• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gucci if you're going there, IMHO
I grabbed a pair of Gucci, these were super affordable. I figured they would be good for the summer. I wasn’t sure if they were true to size or not.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Hey. I am new to Alden, and looking to buy my first pair of penny loafers. What is the difference between the LHS from the non-LHS penny loafers (for instance 9697F)? Is it merely construction/level handwork, or also aesthetic differences?

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Hey. I am new to Alden, and looking to buy my first pair of penny loafers. What is the difference between the LHS from the non-LHS penny loafers (for instance 9697F)? Is it merely construction/level handwork, or also aesthetic differences?
9697F is a version of the LHS, in unlined suede and with a flex welt. It’s a good choice if it fits and you like suede.

NYCTechNerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anybody able to help with a real world experience compare and contrast?

9501 Natty CXL Lined PTB versus 29364F Brown CXL Unlined Dover/Derby
- I mentioned both in CXL but if someone has them both in suede that feedback would be great as well.
- Ignore color because TSM makes a brown version of the 9501 (left) similar to the stock 29364F color (right).
  • How will the lined fit compared to the unlined fit in the same size?
  • Will the lined/more-structured shoe be more (or less) comfortable than the unlined/less-structured shoe on very long walks (i.e. more than a few miles on city concrete and pavement)?
  • I understand the unlined shoe comes with a less thick and more flexible sole which does not really matter to me because soles get chewed up on city concrete sidewalks and replaced regularly. So, would it be foolish to resole the unlined dover with a thicker sole in the future if it took away from the fit/comfort characteristics of the shoe?
  • Is unlined truly more breathable and/or less hot so better for warmer weather?
  • Overall, why choose the lined PTB or the unlined Dover/Derby (ignoring color and leather type)?
    (looking for personal opinions based on real world experience)
  • Any other items that might make one choice better (or worse) than the other?

1620076246049.png
1620076279271.png

DG123

Reaction score
Is anybody able to help with a real world experience compare and contrast?

• Will the lined/more-structured shoe be more (or less) comfortable than the unlined/less-structured shoe on very long walks (i.e. more than a few miles on city concrete and pavement)

View attachment 1604025View attachment 1604026
If you like the Alden brand and walk miles on city sidewalks the Alden #405 with Neocork sole is best for that.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.