• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profligate47

Reaction score
Impulse buy from this week just showed up. Absolutely love these.

New Old Stock. RTC plain toe boots on Trubalance with a natural 270 storm welt and neocork soles. Absolutely amazing!

What triggered my impulse buy was the contrast between the natural storm welt and RTC.

View attachment 1672417
Nice denim. Maker?

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas looking for opinions. Same boot, but can't decide on edge color, which would you pick? I plan on wearing them with jeans and a tucked-in oxford/polo

View attachment 1672657 View attachment 1672656
Versatility be damned, I prefer the antique edge myself. ?

I have generally moved away from antique on 8 but there are 2 things that make me agree with @stook1. First, I'm ok with antique on commando as the color seems to blend better. Lastly, your stated use just screams of antique. I do agree with those indicating the dark is more versatile but versatility doesn't seem to be your objective.

Last edited:

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On modern color 8 I almost exclusively do antique (only dark welt 8 I have are my BB unlined and even then I'd prefer them wirh antique). Modern Alden color 8 is just so dark that with dark edges they almost look black in some lights. I personally find that antique helps the color to pop from the shell

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
I'm very much in the minority here, but I never cared for antique edges on color 8 shell. Too fussy for my taste and I prefer the tonal look. I wish more retailers offered color 8 make-ups with dark/mahogany edges, but c'est la vie…my wallet is certainly thankful. :worship2:

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
Likewise agree with @jischwar but would add that you might consider doing toe plates now. If the balls of sole are still solid and you are just prone to toe drag you can probably get a ton more mileage out of the original soles this way. Probably about $80, give or take, for toe plates and new heel toplifts so call it roughly 50-60% of the price of a good resole (you still have the some life on the heels but probably best to do the toe plates sooner so that the wear doesn't need to be built up by the cobbler).

thanks! i think this is the move tbh. the balls look good @audog twss

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Day 2 of the quest for the most comfy Aldens: ye olde 975s

2XukZ3z.jpg

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very much in the minority here, but I never cared for antique edges on color 8 shell. Too fussy for my taste and I prefer the tonal look. I wish more retailers offered color 8 make-ups with dark/mahogany edges, but c'est la vie…my wallet is certainly thankful. :worship2:

Fairly straightforward to turn an antique edge to mahogany, much harder to do the reverse

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 classics in the picture today!
Alden 401 + Levi's 501 + Seiko SBBN025
20210922_104614.jpg
20210922_104637.jpg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellas looking for opinions. Same boot, but can't decide on edge color, which would you pick? I plan on wearing them with jeans and a tucked-in oxford/polo

View attachment 1672657 View attachment 1672656
Adding my opinion to the pot...antique edges are very striking when viewed in person. I prefer it for all my Color 8 boots since I wear them in a casual environment with denim or chinos. For a more formal look, Color 8 with dark edges look phenomenal!

Here's a photo of my Color 8 WTB with some chinos. The antique welt dresses them down a tad (along with the reverse welt).
PXL_20210807_180238358.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads