• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtips in a beautifully dark shade.

PXL_20201028_134522594.jpg
PXL_20201028_134943971.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy hump day forum pals. The damp weather and cool temps steered me away from a wingtip and towards boots.

IMG_9577.jpg

johnnymiz

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions that I thought might get some good answers here:

1)What is the preference between speed hooks and normal lace holes on boots? I have speed hooks on my black shell "U-tips" and was wondering how common loose speed hooks are. Aesthetically, I like the look of the speed hooks and functionally I don't mind them either.

2) What makes reverse chamois such a great material for boots in inclement weather? Seems like a lot of people love the material on boots. I personally do not think I have ever owned a shoe or piece of garment that was "reverse chamois", so I'm not familiar with it's texture or properties.

Thanks!
I am the opposite of most here....I absolutely hate speed hooks. They are not speedy for me...pants constantly block my view as i am tying them. As for unlacing, i just open and pull a big first loop, then grab the next x and pull up making sure i hook the previous loop as a stop...move on to the next x and pull up catching the next...and on down. Done this way, each successive x in the laces is half as long as the one above it....making it easy off....and easy on the next time.
I would literally like to switch out all my hooks....except it costs real money and, more importantly, Alden doesnt place hooks in the same line as eyelets so they would be off and it would look wonky.
Ironically, the only pulling hook i have is on reverse chamois

Attachments

• 20201028_121413_copy_490x1008.jpg
    20201028_121413_copy_490x1008.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads