• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnu

Reaction score
Thinking of adding a chukka to my rotation, debating between the 1493 vs. 1492. I have a couple of shoes and boots in snuff and I know that it's the more classic option, but I'm thinking that the brown suede looks nice. Any thoughts?

Also are there any Alden retailers out there that still send the shoes with complementary trees? I was wearing my Indy's from CitiShoes the other day reminiscing...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wednesday.
IMG_7679.JPG
Maple trees are dropping seeds everywhere

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am reposting an article @siddeh shared in the Carmina thread. Once again, Justin Fitzpatrick writes the truth:

My favorites from the blog post:

"..in 2020, 1st grade leather now is what 3rd grade leather was 20 years ago."

"...simply shows a lack of understanding in what you buy versus what you should expect. Shoes are not laser cut, machine-only produced iPhones. They are products made using a once living skin, made by error-prone humans because we are after all, we are not machine controlled robots yet..."

DG123

Reaction score
Thinking of adding a chukka to my rotation, debating between the 1493 vs. 1492. I have a couple of shoes and boots in snuff and I know that it's the more classic option, but I'm thinking that the brown suede looks nice. Any thoughts?

Also are there any Alden retailers out there that still send the shoes with complementary trees? I was wearing my Indy's from CitiShoes the other day reminiscing...

Of Alden's chukka boots my favorite is the model 1272S , Kudu Chukka :
* I don't have a pair but if I were to buy a chukka style, this would probably be the model.

kudu.jpg

Last edited:

X_dSF

Reaction score

The only one I know is Gentlemen's footwear. But not sure they would do this for every pair after the first one.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the watch - wear it in good health, sir!

Thank you! Really excited about it; honestly I feel like a kid in a candy shop!

Looking forward to many, many years of service.

Well done.. hard to beat on many levels..

Thank you!! She's a real classic with the model and silver face.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the unlined suede chukkas in both brown and snuff. They're both beautiful but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd say that the brown is just a touch more versatile. Since you already have a couple of snuff shoes, brown might be a good bet for you. But you really can't go wrong with either color.

DG123

Reaction score
Welcome to the club!!! ;-)

I am actually thinking about a couple of current preorder opportunities. All are Indy boots with Truebalance last, so based on my experience wearing Alden 405 I have confidence these makeup boots in my B width size would fit excellent, or at least reasonably good.
1) dark green suede w/commando sole (don't think I would enjoy wearing this sole for my exercise walking)
2) dark green suede with wedge sole (again, don't think I would enjoy the commando for my exercise walking).
* my concern with the commando sole is that on city sidewalks its rubber quickly wears away.
Also, both of the above boots are detailed with brass hardware which I think (not sure) might be too bright for my taste.
3) color 8 shell with Commando sole (I've been wanting to try a shell upper shoe/boot from Alden but think I would prefer a lighter color, such as Whiskey or Ravello).
So, I am considering the above opportunities but probably won't pull the trigger on any of these three. If a light colored shell upper Indy boot came to be offered as a preorder make up I would likely go for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads