• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I went to the trunk show at B+M earlier this month, and as Misterg12 noted it was sort of like an open house. There was a table of the latest Alden stock on display but in just one size (not mine). I had secretly hoped the Alden rep would show up with a semi-trailer full of the various lasts in all sizes so I could finally try on the elusive 379X and Modified, but I guess parking was too limited for that :). It was a pleasant atmosphere with people dropping by, and I did try on some B+M boots in Grant and Plaza, which I hadn't had a chance to try out yet, though I ended up buying a pair of longwings in tried and true Barrie. I love the earthiness of dark brown suede, and the free shoe trees and chocolates with each purchase helped the decision!

View attachment 1689293

For Modified, visit Moulded Shoe in NYC. (I know, a whole continent away). TSM has seconds in Modified & some other shops have the odd pair.

Brogue, has a bunch of 379x makeups. They’re in the SF area if you ever get down there.

At least you know Barrie works.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For Modified, visit Moulded Shoe in NYC. (I know, a whole continent away). TSM has seconds in Modified & some other shops have the odd pair.

Brogue, has a bunch of 379x makeups. They’re in the SF area if you ever get down there.

At least you know Barrie works.
I have found that modified and 379 are pretty close in fit...kind of like Aberdeen and Hampton. or TB and Barrie, minor differences in all, but not enough to be "uncomfortable "

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another late-ish night at the office. Not complaining (actually the opposite) and just happy to be back! Celebrating Wingtip Wednesday with the Saunders Wingtip Boots from Jim & Matt. Still thinking of you, two!
PXL_20211021_005309604.jpg

BAK

Reaction score

BAK

Reaction score
What happens at a trunk show?
Everyone's answers are mostly correct - it's a chance to view shoes, talk shop and have questions answered. Most smaller retailers can only invest in a handful of stock shoes, so it's an opportunity to view the salesman's samples of the majority of the entire stock program. It's not a chance to try on a variety of lasts unless you happen to be the same size as the samples on hand (most are size 8D), and even then it is only a L or R shoe, not a pair. And keep in mind it's only stock lasts - so no 379X, Grant, Modified, etc.

If you'd like to try on shoes or have a particular stock model you're hoping to purchase (maybe you need to try a couple sizes in a shoe to dial in fit) I'd suggest you get in touch with the retailer a week or so in advance to ask whether they have your model(s) and size(s) already on hand in the store. If not most retailers should be willing to order from the factory whatever you need in time for the event.

If you're just hoping to kick tires by trying on sizes (without intent to purchase immediately, which is fine) and the retailer needs to order in shoes for your request it would be courteous to offer to pay their shipping costs.

I'll be at Zahner's trunk show in Vernon, CT on Saturday, October 30 if anyone's in the area. Cheers.

FryingOilman

Reaction score
Everyone's answers are mostly correct - it's a chance to view shoes, talk shop and have questions answered. Most smaller retailers can only invest in a handful of stock shoes, so it's an opportunity to view the salesman's samples of the majority of the entire stock program. It's not a chance to try on a variety of lasts unless you happen to be the same size as the samples on hand (most are size 8D), and even then it is only a L or R shoe, not a pair. And keep in mind it's only stock lasts - so no 379X, Grant, Modified, etc.

If you'd like to try on shoes or have a particular stock model you're hoping to purchase (maybe you need to try a couple sizes in a shoe to dial in fit) I'd suggest you get in touch with the retailer a week or so in advance to ask whether they have your model(s) and size(s) already on hand in the store. If not most retailers should be willing to order from the factory whatever you need in time for the event.

If you're just hoping to kick tires by trying on sizes (without intent to purchase immediately, which is fine) and the retailer needs to order in shoes for your request it would be courteous to offer to pay their shipping costs.

I'll be at Zahner's trunk show in Vernon, CT on Saturday, October 30 if anyone's in the area. Cheers.

This is good to know since this is the show that I plan on attending; I haven't been to one before. I recently discovered Zahner's about a year ago and have been looking forward to one of their shows. Excited to see a bunch of different Alden footwear without making the 1.5 hr+ trip to The Shoe Mart, which will eventually happen in the future.

Reactions: BAK

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden NYC (Madison) kindly agreed to run the Indy boot that I have been looking for with the following specs:

Snuff Suede
Trubalance last
Brass hardware
270 antique flat welt
Gold/tonal stitching
Double waterloc soles

This should look a little sleeker than the traditional Indy while still maintaining the Indy characteristics. Should also be very comfortable!

The pre-order is live if anyone is interested in this particular boot: All State Indy

indy2.jpeg

indy1.jpeg

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
Folks who wear different sizes in TB vs. Barrie, do you go up half length or half width. I’m thinking I’d be better off with a different size across the two lasts to alleviate some instep pressure in Barrie.
Quoting my own post since I did not get any response last time. I’m finding that my Barrie lasted pairs are now fitting tighter over my instep. Maybe I’ve spent too much time with TB or feet have changed. Any case, I need a new size in Barrie and I’m in Midwest, with no local retailers. I tried 8.5E Barrie against my 8.5D TB and there is no instep pressure but the length and volume is noticeably more (see pic with Barrie left, TB right). I can make do with thicker socks but wondering if anyone has any advice that will help me dial in the fit. Thanks in advance.
93DB2B54-43BB-4CA3-A90B-EEC8DFF9B1F8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads