• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepdog

Reaction score
B+M snuffs. Excited for the shell version of these from Brogue to get here. Hopefully end of next month.

IMG_4594.jpg

Sheepdog

Reaction score
Also meant to ask - Have any of you bought the color 16 Rancourt bits from Leffot? How does the color compare to Alden color 8? I'm on the fence about the Rancourts and if the color is similar to brand new Alden 8 I may have to bite.

BAK

Reaction score
Also meant to ask - Have any of you bought the color 16 Rancourt bits from Leffot? How does the color compare to Alden color 8? I'm on the fence about the Rancourts and if the color is similar to brand new Alden 8 I may have to bite.
If you compared a #8 shell and a #16 shell direct from Horween you'd see a significant difference. However since Alden applies their own finish to #8 a finished #8 shoe from Alden will be comparably darker than the #8 shell direct from Horween. Which is to say the #16 bit from Rancourt/Leffot is very close in color to what you know as #8 from Alden.

Sheepdog

Reaction score
Was that a pre-order from Brogue? Or is it just one of the models they always offer? Can you link it here?

Yes, it was a pre-order. Just noticed they removed them from their pre-order page recently. Although if you're a standard size, I would think they'll have some in stock for buyers who didn't get in on the order. Here's the link to the few left from the last run:

https://www.brogueshop.com/products/alden-short-wing-blucher?_pos=1&_sid=27bc8ce51&_ss=r

(mods feel free to delete if not allowed)

I understand they've had this pair several times over the years, so if you need a special size I can imagine they will run them again.

Sheepdog

Reaction score
If you compared a #8 shell and a #16 shell direct from Horween you'd see a significant difference. However since Alden applies their own finish to #8 a finished #8 shoe from Alden will be comparably darker than the #8 shell direct from Horween. Which is to say the #16 bit from Rancourt/Leffot is very close in color to what you know as #8 from Alden.

Thanks! Always appreciate your insight.

Reactions: BAK

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
love Alden chukka’s. How soft are they once broken in? Im in between Barrie widths and going a little loose with chukkas is a recipe for disaster to me

Mine have definitely softened nicely. Once the shell rolls and molds to your foot, they're like butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads