• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Jimmy R

Reaction score
Welcome, glad you came over from the "Dark Side". Actually, AE has some really good footwear, Alden is just better :)
Haha, no disrespect toward Allen Edmonds. Ashley in the AE 2021 thread has been and will continue to be amazing.

The problem is that all of the shoes I like from them are basically on the 65 Last, and it's just not the best fit for my feet. I'm really happy to have converted to Alden.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha, no disrespect toward Allen Edmonds. Ashley in the AE 2021 thread has been and will continue to be amazing.

The problem is that all of the shoes I like from them are basically on the 65 Last, and it's just not the best fit for my feet. I'm really happy to have converted to Alden.
AE was my start into GYW footwear, and I will always have a soft spot for them. Agree on AE Ashley and other SA's that have been on that thread. It is just that Alden fit my feet better and are, well......Alden.

NYCTechNerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Same problem here. The 65 does not work for me. The 511 sort of works but they only have 2 shoes on it; the Wilbert and Leeds. I own a Wilbert and do not like the current Leeds colors (black and cigar).

For me, the Alden Modified last was literally life changing with the Barrie a very close second. I can also make the Van work and need to try the 379X but that is not used very much and is only found in special make-ups.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First-time poster in the Alden thread here. A couple of months ago, I tried on some Color 8 Indy Boots at The Shoe Mart in CT. The fit ruined all of my Allen Edmonds for me and led me to defect to you guys. The Truebalance last is so perfect for me, with the Barrie Last coming in a really close second. I currently own Color 8 Indys, Chukkas, Plain Toe Boots, and Punch Cap Toe Boots. The Grant last on the Punch Cap Toes doesn't fit me as well as the Barrie, so I'm thinking about selling them in the marketplace, but I'm really happy with Alden's quality, appearance, and fit!
Welcome. Your trip path here is well known.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same problem here. The 65 does not work for me. The 511 sort of works but they only have 2 shoes on it; the Wilbert and Leeds. I own a Wilbert and do not like the current Leeds colors (black and cigar).

For me, the Alden Modified last was literally life changing with the Barrie a very close second. I can also make the Van work and need to try the 379X but that is not used very much and is only found in special make-ups.
It's funny, but the 65 last in AE is just about perfect for me but Alden lasts just fit better overall.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Any chance you may know the real world detailed [as above] difference between 379X and Modified?
Modified is longer, have a higher instep, and even narrower heel than 379x. Also, the toebox on modified is tilting inward while 379x is (relatively) straight. Just my 2 penny.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello Indys today...
View attachment 1606022

Do people here wear Trubalance Indys with formal trousers ?
Heck yeah. Don't get hung up on SF foo-paa's. With Alden shell's, in the overwhelming majority of business settings, you will likely be the best dressed gent in the room, regardless of make or last.

BTW, those Indy"s are amazing!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Threads of Apollo Leather Jackets: Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

• Red

• Gold

• All of the Above

• None of the Above

Results are only viewable after voting.