• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stepping outside to get a coffee just so I could find an excuse to ditch the sweatpants and slippers. My Debonair Wingtip Boots from B&M are supposed to arrive today, so the Brassvello make-up gets the nod for my afternoon coffee!

PXL_20201204_224838878.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I posted something similar to this on the viberg thread yesterday on my C-2's. I love it when I see pristine shell that others post on this site but for me, I prefer aged shell. As such, as much as I love my Ealdwine Cigar Indy's, I need to get some mileage on them. Working from home during the pandemic makes that especially challenging. As such, these have just been added to my dog walking rotation...... View attachment 1510177 View attachment 1510178 View attachment 1510179 View attachment 1510180

Here's the full complement of my dog walking rotation. The 2's are a recent addition but the Black & Tan scouts have been there for about a month. No shine or wiping. And I love the way they look....

Who knows, even with sweats I may be in the hunt for the best dressed dog walker award in Wilkins Township.
Pristine cigar shell in snow?
Noooooooo ?

BAK

Reaction score
It's holiday season. I purchased something from Brooks Brothers to ship to a family member in the Boston area. Brooks Brothers main online/shipping warehouse is only a few miles from the "Windsor Locks, CT" pick up point which is also less than 150 miles from Brookline, MA which is the destination. Even if you say the item had to go to the FedEx hub in NJ (at the airport), it should not have then gone to the FedEx hub in TN (at the airport), and then to the FedEx hub in East Boston (at the airport). This was a mistake and incorrectly routed.

View attachment 1510287

The package travelled 2546 miles although it was originally only 150 miles from its destination.
View attachment 1510292
I don't know that you can blame it all on mistakes (although I do agree it's odd). I routinely receive packages in Maine shipped from Massachusetts. Forever they have made that trip directly in a single day. Since the pandemic began they've consistently traveled first to CT and have taken 2 or 3 days each time. Packages these days are being routed in a manner that make little sense to me but clearly there's a reason for it. Carriers are maxed out like never before - UPS has started refusing to accept packages from Nike, Macy's, Gap, LLBean, etc after certain recently established weekly quotas have been met. Clearly some crazy things going on in the shipping industry.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know that you can blame it all on mistakes (although I do agree it's odd). I routinely receive packages in Maine shipped from Massachusetts. Forever they have made that trip directly in a single day. Since the pandemic began they've consistently traveled first to CT and have taken 2 or 3 days each time. Packages these days are being routed in a manner that make little sense to me but clearly there's a reason for it. Carriers are maxed out like never before - UPS has started refusing to accept packages from Nike, Macy's, Gap, LLBean, etc after certain recently established weekly quotas have been met. Clearly some crazy things going on in the shipping industry.
Strange times, but I just want my boots.........

Reactions: BAK

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know they are, and once the COVID vaccine starts shipping it will be worse, but they were 12 miles from my house, at the hub, yesterday.....I mean how hard is it to say "OH, these should go on a local truck for delivery today" God only knows where they are right now, UPS certainly doesn't.
I had shooz out for delivery a couple days ago and they went back to the usps state distribution center then back again a day later.

Add: they’ve all had months to figure out that more people are ordering from home.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I had shooz out for delivery a couple days ago and they went back to the usps state distribution center then back again a day later.

Add: they’ve all had months to figure out that more people are ordering from home.

At some point you just need more equipment, more facilities & more workers. There might be a bottle neck with one of those. Building facilities takes time, probably more these days.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At some point you just need more equipment, more facilities & more workers. There might be a bottle neck with one of those. Building facilities takes time, probably more these days.

Or... or... they could just deliver it when it’s out for delivery and not send it back to the state distribution center and then redeliver it a day later lol

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

it's not that simple. FedEx and UPS have a difficult time finding drivers and their workforces are getting older every day. When a 22 year old graduates college with $250k in loans, they will never be able to pay that off working for FedEx or UPS. Americans have been told a lie for many years that everyone must go to college, social media has taken the keeping up with the Jones's to an entirely new level, and the middle class is disappearing as most honest factory jobs have been going off shore. The USPS is having the same issue in that older workers are aging and retiring and the USPS cannot hire new younger workers because the benefits are not as good anymore and Americans are no longer happy with a middle class lifestyle. So, saying that they can just figure it out is not understanding the actual problem.

Ask Mike Row because even he can't even give away money for people to attend trade school.

To bring this back to shoes, cost is not the only reason companies like AE move production offshore. When Alden started it was 1 of many New England shoe makers although now they stand alone. Who is going to make your MUSA Aldens if young people are not willing to learn a trade?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's not that simple. FedEx and UPS have a difficult time finding drivers and their workforces are getting older every day. When a 22 year old graduates college with $250k in loans, they will never be able to pay that off working for FedEx or UPS. Americans have been told a lie for many years that everyone must go to college, social media has taken the keeping up with the Jones's to an entirely new level, and the middle class is disappearing as most honest factory jobs have been going off shore. The USPS is having the same issue in that older workers are aging and retiring and the USPS cannot hire new younger workers because the benefits are not as good anymore and Americans are no longer happy with a middle class lifestyle. So, saying that they can just figure it out is not understanding the actual problem.

Ask Mike Row because even he can't even give away money for people to attend trade school.

To bring this back to shoes, cost is not the only reason companies like AE move production offshore. When Alden started it was 1 of many New England shoe makers although now they stand alone. Who is going to make your MUSA Aldens if young people are not willing to learn a trade?
You are fairly accurate in your argument. At one time, in this country, enterting a trade was a viable path to upward mobility. The "need" for a college degree to find meaningful employment is a myth. There is a greater need than ever for people with skills other than academia. Who will fix your plumbing, electrical, HVAC, electric cars......if everyone feels the need to get a degree in some unless discipline. This has been a sore point for me my entire life, I wound up with a "degree" in EE, but was much happier, and better at, actually fixing things with my hands, than I was designing things on paper. The world needs more people who can really DO, other than talk about, have meetings about, theorize about, the doing. Soapbox over, back to footwear.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These ^ need much tlc as most from last season.. shoe and boot cleaning day is in the cards..

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see you finally got the spoiler working???
Thanks to Doc’s tutorial.. can do..

I now understand why my Dad didn’t want us kids to get him a computer.. pissed him off big time with us nudging.. was almost sport for us. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads