• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that didn't get the Cigar Dr. Gs? Lbvs! First world problems... :confused2:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
proconsul aldens are now 40% off. limited selection "Fall40"

Thanks for the heads up. The only thing they have left in my size is the 9503 Brown Suede PTB that would be really interesting if I did not already have a brown suede repello PTB from Carmina.

The Alden is on leather and the Carmina on Dainite so is that enough of a differentiator to own both?

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
so, do I buy a snuff suede belt in preparation for my Alden Madison SP2021 Indy "dade" preorder?

In my own history of pre-ordering accessories at a discount well before the actual item, something always goes wrong and it ends up costing me more in the long run. So unless the main item has already made it through production or is in your hands now and the accessory is going out of stock forever, I would wait. You are talking about very little money/savings on a belt.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigar Plaza Indy's. Between the Steelers trying to give me a heart attack and the time it took me to figure out the laces as I thought I had my go-to AE round ones in this mess of a grab-bag of laces.....

View attachment 1509067

These things are immaculate. Boot making at it's finest and as I've said before, for my money, no one does shell like Alden.....

View attachment 1509073 View attachment 1509074 View attachment 1509075 View attachment 1509076

I don't have much cigar these days but here is a comparison to my perf caps that have evolved to a really olive green. Hope these exhibit similar color over time.....

View attachment 1509087
Personally, I think Indys look best with round braided laces. Love the aesthetics.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cigar Plaza Indy's. Between the Steelers trying to give me a heart attack and the time it took me to figure out the laces as I thought I had my go-to AE round ones in this mess of a grab-bag of laces.....

View attachment 1509067

These things are immaculate. Boot making at it's finest and as I've said before, for my money, no one does shell like Alden.....

View attachment 1509073 View attachment 1509074 View attachment 1509075 View attachment 1509076

I don't have much cigar these days but here is a comparison to my perf caps that have evolved to a really olive green. Hope these exhibit similar color over time.....

View attachment 1509087
Wow, beautiful.......both pair.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my own history of pre-ordering accessories at a discount well before the actual item, something always goes wrong and it ends up costing me more in the long run. So unless the main item has already made it through production or is in your hands now and the accessory is going out of stock forever, I would wait. You are talking about very little money/savings on a belt.
But it's a nice belt.........

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@audog

I prefer calf over shell. I think I even prefer horse butt over shell. I’d prefer shell over cxl. I don’t even consider cxl. I appreciate cordovan, but it isn’t a leather that would make me go crazy as it would for others.
Also, if I do get another pair of shell it would be from Carmina, I really like their Armagnac color. Whiskey, ravello and cigar and whatever rare color Alden offers is nice, but I don’t find it as exciting as reverse chamois, horsebutt, or grain/tumbled leathers. I have a pair of wingtips in Oak Tärnsjö leather and it elevated my appreciation for grain/tumbled leathers. I’ll often sit with my legs crossed and I’ll just randomly caress the leather and a peculiar satisfaction occurs every single time that only people in this forum would comprehend.

From an external perspective; I’m some random well-dressed guy that’s weirdly rubbing his old man shoes whilst spacing out.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Stupid question, but is there anyone else on here, who likes color 8 and black shell more than the "exotic" colors? Maybe even prefer CXL or calf over shell? Asking for a friend......
Colour 8 is king - though dark brown shell from C&J is a close second for me. Anything lighter and I'm looking at calf. I have only had bad experiences with cxl so I no longer look at it.

The chamois leathers are my favourite. Especially hunting green chamois.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Stupid question, but is there anyone else on here, who likes color 8 and black shell more than the "exotic" colors? Maybe even prefer CXL or calf over shell? Asking for a friend......

Especially when it comes to black, sometimes calf or CXL suits a shoe better than shell. Color 8 is hard to beat, though.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like em all... mostly Shell and CXL here lately.. and yes .. the C&J Dark Brown ages into a magnificent Cigar without the olive but more golden. Not that the Alden Olive Cigar isn't just the absolute bomb.. oh the choices..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads