• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else hear that Alden is no longer doing EE or EEE on commando sole shoes/boots :mad::mad:

I believe it’s only on certain larger sizes and wider lasts but I could be mistaken.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it’s only on certain larger sizes and wider lasts but I could be mistaken.
I’ve been told it’s an issue with commando soles and that leather soles aren’t an issue...

For context I tried to order a 9.5EEE Barrie boot on commando (of which I have plenty) and heard this news

EDIT - looks like this impacts Barrie and Trubalance. Presumably Aberdeen, Grant and Plaza will be ok. Also non-commando soles are Ok.

Last edited:

krebsy

Reaction score
Ealdwine reverse chamois Indys in the warm, morning light.
IMG_20201127_082149787_PORTRAIT~2.jpg

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to consult the brain trust on loafer fit on the Van last.

For background, I stuck to 8.5E on the Barrie for a long time, but on advice from one of the Zapatka brothers at TSM, discovered that half a size up and half a width down, 9D, also works well. I'm now equally comfortable in 8.5E and 9D on the Barrie.

I now have a few pairs of LHS on Van in 8.5E, which I love after they've broken in. Do you guys think Van loafers in 9D are likely to work as well?

Many thanks!

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else hear that Alden is no longer doing EE or EEE on commando sole shoes/boots :mad::mad:
It’s not as bad—they can’t do wides on commando with pre-stitched or split welts. They can do commando on flat welt. I have pre-orders in with Ealdwine and Brick + Mortar in eee and checked w/ Jim and Yenni.
Alden is supposedly working on something to work up new commandos...

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked these up this afternoon from Alden of DC. They said they're cigar, but I'm seeing from here and other places they may be mocha. What do you Alden experts think? (It doesn't make a difference to me, but I'm curious.)

Congrats. My ship has come in too. Got the e-mail today, but was unable to drive downtown. I'll probably get them Monday. Brian called them cigar with me as well.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats. My ship has come in too. Got the e-mail today, but was unable to drive downtown. I'll probably get them Monday. Brian called them cigar with me as well.

Either way they are quite nice but to my eyes they are definitely cigar.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Poll: what is the best black cordovan boot? Only rule is that it must have black eyelets

Such general question. Maybe narrow down the style?

Just got my first pair of black shell and went with a more dressier look. Straight tip on Grant, all eyelets and double leather soles.

PXL_20201118_130941766.PORTRAIT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics