• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL ALDEN THREAD FOR 2020 - SHARE REVIEWS, SIZING, ADVICE, AND PHOTOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Outlier I am then, and no where near a billionaire, or even millionaire, just a guy who likes to dress well.
I once worked with a guy, who unfortunately passed away a few years ago but was really, really good with clothing/shoes/fashion. He once told me "One never insults anyone by dressing well"

I'm also getting tired of all the names people use to make casual wear sound more interesting. A few years ago I was invited to a wedding in SoCal and the invitation read "Malibu Chic" for dress. And one of the worst is "athleisurewear" which I find even more annoying since spell checkers now recognize it as an actual word.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My family dressed more formal.. no jeans allowed.. then liberalization in college.. he was pissed.. thankfully Bass Weegens and Gant shirts to save the day.. he could do a turn around layup in 5 nail tips .. finger tip.. we were in our Converse high tops.. miss the big man

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm also getting tired of all the names people use to make casual wear sound more interesting. A few years ago I was invited to a wedding in SoCal and the invitation read "Malibu Chic" for dress. And one of the worst is "athleisurewear" which I find even more annoying since spell checkers now recognize it as an actual word.
Malibu chic?athleisurewear? I would wear a freakin suit and tie and the hell with them, and a nice pair of bluchers or maybe if casual, tassel loafers. When my youngest son got married, my now daughter-in-law, requested I wear my tuxedo (yes I own my own tux) as it would be "classy" and her own Dad wouldn't have anything nearly as nice.....her words. Everyone should have something in their closet that would "knock the socks off" of others...just my opinion.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My family dressed more formal.. no jeans allowed.. then liberalization in college.. he was pissed.. thankfully Bass Weegens and Gant shirts to save the day.. he could do a turn around layup in 5 nail tips .. finger tip.. we were in our Converse high tops.. miss the big man

Memory lane. My grandfather never wore jeans. My father wore a suit (or jacket and wool slacks) with bowtie and Alden tassels every day in the hospital. In exam room with patient, suit jacket was always replaced with white lab coat but back to suit jacket for office or around the hospital. Chinos on the weekend. My older brother who is also a doc, lives in scrubs all day long, times have changed. Bass weejuns really bring back memories, what about bass dirty bucs?

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Malibu chic?athleisurewear? I would wear a freakin suit and tie and the hell with them, and a nice pair of bluchers or maybe if casual, tassel loafers. When my youngest son got married, my now daughter-in-law, requested I wear my tuxedo (yes I own my own tux) as it would be "classy" and her own Dad wouldn't have anything nearly as nice.....her words. Everyone should have something in their closet that would "knock the socks off" of others...just my opinion.

I'll admit my tux has gotten a little dusty these past number of years as black tie does not seem to be a thing anymore. Again, I link it to the casualization of society (see below).

What is with the inclusion of spandex into wool suits creating "stretch fabric". Why would anyone do that as the material does not last and a correct fitting suit does not need to stretch? Why does anyone need a stretch fabric suit, are you going to the gym or the office?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll admit my tux has gotten a little dusty these past number of years as black tie does not seem to be a thing anymore. Again, I link it to the casualization of society (see below).

What is with the inclusion of spandex into wool suits creating "stretch fabric". Why would anyone do that as the material does not last and a correct fitting suit does not need to stretch? Why does anyone need a stretch fabric suit, are you going to the gym or the office?
OMG, I have wondered that for years! If one gets a suit/tux/sport coat properly fit and tailored, why have stretch fabric...I'm not going to gain 45 lbs between wears :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This 34 year old agrees! Helps being an attorney, I guess. Just when I think I'm done, I see a new variation I "need."
I wanted to go to law school, life got in the way. All I can say is this: dress well, be comfortable in what you are wearing and WEAR GOOD SHOES, as they are noticed first (for some weird reason)

Sheepdog

Reaction score
I wanted to go to law school, life got in the way. All I can say is this: dress well, be comfortable in what you are wearing and WEAR GOOD SHOES, as they are noticed first (for some weird reason)

Sounds like you dodged a bullet!

And yes, nothing ruins an otherwise good outfit like bad shoes. If nothing else, we've got that covered!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll admit my tux has gotten a little dusty these past number of years as black tie does not seem to be a thing anymore
AHHH, but you have a Tux,and when the occasion arrises, you are ready! Think James Bond, always a tux at the ready. I don't think my Tux has been out of the suit bag, in my closet, in 4 years. but if/when I need it I have it!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like you dodged a bullet!

And yes, nothing ruins an otherwise good outfit like bad shoes. If nothing else, we've got that covered!
I don't know if dodging a bullet, although "Life" did give me a great son (unfortunately suicide at age 25), and a career path that I excelled at. Still would have liked to have become a lawyer, no idea why, but arguing in court appeals to me.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
38 year old dermatology physician here. Most formal shoes I wear are probably my various shell C&J or Alden shortwings/longwings. Have a bunch of shell loafers (Alden LHS, Rancourt shell), tons of Alden boots (wingtip, Indys, plain toes, in shell and calf and CXL). I wear any and all styles on any given day. Fridays I’m in scrubs - with Nine Pegasus or classic Chuck Taylors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads