• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be hanging out at AoSD next. They look incredible Mayor. Congrats on snagging a pair.

krebsy

Reaction score
Would anyone here have the ability to do a Hampton vs Aberdeen side-by-side comparison?
I apologize for the shoddy photo. Hampton in tan on the left, Aberdeen in dark brown on the right, both 9D. It really doesn't capture all the nuance of having the shoes in hand to compare (camera perspective and all), so I've offered my thoughts on fit. I hope it's of some help.
IMG_20210730_093251739.jpg

I find Hampton to fit a bit fuller all around. I'm a little "duck footed". Narrowish heel/ankle, wide-ish forefoot, low-ish instep but nothing extreme. The Hampton boot is not as snug around the heel/ankle, or across the ball, and it has a bit more toe box and instep height. Visually, the Aberdeen boot is a touch longer with a slightly more pointed toe. The "sweep" from ball to toe is slightly more severe on the Aberdeen boot, but I think this photo over exaggerates that aspect. Overall, I would say they have more similarities than differences.

Luscombe

Reaction score
20210731_113810.jpg

First time Alden owner. 10.5B Indy 405 Calf. They fit, I bought them. The beginning...

I am looking forward to getting some time in them. The fit was comfortable, right out of the box. I kinda see what the passion is all about. I tried them with 3 different sock thicknesses, all Darn Tough Merino. If they stretch even a little, a thin insert will take up the volume.

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
im still unsure if i will die with regret passing on these. my thought was the closed lacing wouldn’t fit with my more casual, denim-centric wardrobe.

question for this group, and im betting this has come up before, what are everyones thoughts on closed vs open lacing in correlation to the rest of the outfit? i know @mdubs & @audog rock denim with closed lace make ups. i know there isn’t a right answer but im curious to hear thoughts and opinions. perhaps im overthinking it and i should just put shoes on my feet

have a good weekend everyone!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
im still unsure if i will die with regret passing on these. my thought was the closed lacing wouldn’t fit with my more casual, denim-centric wardrobe.

question for this group, and im betting this has come up before, what are everyones thoughts on closed vs open lacing in correlation to the rest of the outfit? i know @mdubs & @audog rock denim with closed lace make ups. i know there isn’t a right answer but im curious to hear thoughts and opinions. perhaps im overthinking it and i should just put shoes on my feet

have a good weekend everyone!
I, for one, do notice the open or closed laces and I do think they direct a shoe into a specific direction of formality. But, I also look to the shoe's color, leather material, type of welt, 270 versus 360 welt, presence or absence of brogue, presence or absence of visible eyelets and overall style type as the determiners of casualness. The shoe in question, despite the closed laces, is decidedly casual for me. For me, the beautiful saddle screams casual and cool whether open or closed laces were used. The whiskey shoes are as causal for me as these other recently published saddles. I fear you will regret passing on those beauties. Sorry for your loss.

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 4.21.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 4.20.37 PM.png

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I, for one, do notice the open or closed laces and I do think they direct a shoe into a specific direction of formality. But, I also look to the shoe's color, leather material, type of welt, 270 versus 360 welt, presence or absence of brogue, presence or absence of visible eyelets and overall style type as the determiners of casualness. The shoe in question, despite the closed laces, is decidedly casual for me. For me, the beautiful saddle screams casual and cool whether open or closed laces were used. The whiskey shoes are as causal for me as these other recently published saddles. I fear you will regret passing on those beauties. Sorry for your loss.

View attachment 1647064
View attachment 1647065
Saddles are a decidedly casual shoe, not that there are not some makeups that are "dressier", but in my mind all saddles, even color 8, lean towards casual. Open or closed laces.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.