• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAS01

Reaction score
Hey, Gents...

Would appreciate some opinions on the George boot. I've always enjoyed the look of them (I saw a "rock star"--aka street musician--with a similar style boot on when I was a kid), but am concerned about fit.

I cannot wear loafers for the life of me--can't dial in the size/foot sensitivity stuff, yada yada yada. I like a laced shoe so that I can make little adjustments throughout the day/days. Honestly, will probably be a boot only guy at some point in my life because of multiple support points as opposed to shoes... View attachment 1486358

Would this boot be a crapshoot? Does the buckle/strap really offer stability? Or, is this a slip-on with a decoration?

Thanks.

VG

The buckle/strap does offer stability, but it obviously won't be the same as laces. I got a pair of George boots as my first and, so far, only pair of Aldens. They started as my special occasion boots, but have since become my near every-day wear. I have bad feet - fused ankle, limited range of motion, etc. which benefit from a little more ankle support - and I am fully comfortable in these boots. My ONLY complaint is they're a little heavy, but even with the added weight from the shank, my feet don't feel anywhere near as tired or beaten up at the end of the day when compared to any other shoe (except for a pair of steel toe caterpillars with custom orthotics).

As for fit, they fit well enough that I'm not swimming around in them or anything, nor feel them pinching even though I have a high instep that normally feels uncomfortable in other chelsea/chukka boots and derby/bluchers.

Note that mine are on a Barrie last, so the usual Aberdeen construction might fit different re: instep.

Hope that helps a little.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should try some of the Alden brown round laces in those, bet it would look neat.
Look like different boots
IMG_5218.jpeg

johnnymiz

Reaction score
I also have the Barrie version of the george so mine has a looser heel fit and the support is pretty good regardless. I find them to feel more secure than standard 2 eyes, but nowhere near real boots...or even 6 eye chukkas. I like mine very much but the barrie version IS kinda blobby looking. Idk if i would like aberdeen ( i have wide feet), but i DO like plaza and AoC has a great looking plaza george in black calf

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've gone minimal in my wallet area, no longer a George Constanza thing in the back pocket. Debit card, license, medical cards and that's it, so the Ashland Frank the Enforcer is about perfect, and with a Horween stamp, even more so.

drjackal

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got offered a sweet LHS here, but having no experience of buying preowned myself, I would like to ask how far we can restore this shoes back, seeing that the upper is quite creased/squashed
IMG_8425.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.09.08 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.09.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.09.00 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 28

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do the soles look like? I wouldn’t touch them personally. I have found that rolls in used shell that don’t conform to my feet aren’t really comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads