• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
...Coming from a financially poor family/community (youngest of 5, first to go to college)...

...Now that I'm roughly 3-4 years from retirement, I will never wear my shoes to the point where they age like I prefer. Sheesh, 1st world problems...

I say, enjoy what you have, take care of it, repair it if needed, and get what you want because it sounds like you earned it.

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(1) First and foremost, I needed to understand and accept that fit is king.

(2) I decided I would rather have fix or six pairs I love than 10, 15, 25+ I like.

(3) I committed to being disciplined and focusing on pairs I really wanted.

That's Gold Jerry, Gold.

But seriously, I think I really need to get back to rule #2 because it will cure my decision paralysis and improve my mental health (as related to owning and maintaining shoes). I know this might be heresy on this forum but I may try to follow the 7 shoe wardrobe rule (in an abbreviated fashion):
  • Black oxford
  • Brown oxford
  • Brown brogue
  • Black tassel loafer
  • Color 8 loafer/LHS
  • Brown PTB
  • Snuff Suede Chukka

If you were limited to 7 shoes (not including work/snow boots and sneakers) what would they be?
(I really hope others are willing to share their lists as it might be a really fun exercise)

Last edited:
Reactions: AHS

pedromvu

Reaction score
Since I was a child have always hated to wear formal stuff, they made me do it when going to certain celebrations, for me it was just uncomfortable, also school forced black dress shoes and tucked in shirts and no long hair which probably was what made me never want to go back to that kind of clothes again.

Frankly I have never understood dress codes in workplace outside of jobs where you have to meet customers, but even then, everybody should be comfortable, some people are comfortable wearing formal attire.

Then one day I discovered boots, I had run out of sneakers I liked and eventually I ended up in the goodyearwelt reddit, I thought any kind of dress shoe (for me a dress shoe was anything that is not a sneaker) could not be comfortable, mainly because I hate the feeling and slipperiness of leather soles, but then I started buying higher quality boots that are actually very comfortable.

Now this doesn't mean I wanted to suddenly dress more formal, but discovered that on the office now wearing a sweater, dark jeans and boots, weirdly now everybody perceives that as being on the more formal side, which I guess makes sense for the IT industry at least.

I guess it's also part about how you perceive yourself, the way you see yourself could also help how comfortable you are, maybe that's why I don't like chinos too much, maybe they are more comfortable than jeans, but I prefer the look of jeans, and when I wear formal stuff for a wedding or something I don't feel I look better, or maybe I just don't like that style, but it's fine for special occasions, but mainly because everyone is expecting it.

Anyway with work from home I am not even sure when I will get to wear boots again, only when going out to buy stuff but its still too hot here.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's Gold Jerry, Gold.

But seriously, I think I really need to get back to rule #2 because it will cure my decision paralysis and improve my mental health (as related to owning and maintaining shoes). I know this might be heresy on this forum but I may try to follow the 7 shoe wardrobe rule (in an abbreviated fashion):
  • Black oxford
  • Brown oxford
  • Brown brogue
  • Black tassel loafer
  • Color 8 loafer/LHS
  • Brown PTB
  • Snuff Suede Chukka

If you were limited to 7 shoes (not including work/snow boots and sneakers) what would they be?
(I really hope others are willing to share their lists as it might be a really fun exercise)

I like this exercise, I play it a lot.
1. Black cap toe oxford
2. Color 8 quarter brogue oxford
3. Color 8 plain toe blucher
4. Brown long wing blucher
5. Color 8 tassel loafer
6. Brown LHS loafer
7. Brown Indy boot

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Limited to 7???????
1. 405 Indy Boots
2. Color 8 NST Boots
3. Natty cap toe Boots
4. Blue/white saddle shoes
5. Brown CXL cap toe Boots
6. Suede (any color) full strap loafers
7. Color 8 Cap toe Boots

This was a hard exercise to do, as I left out so many I love......

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - only 7. That's tough. But, it makes sense as a capsule collection

1. oxblood calf Adelaide oxford, most of my suits are navy and I find oxblood works best (this is my most worn dress shoe)
2. dark brown calf shortwing Adelaide austerity brogue, perfect with mid grey (this is my second most worn shoe for work - either with odd trousers or a suit)
3. black calf oxford Alden 901, for the rare occasion that I need black shoes
4. Alden Indy #8 shell cordovan on commando - so robust, a great casual boot, pairs perfectly with jeans
5. Alden U-tip Plaza cigar Shell on commando - equally robust, but more formal last, could be worn with odd trousers to work
6. Monk Straps - I don't like most monks and I really don't like double monks. But, I have a pair of Edward Green oundle in pine and snuff suede with a medallion and they are the perfect business casual shoes. The strap/buckle doesn't make you look like you arrived on the Mayflower, it's sleek and swept back, plus the color combination is just right.
7. NST bluchers dark brown suede (chocolate) - need something suede to wear in the fall/winter business casual. I like dark brown suede. A rubber sole is helpful but not necessary. Pairs perfectly with grey flannel trousers

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I’d change this list every day. And I’m leaving a ton out.

But... I could do with:

405 Indy (Pumpkins)
AE Park Ave Black
AE Walnut Strand
AE Fifth Ave Dark Brown
AE MacNeil Navy Shell
Florsheim Imperial LWB (“Color 8”) Shell
Alden PCT Boot Black Calf

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, I’d change this list every day. And I’m leaving a ton out.

But... I could do with:

405 Indy (Pumpkins)
AE Park Ave Black
AE Walnut Strand
AE Fifth Ave Dark Brown
AE MacNeil Navy Shell
Florsheim Imperial LWB (“Color 8”) Shell
Alden PCT Boot Black Calf
+1 on the Pumpkin 405's

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow! I love shoes and boots, but the decision-paralysis I would face every day. I also would be distraught not being able to wear all my shoes and boots as much as I’d like, bc I’d feel pressure to wear a different pair every day or every other day.

Much thanks my-man. While pressure might be a bit strong, you have captured my dilemma perfectly.

I say, enjoy what you have, take care of it, repair it if needed, and get what you want because it sounds like you earned it.

EXACTLY.......and thanks!

That's Gold Jerry, Gold.

• Black oxford
  • Brown oxford
  • Brown brogue
  • Black tassel loafer
  • Color 8 loafer/LHS
  • Brown PTB
  • Snuff Suede Chukka

Have seen many variations of this and never participated because quite honestly, it just requires too much thought. But heck, we're in the middle (maybe) of a pandemic, what the heck else do I have to do........

1. Leffot Dearborn (50th BD gift from wife, mother-in-law and son)
  2. EG Brown Galways
  3. Ravello Splits
  4. Barrie lasted color 8 splits - dark edges
  5. Barrie lasted color 8 unlined splits - antique
  6. Whiskey George - plaza
  7. Hampton color 8 perforated cap toe bal's
  8. Cigar LHS's - van, antique
I tried to keep a balance between shoes and boots because quite honestly, I love boots and if I was retired, my list would likely include 5 boots, 2 shoes. 2 variable. I've got cigar Indy plaza's and color 8 plain toes on 379x from Brogue on preorder. Both of these would likely make the list. Also, notable misses......

• Ravello u-tip barrie-lasted boots
  • C&J unlined whiskey loafers
  • Viberg color 2 perf caps
  • Alden cigar per cap plaza boots
  • AE Natty Shell Graysons
Damn this was hard. Way too much thinking on the weekend. Seriously, I enjoyed doing it as well as reading others list. I really do need to begin liquidating and this exercise may have started the planning process.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah! Look what came in the mail!

Decisions. Decisions. Might have to re-think my “list of 7” after all...

88D96848-6F5C-4F47-A880-998DFA1CD0DD.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads