Mike

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Johnnie, you are loooking good in your sneakers. I personally find a way to wear my Alden’s every day still even if just for a short while. Makes me happy to enjoy our favorite footwear brand.

I think I am going to follow that advice a just wear them, even if it is for a short time, just to give them some air-time and allow them to continue to develop their character.

Johnnie, your King Gunboats are looking great and looking forward to seeing them with some lovely new clean soles on them!

-Mike

When I get them... you’ll see them. ?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots.......

My goodness @audog, these are incredible!

Gents, Color 8 Shell Cordovan is called King for a reason. There is also a reason that Color 8 is synonymous with the color Cordovan. It is a remarkable and deep shade that is something truly special to behold. It is also the most versatile of all the shades. I will say that I personally love Color #8, but I would honestly say that a nice Ravello is still my personal favorite. On the new Shell front, I think a well cared for shoe looks remarkable throughout its entire life, gaining some character and depth with time. I personally spend a lot of time taking care of my shoes to try and have the character (although this is forming slower and slower as my collection has and the cleanliness at the same time.

-Mike

It's like I'm looking into a mirror. This, all day long......

Now that everyone has burned their 2020 vacation days to avoid losing them, it's back to the grind of work, which leaves much less time to post. However, I did pick up a new edition that I wanted to share with the gang, these ravello wings from B&M, via @matt212 ........

20210122_RavelloWings1 (2).jpg
20210122_RavelloWings3.jpg

They came with rolls (which I like) but had not yet tasted concrete. I don't wear dark denim very often, so I needed to check out the look before venturing out......

20210123_RavelloSelvedge2 (2).jpg

Finally, a couple of family shots with unworn ravello Indys and cigar Indys. Why cigar Indy's, because these remain the most perfect pair of footwear I have ever owned. Initially I wore them to walk the dog to put some miles on them. Now? I just like them that much and with still WFH, it's the only guarantee I have of getting to enjoy them.....

20210122_RavelloBoots.jpg

20210122_RavelloGoodness.jpg
20210122_RareBoots2.jpg

Special thanks to @mdubs who is just incredibly generous with his time and counsel.

Happy Saturday Gents.

serbarristan

Reaction score
Serbarristan, your Color #8 Indy Boots are looking superb on you today. A great pair and a fine looking denim if you were to ask me! But I am even more impressed by your amazingly well maintained lawn personally.

-Mike
Thank you! We moved into our place back in June and the backyard was all dirt and weeds, so rather than paying to pull irrigation back there we put down a dog-friendly turf. The lack of variable costs sold me, but it’s been great.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you! We moved into our place back in June and the backyard was all dirt and weeds, so rather than paying to pull irrigation back there we put down a dog-friendly turf. The lack of variable costs sold me, but it’s been great.
Unrelated to footwear question and feel free to respond via conversation feature, but I think others may be interested. What do-friendly turf did you put down. I can't seem to find a good lawn grass for the dog backyard area.

serbarristan

Reaction score
Unrelated to footwear question and feel free to respond via conversation feature, but I think others may be interested. What do-friendly turf did you put down. I can't seem to find a good lawn grass for the dog backyard area.
It’s called Kool K9 with “Kool Tech,” keeps the surface temp lower than standard turf and has better drainage. And then they use an antimicrobial infill to avoid smell. I was really impressed with the options available and the process.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate everyone giving their input and posting pictures of the Loden Suede "Glenwood" Plain Toe Boot from Ealdwine. Jim emailed me and told me they were taking orders for that make-up (late summer/early fall delivery) and asked if I wanted to put down a deposit. Now $200 lighter, but very much excited for these!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots, I do not need another pair of boots.......

My goodness @audog, these are incredible!

It's like I'm looking into a mirror. This, all day long......

Now that everyone has burned their 2020 vacation days to avoid losing them, it's back to the grind of work, which leaves much less time to post. However, I did pick up a new edition that I wanted to share with the gang, these ravello wings from B&M, via @matt212 ........

View attachment 1541541 View attachment 1541542

They came with rolls (which I like) but had not yet tasted concrete. I don't wear dark denim very often, so I needed to check out the look before venturing out......

View attachment 1541544

Finally, a couple of family shots with unworn ravello Indys and cigar Indys. Why cigar Indy's, because these remain the most perfect pair of footwear I have ever owned. Initially I wore them to walk the dog to put some miles on them. Now? I just like them that much and with still WFH, it's the only guarantee I have of getting to enjoy them.....

View attachment 1541546

View attachment 1541547 View attachment 1541548

Special thanks to @mdubs who is just incredibly generous with his time and counsel.

Happy Saturday Gents.

Shawn, congratulations those Brassvello Boots are looking exquisite!!! Those are a superb model amd you are wearing them tremendously well. Wear them in good health!

These Chromexel BB Tassels with waterloc for what’s supposed to be a wet day. View attachment 1541577

Chippy, your Natty CXL Tassels are loooking superb and you are wearing them well with your chords!

New boots from Ealdwine. Color on the Madison calf is perfect but boy these are stiff, glad to have some wfh time to break them in before wearing them out.

View attachment 1541756

Ramblin, you are looking great in your lovely WT Boots and Chords.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads