• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vintage Alden 977 Scotch Grain Longwing Blucher with Vcleat heel. Circa 1975. View attachment 1487373
When did Alden drop the v-cleat...did they ever move it in from the edge like Florsheim? At first I was going to say those aren't 75 with the cleat at the edge, until I reread and saw Alden!
Nice photo skills.

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did Alden drop the v-cleat...did they ever move it in from the edge like Florsheim? At first I was going to say those aren't 75 with the cleat at the edge, until I reread and saw Alden!
Nice photo skills.
Thank you. I don’t know exactly when they stopped, but my guess is that the latest they might have used the cleat is the early 80s.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I don’t know exactly when they stopped, but my guess is that the latest they might have used the cleat is the early 80s.
Was there a functional purpose for the cleat or is just aesthetic?

jpm1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there a functional purpose for the cleat or is just aesthetic?
It was to reduce wear on the heel. Traditionally, before there was rubber, heels were made of leather. Leather heels being the traditional shoe construction, many brands continued to use them through the years. Florsheim May have been the last to use the cleated heel in the early 90s.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I was on IG today and for you Pumpkin color Indy boots fans who happen to be a 10.5, Ealdwine found a hidden treasure in their stock. If they were my size, they would be on the way....

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlined BB 8's.. such a fantastic shoe.. sorry they discontinued the model along with all the other Alden and C&J stock. Don't know who's at the helm but the brand is cheapening itself into oblivion.. Sad as they were the go to brand for my working days.. it kills me to see what they are doing to an iconic American haberdashery....
AEA7FBAA-CCAF-4BF3-AC3B-756B19556C3F.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unlined BB 8's.. such a fantastic shoe.. sorry they discontinued the model along with all the other Alden and C&J stock. Don't know who's at the helm but the brand is cheapening itself into oblivion.. Sad as they were the go to brand for my working days.. it kills me to see what they are doing to an iconic American haberdashery.... View attachment 1487419
I totally agree with your assessment. They were my go to for workwear as well, until I found a custom clothier who actually measured me and did MTM suits/shirts/trousers. They all hang (BB and his) in my closet, and I wear jeans......times change.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Unlined BB 8's.. such a fantastic shoe.. sorry they discontinued the model along with all the other Alden and C&J stock. Don't know who's at the helm but the brand is cheapening itself into oblivion.. Sad as they were the go to brand for my working days.. it kills me to see what they are doing to an iconic American haberdashery....

Me three. Brooks Brothers is not what it used to be and I am a 3rd generation customer of the original 44th and Madison store.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was to reduce wear on the heel. Traditionally, before there was rubber, heels were made of leather. Leather heels being the traditional shoe construction, many brands continued to use them through the years. Florsheim May have been the last to use the cleated heel in the early 90s.

I've seen Bedo's videos in which Steve restores Florsheims and installs a new cleat. Pretty cool.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope someone snagged the pumpkin Indy's today,,,,
I haven’t seen many new “405” pics lately. Would like to see if the pumpkin tone is totally gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads