• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shell Monday in one of my absolute favorites

PXL_20210823_134451434.jpg
PXL_20210823_134010517.jpg
PXL_20210823_134016152.jpg

EndlessMike

Reaction score
I actually purchased these (10D, Modified last) and returned them because the instep was too low for me. I would have definitely kept them otherwise. I believe they are unlined w/ a leather tongue. The defect appears to be a hairline mark along the shaft near the eyelets, and a little bit of crooked stitching on one of the counters. Here are some pictures I took in case anybody wanted to make a decision. This is an excellent make up.

View attachment 1657417 View attachment 1657418 View attachment 1657419
What's the deal with the heel counter on these anyway? I've only seen two makeups with it, both Modified. Is it something Alden will do with other boots/lasts and just no one bothers to ask?

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with the heel counter on these anyway? I've only seen two makeups with it, both Modified. Is it something Alden will do with other boots/lasts and just no one bothers to ask?

I think the models with heel counters that are unlined are specific to Anatomica. Outside of Anatomica I've really only seen heel foxing.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy cap toe Tuesday forum pals.

C3696FE5-7F80-449A-965A-FB64BF80C6E8.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found that Pantherella no shows work well for me, and I WOULD wear full straps with a suit to an interview, cause I'm "that guy" ;)

Very nice! Thanks for the suggestion.

Haha, I probably wouldn't do it to a first interview but might for a follow up. My go to would definitely be a balmoral of some sort.

@marchello this.

When I first ventured into welted footwear, I mildly went crazy with AE and had to get a pair of Strands. I had the Daltons in walnut and was really enamored by the pigment, but it felt redundant purchasing the Strands in walnut and instead, I went with chili bc it ticked all of the boxes of versatility. It took some years to really appreciate them and every time I wore them or seen a pair of walnut Strands (online) I’d mentally tell myself ‘****. I should’ve ******* gotten the walnut Strands. I shouldn’t have read the damn Ask Andy About Clothes forum threads’. I ended up selling my walnut Daltons some time later, so the nuance redundancy that I only would’ve noticed didn’t even matter after all. The gist of this is purchase what you like because it’ll get worn regularly, which makes it worth it.

…….The irony is I now dislike AE’s walnut shade and prefer the chili Strands, but that’s only because they’re my beaters and easily hides stains and scuffs.

Tastes change! Been there done that as well :)

@marchello But yes, the group hivemind will sway you one way or another. Most of the guys on here lean more casual. I'm one of the dressier(ist) ones on this thread. It really depends on what you're going for.

Do you dress up a lot of work or play?

Within these choices its a pretty easy call for me. As much as I love the 684, I too have yet to feel comfortable dressing them down. 986 dresses up nicely and is killer for casual. But don't sleep on the Mayors suggestion of the Grant-lasted splits. I've owned all 3 and it is far and away the most versatile and remains my most complimented pair of footwear.

Dang Savvy. No better way to say it, this is just an impressive showing. Great shade of cigar and that whiskey, my goodness!

Whoa..whoa..whoa! These are nice. For this conversation I think the combination of van and antique limits this shoe to strictly casual but that is one slick loafer. Always nice to see Alden shake things up a little.

This!

I'll bet this story is far more common than you think. I've got more than a couple of similar examples myself.

The NST loafer is certainly a unicorn. Rarely seen... I have some grenadines that get many compliments simply because no one wears them anymore!

Thanks, they are definitely some fantastic shoes! I just wish I could get the whiskey on something besides Tremont!! Definitely a more frumpy and unexciting last :p

OMG what a church!!!

It was really something. Shrine of St. Joseph in downtown STL; never been there before and it had an AMAZING organ as well.

Reminds me of Plum Street Temple in Cincy.
View attachment 1656396

Beautiful!! It's funny as I am originally from Cincinnati but have never been there! It's right across the street (literally RIGHT across) from the Catholic seat at the St. Peter in Chains Basilica.

You used to live in Cincy?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will trade shell for homemade sauce. Too cool guys.

I've had a lot of fun recently trying new recipes and things outs. A good experience for my wife and I and you don't get so lonely in the kitchen!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say our friends down in Raleigh (Ealdwine) are freakin’ killin’ it!! Their newest makeups are fabulous. I’m currently enjoying their Apex Boot in whiskey. If you haven’t looked at their lineup, you need to!!

btw, I’ve moved to a new home and no longer have my signature pics on the slate with green grass. Trying to find a spot. This will do for now…
98C7EE75-5B1D-425C-9C49-5AAF9AABAC94.jpeg
84065412-1412-4DBD-9FAB-09A2AD405098.jpeg
39D5FA31-42B9-4ADB-A385-22EE700FB5D2.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to say our friends down in Raleigh (Ealdwine) are freakin’ killin’ it!! Their newest makeups are fabulous. I’m currently enjoying their Apex Boot in whiskey. If you haven’t looked at their lineup, you need to!!

btw, I’ve moved to a new home and no longer have my signature pics on the slate with green grass. Trying to find a spot. This will do for now…
View attachment 1657887 View attachment 1657888 View attachment 1657889
+1 on Ealdwine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ngayogyakarta