• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
#8 wingtip boots.

5383FDF0-9AFA-4DBA-A55A-A22B673DEDA8.jpeg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting in line at the DMV ?

Alden Indy snuff suede & the riri zipper of my Private White navy flight jacket

Attachments

• 7DE22FB4-6181-4978-9BDB-FB170B2F9014.jpeg
    7DE22FB4-6181-4978-9BDB-FB170B2F9014.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 813E492C-C095-42B0-90A5-D6F3A8BB4997.jpeg
    813E492C-C095-42B0-90A5-D6F3A8BB4997.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 30

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that jacket with the shearling? What's the weight like?
Yes it is. I’d say it’s a medium weight, it has a noticeable heft to it but nothing like a thick leather jacket. Although, once you put your phone, wallet keys and other things in your pocket it gets a bit heavy. Especially if you’re standing still in line like I am currently.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the pediatrician for the 3 wk old granddaughter said it would be a good idea if everyone in the family got tested for COVID-19, just as a precaution. Drive up testing is free, so wife and I got there promptly when they opened at 8AM. About 75 cars in front of us, so waited, and waited, and waited, and then waited some more. But got it done in a little over an hour. These seemed like good COVID testing boots.
IMG_5649.JPG

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 birds, 1 post. Yesterday went with @audog suggestion with the Brogue saddles......

20201123_112149.jpg

Strictly coincidentally, came home to these beauties I picked up from the aforementioned boot expert......

20201124_110533.jpg
20201124_111206.jpg
20201124_110644.jpg

Love these! It's the little details at this point and the brougeing on the shaft is unique in my experience with a plain toe boot. This boot really illustrates 2 points. While I love my EG's, Vibergs, etc., for my money, no one does shell like Alden. Additionally, there is no 8 like aged 8.

Lastly, as cool as it is interacting on this forum with @audog, it is as great transacting with him. My first experience and it went flawlessly. Great communication, fast shipping, packed well and exactly as advertised.

Sheepdog

Reaction score
IMG_2696.jpg

Wearing some wintertime favorites today. Interestingly, I measure about a 9.75C or so Brannock, but for some reason this 9D Hampton last pair is probably my best fit. Maybe moving down in length and up a width explains it? In any event, my next pre-order in a TTS last I'll try a 9.5C and see what that's like.

Also, bonus from Saturday with my namesake:

IMG_2677.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 birds, 1 post. Yesterday went with @audog suggestion with the Brogue saddles......

View attachment 1503739

Strictly coincidentally, came home to these beauties I picked up from the aforementioned boot expert......

View attachment 1503741 View attachment 1503742 View attachment 1503743

Love these! It's the little details at this point and the brougeing on the shaft is unique in my experience with a plain toe boot. This boot really illustrates 2 points. While I love my EG's, Vibergs, etc., for my money, no one does shell like Alden. Additionally, there is no 8 like aged 8.

Lastly, as cool as it is interacting on this forum with @audog, it is as great transacting with him. My first experience and it went flawlessly. Great communication, fast shipping, packed well and exactly as advertised.
Thank you, and I'm glad they found a good home.

TommyB

Reaction score
By the way, i have a dude... I usually use a 9 D or E in Barrie Last and 9,5 D in Leydon. Now, with the Black Friday sales, i have a good choice to get a pair of unlined chukkas 1493 but they are only in 9 E and i have no choice to put them before buying because its an online sale.
Do you think that could be my size thanks to the E wide and the soft material (unlined suede) or its a risk to buy them? I have an other Leydon Chukkas in 9,5 D (13290, i think they are lined in suede) and they fit me perfect.
Thanks a lot!
I think the 13290 are actually on Barrie, at least according to aldenmodelproject.com. I think the width of the 1493 in 9E might be OK but would be worried about the length.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By the way, i have a dude... I usually use a 9 D or E in Barrie Last and 9,5 D in Leydon. Now, with the Black Friday sales, i have a good choice to get a pair of unlined chukkas 1493 but they are only in 9 E and i have no choice to put them before buying because its an online sale.
Do you think that could be my size thanks to the E wide and the soft material (unlined suede) or its a risk to buy them? I have an other Leydon Chukkas in 9,5 D (13290, i think they are lined in suede) and they fit me perfect.
Thanks a lot!
So that you don't feel missed, welcome to the forum! Always happy to have another enthusiast.

As far as the sizing, 9E and 9.5E are considered sister sizes and should fit similar. The 9E will have more volume than 9.5D (equal to 9.5D-and-a-half), but will be a bit shorter. So, if you think your foot could handle that change, then go for it. The unlined will feel a bit tighter out of the box, but will also loosen up quicker. I generally don't see people taking Leydon in their Barrie size, but it could work depending on your foot. That said, Fit is King and the worst purchase is a sale item that doesn't fit and gets sold off later. I can't offer any advice on Barrie vs Leydon because Leydon stops at E...and I'm an EE...

Edit: Per @TommyB above, if the other pair you thought was Leydon are Barrie, then I would say the Leydon isn't going to work most likely. Leydon tends to run narrower than Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads