• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tarago Nano spray helps, cornstarch removed the remainder of the hot olive oil coated errant shrimp that hit the suede boot. Now just need to brush the remaining cornstarch from the welt and good to go again. View attachment 1485315

Good to know your boots are safe and healthy. Now I have one more tool (cornstarch) for my shoes in the event that an oily shrip dares to damage my suede.

Regards

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good to know your boots are safe and healthy. Now I have one more tool (cornstarch) for my shoes in the event that an oily shrip dares to damage my suede.

Regards
I was quite pleased with how it worked, a couple of different applications over 2 days and spot is gone. I don't know how it would work on calf, but suspect similar results.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Tuesday. Alden x JCrew Brassvello LWBs.

0B523E7B-BE54-46FD-9BAB-31CF2E42C630.jpeg

3FC71C93-7EE9-4B63-8200-077DED4B5A9F.jpeg

511DEBD7-440B-4181-9D71-EC86D00DBBE1.jpeg

E50A4BBE-80B4-4EC0-97A7-04A2F3C52D79.jpeg

56BE77BA-7CB8-40EA-A187-0427132E749A.jpeg

-Mike

JAS01

Reaction score
Custom orthotics. The new ones are just a couple of mm shorter in height. And that makes all the difference in shoe fit. View attachment 1485366 Podiatrist even had a stationary belt sander thing and we adjusted the heel to fit the Aberdeen lasted shoes I wore to the appointment, and they work fine in even my TB boots.

Howdy, Audog! This intrigues me. I have similar orthotics, custom made, but made prior to purchasing my Barrie last chukkas. I'm looking into purchasing a pair of Monks in a modified last, but now I'm wondering about the possibilities.

I have a talocalcaneal fusion, high arch, plantar fasciitis, and a high instep (I'm a jackpot of ortho weirdness), so my orthotics have arch support, and a slight heel (thus, the modified last interest). I'm curious as to which lasts yours work with, or if the orthotics are cut to fit the shoe(s). Do you need to remove the insole, or is there enough space (vertically)? Do you size up?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Howdy, Audog! This intrigues me. I have similar orthotics, custom made, but made prior to purchasing my Barrie last chukkas. I'm looking into purchasing a pair of Monks in a modified last, but now I'm wondering about the possibilities.

I have a talocalcaneal fusion, high arch, plantar fasciitis, and a high instep (I'm a jackpot of ortho weirdness), so my orthotics have arch support, and a slight heel (thus, the modified last interest). I'm curious as to which lasts yours work with, or if the orthotics are cut to fit the shoe(s). Do you need to remove the insole, or is there enough space (vertically)? Do you size up?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
The orthotics work with Plaza/Barrie/TB/Modified/379x lasts(boots) in my normal size, although are a bit tight with heavy boot socks. I tried on a pair of all the above yesterday. They are a tiny bit tight on Aberdeen shoes, causing a wider V-gap in the laces, but not painful. I would probably go up a width going forward on lace shoes, but not a major issue. Don't work worth a darn on loafers. I have not removed any insoles, and would rather have some foot pain than slice up my Aldens :) The orthotics were not cut to fit a particular last, but we did adjust them with a stationary belt sander type of thing to allow a better fit in Aberdeen heel area, plus Doctor trimmed them a bit shorter than they came from company. I have come to understand that the orthotic companies assume one is wearing some type of athletic shoe, so size them accordingly. Since I don't have many actual foot issues, the orthotics are simply to keep the foot in proper alignment due to missing ankle tendon, or ligament. The orthotics compensate for the messed up geometry due to this. Talk to your podiatrist and have them custom make some (not Dr. Scholls from Walmart). They will work better and be more comfortable.

Reactions: AHS

JAS01

Reaction score
The orthotics work with Plaza/Barrie/TB/Modified/379x lasts(boots) in my normal size, although are a bit tight with heavy boot socks. I tried on a pair of all the above yesterday. They are a tiny bit tight on Aberdeen shoes, causing a wider V-gap in the laces, but not painful. I would probably go up a width going forward on lace shoes, but not a major issue. Don't work worth a darn on loafers. I have not removed any insoles, and would rather have some foot pain than slice up my Aldens :) The orthotics were not cut to fit a particular last, but we did adjust them with a stationary belt sander type of thing to allow a better fit in Aberdeen heel area, plus Doctor trimmed them a bit shorter than they came from company. I have come to understand that the orthotic companies assume one is wearing some type of athletic shoe, so size them accordingly. Since I don't have many actual foot issues, the orthotics are simply to keep the foot in proper alignment due to missing ankle tendon, or ligament. The orthotics compensate for the messed up geometry due to this. Talk to your podiatrist and have them custom make some (not Dr. Scholls from Walmart). They will work better and be more comfortable.
Thank you, that's a huge help/relief! I'll schedule an appointment with my ortho and see if the inserts I have can be modified, or if I need new ones (they're like 7 years old at this point, time for a new pair anyway, since they were only supposed to be for like 5).

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pair of the Alden slip-on chukkas ("Traveler") they can share pictures of here? I've seen them pop up in a few places (TSM, Alden on Madison, and now Leffot too - here's a link to TSM's version) but I've only seen one review over on Reddit. I'm weirdly tempted by these but wonder if that's just cabin fever setting in...

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Any recommendations on how to deal with a loose speed hook? Just starting to come out of the shell upper. I was a little disappointed to see this this morning after only having two occasions to wear these since I first got them. On both occasions I was very careful to not crank down on the speed hooks after having browsed the proceeding 600 pages here and heard that that can be a leading cause for this. Thankfully only one hook is loose/coming out. Is it as simple as just using a pair of plyers (with some protective material to prevent scratching) and just give it a little squeeze? Or does the pressure have to go into the concave inner part of the hook? I'm decently handy and have an arsenal of tools at my disposal, so hoping someone here has had a good experience fixing it themselves.

Any recommendations from those more experienced than I would be hugely appreciated!

View attachment 1479664

Got word today that my boots are already on their way back to me from Alden - speedy service! I received a call and was told they were a little "over zealous" when fixing the loose hooks and it resulted in some indentation on the inner layers of leather. Not exactly sure what to expect from that, but I'm hoping they did a good job and didn't damage my basically new boots...

Side note - I asked them about replacing the tongues since they're about a thick as a piece of paper and one is super crooked. They said it's not possible since the sewing machines would have a hard time getting down there. Anyone else know anything about how impossible it really is? Other bootmakers can do it I know.

aaronj15

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions that I thought might get some good answers here:

1)What is the preference between speed hooks and normal lace holes on boots? I have speed hooks on my black shell "U-tips" and was wondering how common loose speed hooks are. Aesthetically, I like the look of the speed hooks and functionally I don't mind them either.

2) What makes reverse chamois such a great material for boots in inclement weather? Seems like a lot of people love the material on boots. I personally do not think I have ever owned a shoe or piece of garment that was "reverse chamois", so I'm not familiar with it's texture or properties.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads