• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy R

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Any idea where I can hunt down a pair of color 8 Tankers on the Trubalance last?

Erikdayo

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether I should be concerned about this on my shell boots? It’s been there since I got them a month ago. Seems like it hasn’t really changed much.

2C449A5B-1A18-4B0C-93B2-E07783B995D3.jpeg 134948E3-6036-49AD-971B-1FC4C0017828.jpeg

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was honestly surprised at how comfortable the alpine grain was after even just 1 outing.

Wear in good health!
Thank you Sir! I was pleasantly surprised with the fit of the Grant last. It has a nicer taper at the toe, but the same roomy "snugness" that I get from the Barrie last. Comfy out of the box, and will only get better.

Erikdayo

Reaction score
Hmm, does it look and feel like a tear? Hard to tell from pics
I don’t believe it goes all the way through the shell, but the shiny top layer is definitely cut through. Took a few pictures this morning with outdoor lighting.
3E8279A2-D556-448B-910B-EA7F39E54EB5.jpeg 2C2963E0-6B25-4CF3-A72C-3359FAC3A666.jpeg D6028465-E303-4346-8929-5086B7C2A243.jpeg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe it goes all the way through the shell, but the shiny top layer is definitely cut through. Took a few pictures this morning with outdoor lighting.
View attachment 1710653 View attachment 1710654 View attachment 1710655
Unfortunately looks like a cut/tear/hole. Get some titebond hide glue, warm it up and pack the hole with it using a toothpick. Wait a couple days for it to dry good and use a very high grit polishing pads to smooth. Stewmac sells 3m polishing pads up to 6000 grit. Then, cordovan cream to cover. Hide glue is basically horsehide.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Erikdayo

Reaction score
that is a crack. Never going to get better. And might get worse based on placement, as it looks to be where you will put some pressure/creasing on the leather. Did they come that way from the factory/retailer?
Yes. They came these way, but I did not take a picture when I received them a month ago. So whether they will believe me when I tell them it was there I am not sure. I figured it was just the usual mediocre Alden qc, honestly. I don't have a lot of experience with shell. It's definitely in an area that gets flexed a decent amount. Inner side of the vamp area on the left boot.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. They came these way, but I did not take a picture when I received them a month ago. So whether they will believe me when I tell them it was there I am not sure. I figured it was just the usual mediocre Alden qc, honestly. I don't have a lot of experience with shell. It's definitely in an area that gets flexed a decent amount. Inner side of the vamp area on the left boot.
Unfortunately that’s a flaw that should have gotten them FD’d. A crack in the shell is never acceptable — I would contact the retailer to see what they think and what they’d recommend doing. I’ve never had a pair come with a crack in the shell and I’d be surprised if many others have.

MuskieFan

Reaction score
Great info in this thread.

Recently moved to NYC and bought my first pair (color 8, plain toe, commando) and love the Barrie last. (Also grabbed a shell, color 8 belt, and love that as well). These are currently my only good pair of dress shoes, and starting to go back to the office 4-5 days a week, so I need to pick up something else so I’m not wearing these everyday.

Trying to decide if I should get a pair of black shell plain toes, or look at a pair of boots. REALLY want a pair of the LHS color 8s, but don’t think it’s smart to buy those as we are now approaching snow season.

Looking forward to getting some ideas from all of your posts. Hope everyone was able to enjoy a nice Thanksgivings day!

ac106

Reaction score
Great info in this thread.

Recently moved to NYC and bought my first pair (color 8, plain toe, commando) and love the Barrie last. (Also grabbed a shell, color 8 belt, and love that as well). These are currently my only good pair of dress shoes, and starting to go back to the office 4-5 days a week, so I need to pick up something else so I’m not wearing these everyday.

Trying to decide if I should get a pair of black shell plain toes, or look at a pair of boots. REALLY want a pair of the LHS color 8s, but don’t think it’s smart to buy those as we are now approaching snow season.

Looking forward to getting some ideas from all of your posts. Hope everyone was able to enjoy a nice Thanksgivings day!
What are the outfits you are wearing with these shoes? I generally wouldn’t consider of black plain toe derby on commando a dress shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Pocket square on a coat: yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 13 20.6%