• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2021 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pics yet, but I just bought 3 pairs of Alden x Engineered Garments. All are in the 379X last. One black Chromexcel with wedge soles, black and #8 Cordovan w/commando soles.
Got pretty lucky with my size still in stock. Didn't want to wait for Moulded Shoe restock ?
Btw, anyone know if Chromexcel will stretch out a bit?

1619980222738.png 1619980203792.png

Bavo

Reaction score
No pics yet, but I just bought 3 pairs of Alden x Engineered Garments. All are in the 379X last. One black Chromexcel with wedge soles, black and #8 Cordovan w/commando soles.
Got pretty lucky with my size still in stock. Didn't want to wait for Moulded Shoe restock ?

Small world: I ordered one of the brown CXLs on wedge earlier this morning as well. I am new to the 379x and hoping the fit is good. If so, it will become my city walking commuter that can be versatile with casual/business casual dress as well.

X_dSF

Reaction score

View attachment 1603352 View attachment 1603351
This series caught my eyes when I saw them the first time...379x and all E width is such a rare and special thought to come by.
And yes, CXL would stretch out as much as suede.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small world: I ordered one of the brown CXLs on wedge earlier this morning as well. I am new to the 379x and hoping the fit is good. If so, it will become my city walking commuter that can be versatile with casual/business casual dress as well.
Same will be using mine for city commuting.

The sales rep told me a surge of sales for the Alden's just happened the past 2 days. Guess you were one of them ;) Couldn't risk taking the L on these.

X_dSF

Reaction score
Weeks ago I asked a stupid question on this thread about caring tips for reverse chamois, and was told there's nothing I have/could do. Yesterday I stepped in AOM and asked the same question. Anthony kindly recommended me the neatsfoot oil.

Shoe care Sunday and they turn out great! (with my outfit yesterday, Brogue Harvey tassels on their maiden voyage)
IMG_20210502_142411.jpg
IMG_20210501_161420 (2).jpg

DG123

Reaction score

View attachment 1603352 View attachment 1603351

You went to a store and tried on these pairs before buying ?

DG123

Reaction score
Smarter than so many others who fly blind on sizing?

Comparing your new CXL versus Cordovan shoes, if I am understanding correctly, both are the same model/upper pattern and both have the same wedge sole. My question is do you notice a fit difference between the two pair ?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparing your new CXL versus Cordovan shoes, if I am understanding correctly, both are the same model/upper pattern and both have the same wedge sole. My question is do you notice a fit difference between the two pair ?
I think you meant to reply to me. Yea the CXL felt a bit tighter width wise. CXL had wedge soles, the cordovan has commando soles. Same last, different soles.

DG123

Reaction score
I think you meant to reply to me. Yea the CXL felt a bit tighter width wise. CXL had wedge soles, the cordovan has commando soles. Same last, different soles.

My guess is that were the shoes the same (upper pattern, last, sole), that CXL would feel a bit more snug than Cordovan. But I am guessing, not certain. I've worn same boot (upper pattern, last, sole) and found CXL a significantly looser fit than calf-work boot material, that is Alden 403 versus 405.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads