• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just requested a mailer bag from Alden. I’m going to have my 15+ year-old Color 8 shell LWB restored. This will be the 7th pair of Aldens I will have had restored by them. I had 1 pair restored by B. Nelson.

I am the original owner of all of them so they’ve all put on a lot of miles and being closer to the end of my career rather than the beginning, restoration vs. replacement is the way to go for me.

For a resto, would Alden change the edging from the black edging double outsole to a double outsole with antique edging?

I also emailed Alden but wanted see if anyone had this done so previously with Alden’s resto program.

Thanks.
@Johnniegold Alden will only restore to the original specs of the model.

Although the one time I sent back a pair for a restore, they changed a black edge to an antique edge, by mistake.
Go figure..

I have always worried about manufacturers (i.e. Alden, Allen Edmonds) restoring shoes because they re-last and re-welt the shoe which puts new holes in the uppers so the owner must break in and "stretch" the leather again. While you basically get a new shoe, I have heard instances when the shoe becomes too snug and is unwearable.

Cobblers only replace the midsole and outsole (and welt if needed) so the shoe keeps the shape you have created over the years even though there is minimal break-in due to new cork and outsole.

Which do people prefer and why?

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Johnniegold In addition to the wrong colored edge, my shell boots came back with some very rough spots on the upper quarters. Alden eventually fixed this, but due to this and other issues I've heard about (including snug shoes), I'll most likely use an independent cobbler for my next restoration.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only done a couple resoles from the factory and one came back noticeably more snug. That pair was eventually sold, but mostly due to the leather wasn't for me as I'm sure with wear I could have broken it back into its original fit.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the informative replies.

I will consider myself fortunate that out of all the Alden restorations that I’ve done, the shoes have always come back with the same fit and I can say the same for the B. Nelson restoration on a pair of Alden black shell NSTs.

I have encountered the dreaded “snug fit” twice. Once with a pair of J&M’s Aldrich II that was done by J&M (when they still offered a refurb program) and another pair of J&M Georgetown IIs that had a full JR resole and toe plates added by B. Nelson and the right shoe came back a little snug.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Misterg12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoying the beautiful sunshine.
9AC801EB-65D3-4E86-9E12-F8B74C879280.jpeg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the informative replies.

I will consider myself fortunate that out of all the Alden restorations that I’ve done, the shoes have always come back with the same fit and I can say the same for the B. Nelson restoration on a pair of Alden black shell NSTs.

I have encountered the dreaded “snug fit” twice. Once with a pair of J&M’s Aldrich II that was done by J&M (when they still offered a refurb program) and another pair of J&M Georgetown IIs that had a full JR resole and toe plates added by B. Nelson and the right shoe came back a little snug.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Oddly enough...I’m wearing my JM Conley IIs today. Last run of Made in USA JMs :(

26A7CC67-2ACD-405B-8267-812FC4301A9F.jpeg

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Just an Indy shoe Thursday for me.

View attachment 1535644

Doc, looking great in your Mini Indy's! Hope that you wore them well yesterday!

Chippy, you are looking good in your Jet Black Shell LHSes. Nice pop with the red trousers.

AuDog, looking great in your Snuff Suede Indy Boots. A truly great variant of the Indy style!

Trusty longwings..looking forward to closing out the work week View attachment 1535709

AJ, long live the king wing. Those guys are looking truly superb!!!

Saz, those Loden Suede PT Boots are looking great on you and you are wearing them well with the denim.

Wearing an old classic, my 972s from Alden SF (circa 2008). Second pair of these I've owned in the last 30 years.

I haven't posted in ages, but always enjoy seeing your great pics and thoughts. Somehow during the depths of Covid life never felt I had much to say. And WFH or very casual in the office has limited how much I've been wearing dress shoes. My Indy boots have been getting a lot of wear, however!

And I've spent less money on shoes in the last year. I did pick up a beautiful pair of Ravello medallion cap toe blushers from Joe at Alden DC as 2019 came to a close. Seeing all your great pics has me wanting to spend money again.

Stay safe out there.

Mike

Mike, thanks for joining us and posting! Glad that at least your Indy Boots are getting some good love!!! Those Ravello MCT Bluchers are looking great!

A brace of color 8s in the shallow winter sun...

986 at its best, and 990AC via Brick and Mortar
View attachment 1536018 View attachment 1536017

Mr. Chorizo, those two King Shoes are looking superb. An interesting ultraviolet type shade in that lighting. Enjoy them both in good health!

2210’s wishing for some warmer weather...
View attachment 1536044

ahonobaka those Color #8 classic NSTs are looking great! I am wishing for warmer weather for them as well!

J. Crew Brassvellos for an (even more) casual Friday - another grail pickup from the amazing Alden fraternity on this thread. View attachment 1536131

Mark, those Brassvello LWBs are looking just superb. One of the all time Alden greats! Your pair is looking just superb and clean!!!

Enjoying the beautiful sunshine.
View attachment 1536197

G, those Ravello CT Boots are looking great and you have a fantastic shine on them!!!

Oddly enough...I’m wearing my JM Conley IIs today. Last run of Made in USA JMs :(

View attachment 1536219

VVG, very nice! Sad to see these companies move away from American production.

Don, those old Cigars are looking quite exquisite on you!!!

-Mike[/QUOTE]

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
@Sheepdog , mine are the left most in this group shot. Such a good makeup for the color 8 LHS - contrast stitching in particular really pops.

View attachment 1534581

Circling back to the thread topic for January and figured that was as good an excuses any to snap a family pick of my humble (by this thread's standards) Alden collection. My first Aldens were actually a secondhand pair of Copley lasted loafers, which I had to pass along due to poor sizing. Maybe two and a half years ago I picked up the above natural cxl Indy and stock snuff chukkas and have beyond pleased with both. 2020 was the year of the shell LHS for me - had my eye on the B&M university loafer for a while and then decided to make my economic stimulus contribution via eBay a few months later by buying an old deadstock Ravello pair.

In terms of looking ahead to next year, I've got a few pairs in mind. From most to least likely to happen my list is:
  1. Wingtip boot. Likely Ealdwine's Madison calf version.
  2. Unlined Suede LHS to replace a pair of Kudu Carmina's that have worn thin.
  3. Some type of captoe boot, ideally on Trubalance.
  4. Reverse Earth Chamois Indy.
Hope y'all have had a nice start to the new year!

@Ramblin thank you for sharing your story with us! Your group shot is very nice and all of your shoes are exquisite. The Natty CXL Indy Boot is an amazing first Alden (after the Copley Loafers) and the Unlined Snuffs are a great choice as well! It sounds like you have a great future ahead of you given the 4 models that you are considering. Extra credit for having half your family be LHSes - one of my favorite models!!

I can’t really pin-point when I became an Alden junky, I blame my friends for introducing me to this brand, their knowledge combine with you guys on this awesome thread over the years of me lurking.

Current pairs- a lot of different loafers styles, I don’t own any boots and have survived living in NYC without them:bounce2:

First pair- a horse bit loafer (5725F) off Ebay or 990 (Sold Off) from the Jcrew Ludlow shop.

Future pairs- 2201, 1339.

View attachment 1534663

@Alfargo Thanks for posting and sharing your tail. Yeah, the Alden thread/community is a dangerous thing. Pretty cool that a friend introduced you first to the brand. Pretty interesting that your first Alden was their Horse-Bit Loafer. I look forward to seeing your two classic models that you are considering for 2021!

-Mike

ahonobaka

Reaction score
Hi guys, question on sizing, I have a number of LWBs all in 9.5D (Barrie), but I take my Barrie boots in 10D. I think the extra height solves the heel slip problem I would have with bluchers in that size and gives a more comfortable overall fit. The question is, which way to lean for chukkas. I know neither would be bad but if they would hold the heel in place I would rather go with the 10. Thoughts?

Also interested in this as well as I'm eyeing a pair of 1340 Chukka's! Conventional wisdom would be of course to size half down per typical Barrie last, however I've heard of some who could actually go true to size on Barrie chukka's specifically. Has anyone found that to be true?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did not even know an Indy "shoe" was a thing before yesterday. TSM has two as well:

I have seen multiple Indy shoe make-ups. TSM had a 4 eyelet model at one time and then changed it to a 5 eyelet model that I have. The new offerings at B+M are 6 eyelet shoes. There is also a 6 eyelet chukka version.

IMG_9567 3.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rain in the offing today, so boots seemed appropriate.

IMG_9902 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads