• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my new Plaza U-tip Indys outside for the first time today. The first batch was mocha - we heard they would be mocha, then cigar, then mocha, then they split the order, so the first half was mocha and I now declare mine to be officially cigar.

They are almost identical in color to my Chester Mox wallet in Italian Brown Shell (pictured below).

IMG_2579.jpg
IMG_2580.jpg
IMG_2581.jpg

When I first visited the shop I asked if they were ever going to run a Cigar Indy. I also ordered my Color #8 Indy on commando that day. Turns out they had this interesting run in process (in Mocha) and happened to have my size still open on the order. I put my name down. That was October 2019, supposedly ready in March. Then COVID happened. They told me the order switched to cigar. The first half was delivered in mocha. My order was pushed to August, then November. And, it finally arrived. I know most people would probably prefer the darker tones of mocha, especially because it's much more rare, but I really like cigar and I asked for cigar and got cigar.

I know I won't always feel like this, but as of right now, I believe my quest for the perfect boot is complete. I have four pairs of Alden boots, two from Alfred Sargent, and one from Crockett and Jones. But, this one is my favorite. It's the perfect color. It's a casual design, but a dressy last and welt. Just incredible. The brass eyelets and hooks really make it pop. And, the color of the shell is just awesome - rich and deep, but varied.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? Fitting Alden is easy. 1) Get measured...
2) Spend $10,000 on shoes in the wrong sizes.
3) Eventually win!
:)

I’ll add one more issue... a few years ago I had to start wearing shoes that were approx 1/2 size larger / wider than what I had up to that point.

Apparently walking around this planet for 50 years can suddenly / gradually flatten and expand your feet. One of the former staff here at Alden San Francisco said he experienced that with customers on a regular basis.

AHS

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @BAK for realizing this but we’ve been wrong about Alden production date codes the whole time.

The number represents the last digit of the fiscal year, not the calendar year, and the month codes begin with A in November (the first month or Alden’s FY).

So 0A would be November 2019, 0B would be December 2019, and 0C would be January 2020, etc.

A = Nov
B = Dec
C = Jan
D = Feb
E = Mar
F = Apr
G = May
H = Jun
J = Jul
K = Aug
L = Sep
M = Oct

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my new Plaza U-tip Indys outside for the first time today. The first batch was mocha - we heard they would be mocha, then cigar, then mocha, then they split the order, so the first half was mocha and I now declare mine to be officially cigar.

They are almost identical in color to my Chester Mox wallet in Italian Brown Shell (pictured below).

View attachment 1510639 View attachment 1510640 View attachment 1510641

When I first visited the shop I asked if they were ever going to run a Cigar Indy. I also ordered my Color #8 Indy on commando that day. Turns out they had this interesting run in process (in Mocha) and happened to have my size still open on the order. I put my name down. That was October 2019, supposedly ready in March. Then COVID happened. They told me the order switched to cigar. The first half was delivered in mocha. My order was pushed to August, then November. And, it finally arrived. I know most people would probably prefer the darker tones of mocha, especially because it's much more rare, but I really like cigar and I asked for cigar and got cigar.

I know I won't always feel like this, but as of right now, I believe my quest for the perfect boot is complete. I have four pairs of Alden boots, two from Alfred Sargent, and one from Crockett and Jones. But, this one is my favorite. It's the perfect color. It's a casual design, but a dressy last and welt. Just incredible. The brass eyelets and hooks really make it pop. And, the color of the shell is just awesome - rich and deep, but varied.

Can't go wrong either way but me preference is definitely cigar. I like that it starts out a little lighter and absolutely love the way it ages. Regardless of the official designation, those are some sweet boots. It will be really cool to see more shots as they age. Congrats.

slows2k

Reaction score
I would have to agree. I have two pairs and I had to get on a make up list for both. Here are my LWBs in the same leather. I love how casual they are.

View attachment 1510582
WOAH. I don't think I've seen an Alden LWB in scotch grain before; just the alpine grain. If someone makes these with leather soles instead of commando, I'm in for sure.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I’ll add one more issue... a few years ago I had to start wearing shoes that were approx 1/2 size larger / wider than what I had up to that point.

Apparently walking around this planet for 50 years can suddenly / gradually flatten and expand your feet. One of the former staff here at Alden San Francisco said he experienced that with customers on a regular basis.

AHS

Yup. It happened to me. All of a sudden my shoes were too tight, especially in the width department. The result was the purchase of thousands of dollars of new Aldens.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AHS
I’m in my late 30s, and I’ve experienced a shift already. (Also didn’t help that I was probably wearing the wrong size shoes for a long time and just “dealt with it”). Alden and AE have really saved me in the last few years.

I read something about hikers, too. Foot spread on a large scale...

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @BAK for realizing this but we’ve been wrong about Alden production date codes the whole time.

The number represents the last digit of the fiscal year, not the calendar year, and the month codes begin with A in November (the first month or Alden’s FY).

So 0A would be November 2019, 0B would be December 2019, and 0C would be January 2020, etc.

A = Nov
B = Dec
C = Jan
D = Feb
E = Mar
F = Apr
G = May
H = Jun
J = Jul
K = Aug
L = Sep
M = Oct
This changes everything

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been waiting to get my hands on a pair of these Debonair Snuff Suede Wingtip Boots from B&M for over a year and finally pulled the trigger! Thank you to Yenni for answering all of my questions and for a quality makeup!

PXL_20201205_190037636.jpg

PXL_20201205_190104727.jpg

PXL_20201205_190113138.jpg

Will be throwing on AE Round Boot laces to achieve my desired look. I just can't get used to the flat waxed laces.

feathers73

Reaction score

AHS

I've had that happen twice in my life. If my Aldens are a little roomy I don't sweat it. They could become too small as you get older.

Reactions: AHS

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AHS
41 and happening here, too. Though, curiously it affected my length (+.5 size) and not really width. At least, so far.

Last edited:

EndlessMike

Reaction score

View attachment 1510639 View attachment 1510640 View attachment 1510641

I wore mine for the first time today, too! They're really lovely! They'll definitely be getting a lot of wear.

Attachments

• B0F2745E-CBD4-415C-8867-415D30AECDC8.jpeg
    B0F2745E-CBD4-415C-8867-415D30AECDC8.jpeg
    424.3 KB · Views: 38
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads